Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 07:10 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,269 times

Advertisements

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've already read about Hoover's causing the Great Depression, and that he was a Republican. But who is to say, BHO has?

Quote:
Election '08: The Obama campaign is using Wall Street's woes as a new rationale for its massive tax increases and protectionism. The last president to take that approach helped cause the Great Depression.

According to Barack Obama's running mate, Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Del., agreeing to pay lots more taxes is patriotic. "We want to take money and put it back in the pocket of middle-class people," the Democratic vice presidential nominee told ABC's "Good Morning America." He said, "It's time to be patriotic" and "be part of the deal, time to help get America out of the rut."

Not unlike Bill Clinton campaigning in 1992, Sen. Obama promises a middle-class tax cut at the expense of the rich.

But it was less than a month after his inauguration in 1993 that President Clinton, intent on so much new government "investment," gave a televised Oval Office address to the nation announcing that instead of a middle-class tax cut there would be a middle-class tax hike, "because the deficit has increased so much beyond my earlier estimates."

With Clinton expenditure plans in the 1992 campaign dwarfed now by Obama's — Obama would add more than $343 billion in annual spending according to the National Taxpayers Union — his vows of middle-class tax cuts should be scrutinized carefully.
Beware a man who just wants to raise taxes on the rich. Where do you think the rich make their money, off other rich? Hah! Once he has 'em by the nads, their hearts and minds will follow.

IBDeditorials.com: Editorials, Political Cartoons, and Polls from Investor's Business Daily -- Obama Dusts Off Hoover Playbook (http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=306630223671321 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
The rich in this country have had their way for more than 10 years. They wanted wars, they got wars! They wanted no regulation and they got that too. They wanted no unions and they got no unions. They wanted massive government taxpayer bailouts of their stupid decisions and they got that. It is time for them to pay for it all!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:19 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The rich in this country have had their way for more than 10 years. They wanted wars, they got wars! They wanted no regulation and they got that too. They wanted no unions and they got no unions. They wanted massive government taxpayer bailouts of their stupid decisions and they got that. It is time for them to pay for it all!
Amen, amen!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:26 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Quote:
How are we going to pay for Santa Claus Obama's social programs when we have trillions of dollars in debt already? China owns us. We are a sinking ship. No matter who is elected, we are screwed, and our way of life will drastically change. It's not just about the rich, it is about all of us wanting our new cell phones, flat screen TV's, bigger houses, new cars, etc. while wanting someone else to pay the bill on our health care, child care, student loans, etc. Now we have had the government bail us out of the mortgage crisis that they created by insisting that loans be given to people who had no business getting mortgages in order to be "fair." You can tax the rich all you want, but the whole system is about to collapse, and it really doesn't matter who is elected.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:29 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,250 times
FYI, Herbert Hoover did not cause the great depression it was a culmination of happenings before his presidency.

SOURCE: Herbert Hoover Presidential Library

Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
As I wrote, just where TF do you think they get their money, from the other rich? You're blinder than I already thought you were if you don't know that answer.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
As I wrote, just where TF do you think they get their money, from the other rich? You're blinder than I already thought you were if you don't know that answer.
you're very mistaken, they've gotten their money by lending it to you and I.. they give you 20k to go buy your car.. and when you pay them back over 5 years.. they get 30k.
or they lend you money to buy your house for 250k.. and in 30 years time.. they get 600k out of you.. They control the money.. and lend it to the masses because our wages do not afford us to save for such things in a lifetime.. so we get everything on credit from the rich..
They got greedy and counted on all those loans as being a solid asset before they even came to term.. and then all of us maxed our credit cards out and lines of credit.. and the cycle stopped and shifted in reverse.. and the money they've bought things with wasn't even "earned" yet.
There is a difference between stated net income and actual Earned Income...

Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
you're very mistaken, they've gotten their money by lending it to you and I.. they give you 20k to go buy your car.. and when you pay them back over 5 years.. they get 30k.
or they lend you money to buy your house for 250k.. and in 30 years time.. they get 600k out of you.. They control the money.. and lend it to the masses because our wages do not afford us to save for such things in a lifetime.. so we get everything on credit from the rich..
They got greedy and counted on all those loans as being a solid asset before they even came to term.. and then all of us maxed our credit cards out and lines of credit.. and the cycle stopped and shifted in reverse.. and the money they've bought things with wasn't even "earned" yet.
There is a difference between stated net income and actual Earned Income...
You just repeated - in definitive terms, thankfully - what I wrote in reply to KevK. Thanks!

BTW, The last time I took out a loan for anything, and I mean anything was, was, was, hm, I think it was in 1996 or 1997. Course, I don't own my abode, I rent, so I'm flexible in that aspect. I do, however, own everything else I have - two cars, a truck, a trailer, woodworking tools, mechanic-type tools, sure is nice NOT having credit cards. And if I can't afford something, well, I don't need it, or I save my nickels and dimes until I can get it.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:48 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
The GOP wants to make the media the enemy, while the democrats want to make the rich the enemy. But funny thing is, lots of rich democrats ... Obamas????

Old 09-19-2008, 07:49 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
FYI, Herbert Hoover did not cause the great depression it was a culmination of happenings before his presidency.

SOURCE: Herbert Hoover Presidential Library
That is true. Hoover's error was in letting it continue and doing nothing to solve the crisis. He thought the market would work itself out over time. I suppose it would have, but the country would have been destroyed by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections