Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,050,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Where do you get that?! You want ambiguous language -- health of the mother can encompass depression.
Alright, I take back what I said. Abortions are not done after the second trimester unless the fetus or mother is dying. However, the majority of abortions are done when you cannot even tell the fetus from the other tissue that comes out with abortion. Basically, the first trimester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 12:49 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,646,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Even though there about 100 treads devoted to this topic, full of information from both sides, I expect to see many more repetitive threads on abortion and Muslims in the coming weeks.

This is because McCain is going down so the Repubs. will try diligently to flame up old arguments and prejudices.

In one word:desperation.
Actually I think abortion and terrorism (that is what you meant by muslims, right? Very unPC of you ) are extremely relevent topics of debate, especially in an election year. It doesn't prove desperation at all. Now, hypothesizing that palin was her sons grandmother --- THAT smacked of desperation.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am sitting here just shaking my head. When I was a small child, I was warned by a Christian mother that the United States would get this sinful someday. She was only talking about people taking their swimsuits off and going naked on the beach. Someday is here! When someone thinks that mothers have a right to murder their own child it makes you wonder how the United States calls itself a civilized nation. Are the Obama peolple so far gone that they really do not realize that this is wrong.

I guess the real question is: "Are there enough Christians left in America to keep this deranged person out of the White House?"
Abortion is not murder. If abortion can be murder, then a miscarriage can be considered manslaughter.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:51 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,377,529 times
Quote:
I am sitting here just shaking my head. When I was a small child, I was warned by a Christian mother that the United States would get this sinful someday. She was only talking about people taking their swimsuits off and going naked on the beach. Someday is here!
Where? I need to see this beach of which you speak in person before I make a judgment about it one way or the other.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:52 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,377,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Even though there about 100 treads devoted to this topic, full of information from both sides, I expect to see many more repetitive threads on abortion and Muslims in the coming weeks.

This is because McCain is going down so the Repubs. will try diligently to flame up old arguments and prejudices.

In one word:desperation.
Big time.

They can't run on the issues, so all they have is the same old three or four things that the rest of the country has already looked at and moved on from.

"Because if you don't have any fresh ideas, then you use stale tactics to scare the voters. If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from. You make a big election about small things."

Old 09-19-2008, 12:53 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,646,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Alright, I take back what I said. Abortions are not done after the second trimester unless the fetus or mother is dying. However, the majority of abortions are done when you cannot even tell the fetus from the other tissue that comes out with abortion. Basically, the first trimester.
Right...and first trimester abortions is not what has people all in a tizzy. It is abortions performed when either a baby can live on its own, or in the case of an extreme premie, where it can breathe on its own for a few hours prior to death. If one of those babies (breathing on its own it ceases to be a fetus) is alive even if it is dying, does it not deserve the basic human dignity of a painless death? Or at least a comforted one? And if the potential for life is there, shouldn't the drs be bound to treat the infant? Yes, the mother aborted it, but once breathing has it not achieved 'personhood'? That is what people are talking about here....and I'm sure you can see why the thought of leaving such a baby to slowly die in a medical wsste container is horrifying, even to pro choicers. That is not a radical stand, that is a humanitarian one.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Right...and first trimester abortions is not what has people all in a tizzy. It is abortions performed when either a baby can live on its own, or in the case of an extreme premie, where it can breathe on its own for a few hours prior to death. If one of those babies (breathing on its own it ceases to be a fetus) is alive even if it is dying, does it not deserve the basic human dignity of a painless death? Or at least a comforted one? And if the potential for life is there, shouldn't the drs be bound to treat the infant? Yes, the mother aborted it, but once breathing has it not achieved 'personhood'? That is what people are talking about here....and I'm sure you can see why the thought of leaving such a baby to slowly die in a medical wsste container is horrifying, even to pro choicers. That is not a radical stand, that is a humanitarian one.

Would I ever do it? No. I'm personally against aborting that late in the pregnancy, for the reasons you stated. However, I would not stop another from doing so. Until we create artificial wombs, I really cannot think of any reason why a woman should be forced to keep a fetus within her, no matter how late in the pregnancy.

And I'm sure if they do an abortion that lat,e they're not just going to toss the fetus in the trash can. At the very least, they'll euthanize it.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:50 PM

532 posts, read 859,584 times
Thumbs down I am in agreement

Quote:
I am sitting here just shaking my head. When I was a small child, I was warned by a Christian mother that the United States would get this sinful someday. She was only talking about people taking their swimsuits off and going naked on the beach. Someday is here! When someone thinks that mothers have a right to murder their own child it makes you wonder how the United States calls itself a civilized nation. Are the Obama peolple so far gone that they really do not realize this is wrong.

I guess the real question is: "Are there enough Christians left in America to keep this deranged person out of the White House?"

As far as Roe vs. Wade, it is a case of the court system refusing to accept all the evidence and the misinterpretation of the law. The courts job is not to legislate, it is supposed to judge. This court overstepped its authority and the decision should be overturned. There is no hope of this happening if Obama is elected. He has many times mentioned that he does not want Roe vs. Wade overturned.

If babies keep being murdered at the rate they are now, it is my opinion that our nation will face the consequences of those innocent lives crying out from the grave. No on second thought, I think they were just thrown in the trash. Shame! Shame!
You are not alone in the way you think. Many are out here who believe as you do. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can say to change the minds of those who don't respect life. They will go on, selfishly with their lives, which, might not have been, had their Mother's opted to dispose of them. They feel that they deserve to live, but maybe some others don't. The Christian belief that we don't "own our bodies", to do with as we please, does not occur to them. I too, feel very sorry that we live in a Godless society these days--or so it seems.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:03 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,556,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberta View Post
You are not alone in the way you think. Many are out here who believe as you do. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can say to change the minds of those who don't respect life. They will go on, selfishly with their lives, which, might not have been, had their Mother's opted to dispose of them. They feel that they deserve to live, but maybe some others don't. The Christian belief that we don't "own our bodies", to do with as we please, does not occur to them. I too, feel very sorry that we live in a Godless society these days--or so it seems.

I am not Christian...so stop imposing your morals on me.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:07 PM

645 posts, read 910,173 times
Default Same old. Same old.

Quote:
Unfortunately, there is nothing we can say to change the minds of those who don't respect life.
What you can do for those that are PRO-CHOICE, is move on to another soapbox. How dare you say someone doesn't respect life because they are PRO-CHOICE. What about war sweetheart. Do the soldiers not RESPECT life when they shoot an Iraq woman and child?
Quote:
They will go on, selfishly with their lives, which, might not have been, had their Mother's opted to dispose of them. They feel that they deserve to live, but maybe some others don't. The Christian belief that we don't "own our bodies", to do with as we please, does not occur to them. I too, feel very sorry that we live in a Godless society these days--or so it seems.
Why bring YOUR GOD into this? Is your GOD better than mine? Move on. Next you're going to tell me that the Earth is 6,000 years old...
Abortion should be a non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections