Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:55 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Seems to me that I learned early on in a biology class that nature has a way of dealing with overpopulation of a species. Excess prey usually results in addtional preditors, and excess preditors die off when there is insufficent prey. Over time, given no outside interference, the balance is restored. Many environmentalists are opposed to outside intervention. This too is science, not emotion. But nice try!
One fellow in the bush iN AK I've talked with some hasn't seen a moose in several years. The wolves have wiped them out where he is, they haven't returned yet either, and we're talking well over a decade...

These radical animal rights types don't base their positions on science but appeal to emotions instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 02:56 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Seems to me that I learned early on in a biology class that nature has a way of dealing with overpopulation of a species. Excess prey usually results in additional predators, and excess predators die off when there is insufficient prey. Over time, given no outside interference, the balance is restored. Many environmentalists are opposed to outside intervention. This too is science, not emotion. But nice try!

Since wolves don't have a census count they have no clue how much of their food they have left. They will eat it till it's all gone....then no more wolf. Is that easier to understand?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:56 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresdale View Post
...It's loss of habitat.
Loss of habitat? Due to...?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:57 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Just to give those unfamiliar some solid information on the why and how without any of the emotion or love of furry animals thrown in. I find wolves fascinating, and it sucks to think of them being killed. You have to look beyond the individual animals sometimes though and think of the species, other species and the ecosystem as a whole.

Aerial Wolf Predator Control in Alaska, Alaska Department of Fish and Game Videos

Old 09-12-2008, 02:57 PM

857 posts, read 2,002,722 times
Quote:
Seems to me that I learned early on in a biology class that nature has a way of dealing with overpopulation of a species. Excess prey usually results in addtional preditors, and excess preditors die off when there is insufficent prey. Over time, given no outside interference, the balance is restored. Many environmentalists are opposed to outside intervention. This too is science, not emotion. But nice try!
+1000
Just about to post this myself.

Unless you are republican. Then humans control every aspect of the universe.
Wait I thought that was God. No wait - I got it - God with his almighty powers, gives humans the ability to control every aspect of the universe.

Sounds about right

Old 09-12-2008, 02:59 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
Why should I? I'm perfectly comfortable with the amount of wildlife where I live. If I ever feel like there is too many wolves, bees, bears, etc. for me to live comfortably, I'll just have to move somewhere else, rather than try to change nature.

yeah I know what you're saying, but this is rarely the case. I live in NJ where they try this garbage every year w/ the black bear population. Who do you think is lobbying for the hunting restrictions on bears? NEVER any biologists, environmentalists, or scientists with environmental concerns. ALWAYS a bunch of gun-toting rednecks foaming at the mouth to get a chance to put a giant stuffed bear in their already tacky living room next to the fish that sings every time you walk past it.
You state humans are overpopulated but you're not willing to harm yourself to solve the problem.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:01 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
+1000
Just about to post this myself.

Unless you are republican. Then humans control every aspect of the universe.
Wait I thought that was God. No wait - I got it - God with his almighty powers, gives humans the ability to control every aspect of the universe.

Sounds about right
The folks in Wyoming and Montana may beg to differ. They have actually lived through the uncontrolled over population of wolves and bear. Experience v.s theory? Which should I go with?
By the way I am not a republican. Independent or Libertarian but not republican or democrat. I have my pride.

857 posts, read 2,002,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You state humans are overpopulated but you're not willing to harm yourself to solve the problem.
Yeah exactly Ted Nugent, there are ways to solve problems without blowing up every living thing that inconveniences you.

389 posts, read 1,095,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You are simply so wrong. Talk with the AK Fish and Game people about wolves. They're overpopulated in certain areas, not statewide. Those areas where the problem is severe is where the predator control takes place. Loss of habitat isn't an issue yet in Alaska for the most part, seeing as how less than 1 percent of the land is privately owned and available for development...
Loss of habitat isn't a problem yet? An average of 600 moose are hit by cars a year in Alaska. That has nothing to do with loss of habitat? Okay.

Again, they're not overpopulated. They just happen to be fighting against man for the moose/deer and elk meat and they're losing.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:05 PM

389 posts, read 1,095,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Loss of habitat? Due to...?
Roads, trains...global warming (at least for polar bears).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections