Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 03:00 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
From your own source:
Quote:
Ben Smith of the Politico confirmed the report.
"She paid for it with her own money," Wetherell told Smith in an email.
UPDATE: US Weekly has more:
According to Wetherell, the tanning bed was purchased used, from a health club.
So, she bought a tanning bed. Are you just jealous cause she didn't buy one for you, too? Grow up.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:01 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,634 times
In order for light therapy to help Seasonal Affective Disorder, the eyes need to be unprotected by goggles and your eyes need to take in the light. You can't go into a tanning bed and allow your eyes to be unprotected, so tanning beds do not help with SAD. Light boxes do. Also, tanning beds don't put out the right wavelength of light. Tanning salons no answer for SAD, warns doctor

Having said that, I will admit that I personally feel better when I don't look pasty white, however, I am aware of the wrinkling that can occur with years of overexposure, as well as the skin cancer danger. Therefore, usually I'm quite pasty white .

If Palin paid for the sunbed, I have no issues with her having one. She can decide to prematurely age herself (and her kids) if she so desires.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:07 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
In order for light therapy to help Seasonal Affective Disorder, the eyes need to be unprotected by goggles and your eyes need to take in the light. You can't go into a tanning bed and allow your eyes to be unprotected, so tanning beds do not help with SAD. Light boxes do. Also, tanning beds don't put out the right wavelength of light. Tanning salons no answer for SAD, warns doctor

Having said that, I will admit that I personally feel better when I don't look pasty white, however, I am aware of the wrinkling that can occur with years of overexposure, as well as the skin cancer danger. Therefore, usually I'm quite pasty white .

If Palin paid for the sunbed, I have no issues with her having one. She can decide to prematurely age herself (and her kids) if she so desires.
I agree. If she wanted one and bought one, that's her business. My brother and his wife have one in their house. No big deal.

But I have to say Sarah Palin is pretty fair skined. She doesn't look to me like she's been tanning...

And also have to say tanning beds have helped me with SAD. Maybe it was only psychological but it seemed to help. I would be SOOO depressed if I had to live in Alaska. I saw Greta up there wearing a jacket in earlier September - oh hell no! I like Indian summers that stretch to the end of October and spring that comes in March. And I tolerate November, December, Jan and Feb but I do not like it. Esp. Jan and Feb. Blah.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:08 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Who watches her kid when she uses it?
Who watches your kid when you take a shower?

Old 09-16-2008, 03:10 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
It's night for a month sometimes (isn't it?).......who cares!!??

Old 09-16-2008, 03:24 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Who watches her kid when she uses it?
LOL This thread is hilarious. Probably the first dude, or one of the "assistants to the governor" who spends much of her time watching Palin's kids (this is true and not a joke).

But I will agree with the right wingers, this is probably the only issue that doesn't bother me about Palin, except that I find it astounding that people would age themselves in this manner. There are far bigger issues about Palin that worries me.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:27 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
It'll be right next to the presidential tattoo parlour, head shop and shooting range.
Wait (puff) I thought Obama was the one doing bongs (puff) during his formative younger years (exhale) Was Obama at least honest enough to say he inhaled? (not that theres anything wrong with that)
Maybe the head shop could generate a nice profit to offset the Chicago-style Democratic machine tax increases he will try to implement. Like raising capital gains. Wait, Barack forgot to research how many middle-class and upper-middle class people have mutual funds? His buddies in Cook County just gave us the highest sales taxes in the nation 10.25% while increasing an already bloated headcount. Their own democratic County Treasurer begged to teach the other departments how to do more with less people by using new fangled technologies like the computer and the internet. But then again cutting headcount diminishes your clout and ability to be re-elected and create personal job security at taxpayer expense. Just look VERY closely at who taught Barack politics. This op-ed might help Obama sidesteps reform in Illinois -- chicagotribune.com
Winds of change? Just blowing smoke!
So go ahead and pick on Palin; but maybe you want to check the skeletons in the closet of your candidate first. They all have them. Which ones really matter?

Old 09-16-2008, 03:36 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Wait (puff) I thought Obama was the one doing bongs (puff) during his formative younger years (exhale) Was Obama at least honest enough to say he inhaled? (not that theres anything wrong with that)
Maybe the head shop could generate a nice profit to offset the Chicago-style Democratic machine tax increases he will try to implement. Like raising capital gains. Wait, Barack forgot to research how many middle-class and upper-middle class people have mutual funds? His buddies in Cook County just gave us the highest sales taxes in the nation 10.25% while increasing an already bloated headcount. Their own democratic County Treasurer begged to teach the other departments how to do more with less people by using new fangled technologies like the computer and the internet. But then again cutting headcount diminishes your clout and ability to be re-elected and create personal job security at taxpayer expense. Just look VERY closely at who taught Barack politics. This op-ed might help Obama sidesteps reform in Illinois -- chicagotribune.com
Winds of change? Just blowing smoke!
So go ahead and pick on Palin; but maybe you want to check the skeletons in the closet of your candidate first. They all have them. Which ones really matter?

I think Obama's thing was coke and alcohol......you know those ivy leaguers.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:46 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
Self tanning is a lot more modern. How 80s.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:18 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
She'll live to regret it, I know one lady who uses one on a regular basis, has been for about 8 years, she is now 52 and her skin looks like old used leather shoes.
There was a woman I worked with that looked 40. She used sunscreen everyday. She was 66. After I found out her age, I was amazed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
"Mr Pale and Pasty" has had serious bouts of skin cancer. At least we know he has sense enough not to expose his skin to more sun rays just so he'll look good.
Very true.
I rather be "pale and pasty" than have skin cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections