Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times

Advertisements

As an ardent Obama/Biden supporter, I must admit that Palin did better than I expected. She spoke in generalities and failed to answer questions multiple times during the debate, but she was articulate and knew her talking points well.

However, one thing that has stuck with me was when Biden choked up when speaking briefly about the death of his wife and daughter and how he sympathized with struggling families. After he finished, Palin took right back up with America wanting change. She showed absolutely no sympathy, empathy, or whatever towards what Biden had just said. As the ultimate "mother" I found her non-reaction a bit odd.

Political affiliations aside, did you find her non-reaction odd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 09:56 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
As an ardent Obama/Biden supporter, I must admit that Palin did better than I expected. She spoke in generalities and failed to answer questions multiple times during the debate, but she was articulate and knew her talking points well.

However, one thing that has stuck with me was when Biden choked up when speaking briefly about the death of his wife and daughter and how he sympathized with struggling families. After he finished, Palin took right back up with America wanting change. She showed absolutely no sympathy, empathy, or whatever towards what Biden had just said. As the ultimate "mother" I found her non-reaction a bit odd.

Political affiliations aside, did you find her non-reaction odd?
I noticed the same thing. Her lack of empathy....not even a flicker of emotion on her face, not even a hesitation about jumping right back to the maverick talk.....I don't know...it just struck me as so cold. I really think it showed the real Sara though. I think she is just blind ambitious and has little feeling or empathy for anyone that can't help her climb to the top.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,043,406 times
Not really. I think that she was so preprogrammed that she couldn't think for herself and handle an ad hoc situation. Biden could have burst into flames and she would have started talking about mavericks and how continuing Bush policies is really change.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
What would you guys be saying if Palin had choked up?

Try and show some honesty when answering.

We all know what you would be saying.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 PM

690 posts, read 1,015,561 times
I caught that too. Maybe she really did not notice?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,209 times
I would have respected her more had she shown an iota of compassion, but she did not.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:01 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,075,966 times
I didn't readily notice it on TV that Biden choked up - it happened too fast. I only knew when I read it online. Something happened there but I wasn't sure because I always saw and remembered an angry Biden on TV and would never guess that it was him choking up. If Palin would have read about Biden's background and knew it beforehand, she could have said something.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:02 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

I guarentee that if she had done so then Biden would have shown warm concern. That is the difference.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:02 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Why are you giving a "what if" situation? It didn't happen, so it's irrelevant. I'm asking your thoughts on whether or not her non-reaction was odd. Can you not answer that impartially?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:07 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
I think she wasn't completely paying attention to what Biden was saying and was so focused on what she had to say and try to remember everything she had to say. I think for women in these types of positions, it's like damned if you do damned if you dont. Women can't be too emotional and have to strong, but then when they aren't emotional they are ragged on.

(btw I'm not a Palin supporter, just giving my honest answer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections