Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 07:33 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times

Advertisements

washingtonpost.com

Quote:
But a series of new Obama attacks requires a rebalancing of the scales: Obama has descended to similarly scurrilous tactics on the stump and on the air. On immigration, Obama is running a Spanish-language ad that unfairly lumps McCain together with Rush Limbaugh -- and quotes Limbaugh out of context. On health care, Obama misleadingly accuses McCain of wanting to impose a $3.6 trillion tax hike on employer-provided insurance.

Obama has been furthest out of line, however, on Social Security, stooping to the kind of scare tactics he once derided.

"If my opponent had his way, the millions of Floridians who rely on it would have had their Social Security tied up in the stock market this week," Obama said Saturday as he campaigned in that retiree-heavy state. "Millions of families would've been scrambling to figure out how to give their mothers and fathers, their grandmothers and grandfathers, the secure retirement that every American deserves."

This is simply false -- even leaving aside the incendiary language about "privatizing" Social Security. As the invaluable FactCheck.org noted, the private account plan suggested by President Bush and backed by McCain would not have applied to anyone born before 1950. It would not have changed benefits by a single penny for current retirees like the nice Florida folks that Obama was trying to rile up. The sensible notion was that workers at or near retirement age should be able to rely on promised benefits and should not be subject to the vicissitudes of short-term market fluctuations.
FactCheck.org: Obama's Social Security Whopper
Political Punch

LOL. So much for the "new" politics of Obama. Did we really believe that in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,917 times
Obama still has a lot of catching up to do to lie as much as McCain has.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:38 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,281,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
washingtonpost.com

FactCheck.org: Obama's Social Security Whopper
Political Punch

LOL. So much for the "new" politics of Obama. Did we really believe that in the first place?
the limbaugh ad I don't like and we need to steer clear of. The social security ad however, is mostly correct. If it were 40 years from now, and McCain's social security plan had been in effect then there would have been nothing wrong with that statement. Only difference is that people currently recieving social security would continue to recieve it from the Feds. rather than using a private account. So you;d be passing on this nightmare to your children. What a nice thought.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:45 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
I agree, he should never exaggerate or lie. That's disappointing to see.

But, I appreciate you pointing out that of the two candidates, he's the one we all expect to tell the truth.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:01 AM

1,881 posts, read 2,685,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Obama still has a lot of catching up to do to lie as much as McCain has.

You must be missing something. Obama has been caught lying to his own kids let alone lying his way out of every mistake he has made.

Obama wins the "ultimate liar" theme in this election.

Ayers is just a neighbor. Right!

I was never in attendance during those sermons, ever. Right!

I never took any money from Fannie or Freddie. Right! ( 95k is no money Jimmy?)

The Senate Finanace bill I sponsored passed. Right! It did not pass and you were not even a part of that bill Jimmy.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,281,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
You must be missing something. Obama has been caught lying to his own kids let alone lying his way out of every mistake he has made.

Obama wins the "ultimate liar" theme in this election.

Ayers is just a neighbor. Right! Very possible. I have no idea what my neighbors do, or even where they work. We say hi occastionally, and see each other in the neighborhood, but i don't know them all that well.

I was never in attendance during those sermons, ever. Right! I've gone to my church for 18 years, but I have no idea who my pastor is on a personal level. they could very well be racist.

I never took any money from Fannie or Freddie. Right! ( 95k is no money Jimmy?) Keating Five ring a bell?

The Senate Finanace bill I sponsored passed. Right! It did not pass and you were not even a part of that bill Jimmy.
beyond the fact that Obama rarely lies, although he does on occassion unfortunately. McCain takes the cake.

McCain:

Economy is fundamentally strong, right

Obama wanted to teach five year olds birth control. sure he did.

Obama didn't visit an army hospital becuase press wasn't allowed, rather than the fact that the pentagon told him not to, and press wasn't coming in the first place.

Obama will raise taxes. Right. The average american will save more money with Obama than McCain, and McCain will raise the national deficit higher than Obama.

Palin never asked for earmarks. right.... Bridge to nowhere ring a bell?

McCain takes the cake, no doubt.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times
Here's some Social Security Truth and Reality (http://oversight.house.gov/story.asp?ID=847 - broken link).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections