Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times

Advertisements

A person, upon being captured and tortured for years, is bound to end up with some psychological scars which last a lifetime.

We can easily observe that in McCain's answers at Saddleback. So many questions unrelated to war were directed back, by him, to a war experience.

Even the question of evil, a philosophical and often religious one, was answered in terms of war and containing no introspection or soul searching.
One would expect that such an internal dialogue would be both understood and welcomed by a religious audience.

I thought, at first, these convenient and flip answers were just McCain's assessment of the a low mentality of the specific public that he was performing for, an insult to the spiritually inclined.

Now, I am considering that the man cannot get past his horrific experience, and it could very well be coloring his every thought.

If this is the circumstance, I think it is dangerous to have such a mentality making judgments in the oval office that will affect our very lives. I also feel pity for him that, in spite of the money and multiple houses and the lovely wife, his soul is obviously still so obviously troubled. My wish is that he finds peace at this later stage of his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 03:52 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
yes.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:56 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,899 times
When a candidate like Obama has to be "introspective" to answer simple questions, you really have to worry.............is this introspection, or a sneak-peek at an off-stage "vote meter"!

Old 08-27-2008, 04:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
A person, upon being captured and tortured for years, is bound to end up with some psychological scars which last a lifetime.
The same might be said of a woman held captive in a loveless marriage. Hillary Clinton comes to mind.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:03 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,193 times
Well, I'm sure he had aftereffects, but I imagine he's gotten a lot of counseling for it?

He has serious anger issues though.

I like the guy, personally...but I still don't want him to be my president.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:05 PM

857 posts, read 2,003,020 times
no no no. you've got it all wrong. military service automatically elevates you to god status. Nothing else matters.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The same might be said of a woman held captive in a loveless marriage. Hillary Clinton comes to mind.
I think a full health report should be permanently available to the public, along with a psychological profile from an unbiased source.
Probably impossible.

Not all marriages are traditional, though. Some people just think they are a good team and have goals other than the traditional ones. Bill and Hill may be of that sort. Marriage is based on much more than sex, and sometimes it is harder to find a good reliable friend who 'pulls' through life the same way you do than it is to find a good sex partner. So, I can understand a woman putting up with a man like Bill and still being happy AND feeling loved. I think the biggest distress to her was that it was made public and had a career impact.

This thing called 'love' means many things to many people.
I don't think Hillary's marriage was, indeed, loveless.
Perhaps Bill was the one who felt that way: we don't know.

Today no woman needs be trapped.
Women have careers and many options through which to plan their lives.
Trapped women are usually those who have elected to make bad choices and in these days are responsible for those decisions.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:30 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
Of course, anyone with a modicum of knowledge of history can see this as a ruse. Should we then discount other famous historical figures who were imprisoned, such as Gandhi, Saul of Tarsus, Mandela, Churchill, Sartre, Solzhenitsyn, even George Washington. And perhaps most famous, Jesus Christ. I do believe historical accounts tell that these wronged heroes went on to do great things for their people and their country, and have made the world a better place.

As an aside, the old "four more years" no longer working, so now McCain is being increasingly assaulted on a personal level to discredit him. Interesting dynamic.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,761 times
You mean nuts as in peanuts or simply balls? Please clarify!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:43 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
When a candidate like Obama has to be "introspective" to answer simple questions, you really have to worry.............is this introspection, or a sneak-peek at an off-stage "vote meter"!
How can John McCain give a "simple" answer to complex questions and be believable? His Answer to when life begins was "at Conception" meaning that as soon as a child is conceived, it's life should never be taken away. Yet John McCain voted for the bill that allowed Abortion ( a life being taken away) for Rape. What happened to the life begins at conception there? Doesn't the baby have as much importance if it was unwanted sex than than a baby who's mother had a drunken sexual night with a stranger, who now also has an unwanted baby. How can a man say he is "PRO-LIFE" and send missiles into a town and destroy life? It isn't being "PRO-LIFE" it's just being pro-choice with the choice being made by the senate. Are these the actions of a sane man? Send in missiles to kill but never allow a woman to decide if she wants an abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections