Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 12:17 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,788,554 times

Advertisements

I'm not even a Republican or Democrat, (unfortunately, there are only two parties running that will garner votes) but this OP's post is so upside down that I know I will watch America burn to the ground. McCain will get in.

Quote:
Tom Lennox: I dont' think I'm the only one sick and tired of the elitism and snobbery from the liberal elite. I think we've all heard of those latte sipping yuppies cracking jokes about incest in West Virginia or snubbing their noses at "hicks" in Texas and the Midwest. Stuff like this is a major reason why I am against Obama and his party. The great thing about democracy is that while those elitist snobs may think people like me are beneath them, come November we still have an equal power in controlling who wins and who leads this country.
These kinds of posts are exactly why America is taking a crash dive. I, originally, when I started to read it, thought the OP's post was about relief for Democrats having a chance to end up in Washington. Instead it was the opposite. What he said is in support of Democrats, not Republicans. It's the Republicans who are known for being elitist, money-grubbing, and greedy, etc. Who can blame them? They support their own friends (the rich).

Quote:
jy2007: was correct in stating that "Republicans are the party of big business. Everyone knows this. If you can't see that, then you have fallen for their PR machine tactics.

Let me ask you this, if you're not happy with the way things are going; you feel 'ordinary folks' (what does that mean, btw?) are getting the short end of the stick; you see farms and auto plants closing down;

Why the hell would you vote for the party that has allowed this to happen over the last 8 years?????"
Quote:
GenMomto5: Originally Posted by sanrene
The point is that her family has lived the American dream. They didn't start out that way.
I'll give you that. But so has Biden. He is a regular guy, even in the face of great personal tragedy, who has dedicated himself to this country. I appreciate that.
I'm surprised some people thought he was a wimp when he spoke about his own personal tragedy of the death of his child and wife, and chose to ignore obvious facts. Well, it only shows, again, the lack of logic and reasoning, and education in this country.

Quote:
MiamiMan: Please. Palin makes $250,000/yr. with assets of over a million, McCain has tens of millions dollars, has 13 cars, and 7 homes. Obama and his wife just finished paying off student loans. They have one car and one house. Joe Biden and his wife have one house and Biden rides Amtrak back and forth to Washington when need be.

I think you need to rid yourself of these generalizations that Democrats "look down" on people for rural, working class roots. Tell me how they look down on that segment of the population? Just name one example? Republicans believe that rural, poor people are fools. It's truly a shame that you cannot see that.

A part of me wants McCain/Palin to win so all working-class people can see how much their current situation changes for the better. Sometimes some people need a good slap in the face before they see the light.
I have to agree with MiamiMan. I realize the statement "their current situation changes for the better" was sarcasm. In a perverse way, I, too, want them to win and watch the middle-class dissolve. I am older, and I won't be around that long – it will be those middle-class people in their prime who will lose. And a well-deserved loss it will be for listening to sound bites, not being literate, and believing lies. I think that C-D is representative of a lot of the country, so being, it is not surprising there is so much mis-information here.

I am stunned and amazed at the illiteracy and inability to analyze in this country. Fortunately, I am not a spendthrift, don't have stocks, and have a small pension. I live within my means, pay all my bills on-time, don't use credit cards, and I am a typical lower-middle-class person. I am what the Republicans are not representing.

My father was a steel worker. My aunt and uncle lived in West Virginia (well-educated and not hicks) – I remember as a kid driving with my grandparents who were full-time farmers, past the salt mines near Wheeling, West Virginia, watching them in awe. I worked my way through college, while working full-time. I raised my daughter on my own. I know what it is to struggle – and, I also know how to empathize. I am the middle class. McCain is the upper class. And he is a dishonest upper-class person. He's got you guys wrapped into his lies hook, line and sinker, and he uses Palin to reel you in – he's done a good job of it. And why? Because it is well-known that most Americans are not well-educated, able to use logic, even have the most basic literacy skills (kids are in college taking remedial classes in English and Math because they can't even do the basics!! In college!). He has taken advantage of people's lack and people's desire to have more, and ran with it.

It's truly amazing that McCain/Palin have tried to make Obama and Biden look like they are rich fools. People either are not checking facts (most likely, as most people don't read much, and aren't speed readers to get through tons of information – I wish they taught speed reading in schools – it is very useful!). There is such a lack of comprehension and I really am shocked that the OP seems to be in support of people like myself who are middle class (lower middle class in my case), who came from a blue collar, working class background, worked their nose to the grindstone all their lives, and now see America burning.

Thank goodness I don't have my money tied up in all those funds that are going down. And thank goodness I live within my means – I don't need credit. I run my cars into the ground, don't charge things, live within my meager paycheck, use coupons, and all of that working-class stuff. Yes, I, too, like Biden/Obama have a higher education, and I worked for it! Maybe the difference is in learning to analyze, find facts, and use logic. Because most of these posts about McCain are not logical – he is feeding a bunch of bull to people because….and this is the worst part…he knows people will buy it.

It is a shame that those who will be voting McCain do not know the difference between these people. Advertising works. That's a given. And it's worked here. Most people, I realize, just don't bother to find tons of information. And we've been drawn into a fantasy of "trusting" our "dear leaders."

Here's the irony, though: most of America is not the wealthy --- yet, a huge majority of Americans will vote for the aristocracy. They will not vote for the real "Average Joe" who by virtue of being raised in a working-class family worked their way out of it, and made it better for their kids. The Bidens and Obamas have not forgotten their roots, because they knew the difficulty it took to work their way out of it – that is why they want to help. The aristocracy doesn't have to think about that – they did not feel that pain! They just need to use effective advertising, well-knowing that sound bites and a few well-placed words will be enough to falsely convince people. They already know how people think and use it to their advantage – they've had the advantages that the Average Joe does not have. That is the sad irony.

I did want to retire, but I know I will have to continue working. Fortunately, I don't have car payments, or credit card debt or anything like that. I don't eat out, don't buy lattes, cook all my meals at home, take my lunch to work, and I am the average middle-class American. I have no silver spoon.

I am sorry to see America failing, although I am proud that I have passed on my hard-working ethics and values to my child, who I hope will overcome her background and succeed – and I know she will not forget from where she came, either!

Quote:
As MiamiMan said: A part of me wants McCain/Palin to win so all working-class people can see how much their current situation changes for the better. Sometimes some people need a good slap in the face before they see the light.
I have a feeling, Miamiman, that you are right. I wish I didn’t agree with you, but I do. The very people who need the help, still won't get it – but will they even realize why? I don't think so. I'm so sorry people want to fight about myths rather than facts. It is very discouraging. Well, it will be interesting to watch. The McPain ticket will win, but the middle-class will lose. (And I'm one of them….)

Quote:
WillysB has the right idea: OTOH, I'm done with these fools in Congress. Vote Libertarian.
We do need a third party!

I just wonder how the majority of people who are not in the top 5% of wealth will rationalize our continued down-turn of the U.S. when McCain is in? As one who does not belong in that category, but am extremely literate, it will be interesting to see what people say. (I've been told to "dumb down" my posts....so, I probably won't participate...no point anymore.)

Truly amazing to watch Republicans do a mock role reversal – I hope more clear-seeing people will emerge to realize that the Emperor really has no clothes…..

Last edited by Wisteria; 10-03-2008 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 12:25 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,481,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Yes, and sockeye fishing skill is something I definitely consider when voting for a presidential ticket.
If instead of fishing for salmon and welding in -50 degree temperatures, Todd and Sarah had collected welfare, then they would be a couple that you people could really relate to, right? Just regular folks!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:40 PM

10,239 posts, read 15,952,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
Ah, score one more for Karl Rove...

Hate to tell you, but the closing of farms, auto plants, and businesses is because of deregulation and globalization policies that are the signature of the republican party. Saying that stock brokers and investment bankers are part of the 'liberal elite' is like saying Ehud Olmert is an advocate for the PLO.
You are just simply wrong. wrong, wrong, wrong.

Republicans are the party of big business. Everyone knows this. If you can't see that, then you have fallen for their PR machine tactics.

Let me ask you this, if you're not happy with the way things are going; you feel 'ordinary folks' (what does that mean, btw?) are getting the short end of the stick; you see farms and auto plants closing down;

Why the hell would you vote for the party that has allowed this to happen over the last 8 years?????
If Democrats are not the elite party, let me please ask you this. Why do the most expensive, wealthiest areas like Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and San Francisco vote liberal? I personally many yuppie types or recent college grads living in major cities with professional careers who are liberla and Obama supporting. Some of them really do look down on middle America and use terms like hicks, hillbillies, white trash, etc. They think its embarassing to have a regional accent (unless its a snotty one from New YOrk or Boston). I've met one girl from a rich stuck up suburb of Baltimore who is proud she doesn't have that Baltimore accent because she says thats an accent for "white trash" from the area.

Here in Maryland, Democrats push urban development over the suburbs and rural areas. I think for example Baltimore is losing its soul. It had a lot of soul in its blue collar roots. Now one Democratic mayor and govenror after another, they are ignoring the industrial background and pushing finance, high tech in the city. Drive through Baltimore on 95 and you see all the shipyards and warehouses and steel mills. Our government here has no interest in rebuilding these industries....their solution is pushing more high tech (drawing more snotty yuppies here from otu of state while doing nothing for working class people whether white or black). They fill the city condos and lofts and want more and more exclusive restaurants and clubs. The workign class is very left behind in this Democrat dominated state.

We had one past GOP governor who pushed slots and the Democrats resisted him but now themselves now are psuhing for slots. Why did we waste 4 years and all that money debating this? The Democrats just wanted to give the GOP a hard time and get back their stranglehold on our state which they built by misleading Baltimore's inner city blacks and through the votes of illegal immigrants and newcomers from New Jersey, Pennsyvlania and New YOrk.

Why is that people in those hardworking, blue collar, average towns in the heartland and the South vote Republican????? I can understand why the urban poor vote Dem because that's the party of increased welfare and food stamsp. The hardworking working class person from middle America pays taxes to subsidize urban ghettos while they get nothing in return. in the small towns there is little dependence on government handouts and biggger focus on hard work and self-respect and self-sufficiency.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:42 PM

10,239 posts, read 15,952,650 times
Farms and ranches will fare worse under Democrats who are about internationalism and under pressure from advocacy groups to stop farm subsidies so farmers in Latin America and Asia can have "fair competition". The Republicans want to keep farm subsidies that keep American family farms alive.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:45 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,930,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I'm not even a Republican or Democrat, (unfortunately, there are only two parties running that will garner votes) but this OP's post is so upside down that I know I will watch America burn to the ground. McCain will get in.

These kinds of posts are exactly why America is taking a crash dive. I originally, when I started to read it, thought the OP's post was about relief for Democrats having a chance to end up in Washington. Instead it was the opposite. What he said is in support of Democrats, not Republicans. It's the Republicans who are known for being elitist, money-grubbing, and greedy, etc. Who can blame them? They support their own friends (the rich).

look at the bailout statistics for god's sake! they are both involved! both obama and mccain voted for the bailout!!!

I'm surprised some people thought he was a wimp when he spoke about his own personal tragedy of the death of his child and wife, and chose to ignore obvious facts. Well, it only shows, again, the lack of logic and reasoning, and education in this country.

I have to agree with MiamiMan. I realize the statement "their current situation changes for the better" was sarcasm. In a perverse way, I, too, want them to win and watch the middle-class dissolve. I am older, and I won't be around that long – it will be those middle-class people in their prime who will lose. And a well-deserved loss it will be for listening to sound bites, not being literate, and believing lies. I think that C-D is representative of a lot of the country, so being, it is not surprising there is so much mis-information here.

I am stunned and amazed at the illiteracy and inability to analyze in this country. Fortunately, I am not a spendthrift, don't have stocks, and have a small pension. I live within my means, pay all my bills on-time, don't use credit cards, and I am a typical lower-middle-class person. I am what the Republicans are not representing.

My father was a steel worker. My aunt and uncle lived in West Virginia (well-educated and not hicks) – I remember as a kid driving with my grandparents who were full-time farmers, past the salt mines near Wheeling, West Virginia, watching them in awe. I worked my way through college, while working full-time. I raised my daughter on my own. I know what it is to struggle – and, I also know how to empathize. I am the middle class. McCain is the upper class. And he is a dishonest upper-class person. He's got you guys wrapped into his lies hook, line and sinker, and he uses Palin to reel you in – he's done a good job of it. And why? Because it is well-known that most Americans are not well-educated, able to use logic, even have the most basic literacy skills (kids are in college taking remedial classes in English and Math because they can't even do the basics!! In college!). He has taken advantage of people's lack and people's desire to have more, and ran with it.

It's truly amazing that McCain/Palin have tried to make Obama and Biden look like they are rich fools. People either are not checking facts (most likely, as most people don't read much, and aren't speed readers to get through tons of information – I wish they taught speed reading in schools – it is very useful!). There is such a lack of comprehension and I really am shocked that the OP seems to be in support of people like myself who are middle class (lower middle class in my case), who came from a blue collar, working class background, worked their nose to the grindstone all their lives, and now see America burning.

Thank goodness I don't have my money tied up in all those funds that are going down. And thank goodness I live within my means – I don't need credit. I run my cars into the ground, don't charge things, live within my meager paycheck, use coupons, and all of that working-class stuff. Yes, I, too, like Biden/Obama have a higher education, and I worked for it! Maybe the difference is in learning to analyze, find facts, and use logic. Because most of these posts about McCain are not logical – he is feeding a bunch of bull to people because….and this is the worst part…he knows people will buy it.

It is a shame that those who will be voting McCain do not know the difference between these people. Advertising works. That's a given. And it's worked here. Most people, I realize, just don't bother to find tons of information. And we've been drawn into a fantasy of "trusting" our "dear leaders."

Here's the irony, though: most of America is not the wealthy --- yet, a huge majority of Americans will vote for the aristocracy. They will not vote for the real "Average Joe" who by virtue of being raised in a working-class family worked their way out of it, and made it better for their kids. The Bidens and Obamas have not forgotten their roots, because they knew the difficulty it took to work their way out of it – that is why they want to help. The aristocracy doesn't have to think about that – they did not feel that pain! They just need to use effective advertising, well-knowing that sound bites and a few well-placed words will be enough to falsely convince people. They already know how people think and use it to their advantage – they've had the advantages that the Average Joe does not have. That is the sad irony.

I did want to retire, but I know I will have to continue working. Fortunately, I don't have car payments, or credit card debt or anything like that. I don't eat out, don't buy lattes, cook all my meals at home, take my lunch to work, and I am the average middle-class American. I have no silver spoon.

I am sorry to see America failing, although I am proud that I have passed on my hard-working ethics and values to my child, who I hope will overcome her background and succeed – and I know she will not forget from where she came, either!

I have a feeling, Miamiman, that you are right. I wish I didn’t agree with you, but I do. The very people who need the help, still won't get it – but will they even realize why? I don't think so. I'm so sorry people want to fight about myths rather than facts. It is very discouraging. Well, it will be interesting to watch. The McPain ticket will win, but the middle-class will lose. (And I'm one of them….)

We do need a third party!

I just wonder how the majority of people who are not in the top 5% of wealth will rationalize our continued down-turn of the U.S. when McCain is in? As one who does not belong in that category, but am extremely literate, it will be interesting to see what people say. (I've been told to "dumb down" my posts....so, I probably won't participate...no point anymore.)

Truly amazing to watch Republicans do a mock role reversal – I hope more clear-seeing people will emerge to realize that the Emperor really has no clothes…..

look at the statistics for god's sake! both mccain and obama voted for the bailout! In the end, 172 Democrats and 91 Republicans voted for the legislation. both parties suck and have sold the taxpayer down the river while dumbasses play my team is better. almost every american would vote for a 3rd party if there was one right now.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:49 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,987,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Farms and ranches will fare worse under Democrats who are about internationalism and under pressure from advocacy groups to stop farm subsidies so farmers in Latin America and Asia can have "fair competition". The Republicans want to keep farm subsidies that keep American family farms alive.
You can't possibly be real. Regardless-respond to my other post, this is fun nonetheless.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:53 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,964,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I can understand why you might like Palin because she's got five kids, but do you really think that prepares her for the job of vice president -- or even president if McCain (who is 73 already) dies in office? And really, please don't kid yourself that she is common folk. She has assets of over $1.2 million and is much more interested in siding with the lobbyists than any average Joe -- as she clearly demonstrated by supporting the Bridge to Nowhere...
Really assets of 1.2 million dollars? Could you please show the people here a basic list of those assets so they can see how you are manipulating them to think that this is a lot of money when you consider "assets"? Isn't a home considered an asset? And if you account home, investments, retirement, etc... and it is 1.2 million, is that considered amazing? Maybe you could also tell the good people here about how the average citizen is supposed to have over 2 million in retirement before they retire. Seems like she might be a bit behind. Oh, and how much does Obama have in assets?

Oh and you do know that both Biden and Obama not only voted for the initial project of the Bridge to Nowhere, but also voted to continue the funding to it rather than divert it to rebuilding a damaged bridge from Hurrican Katrina?

Yep, Palin supported the bridge when she was running for office, then after she got in, she killed it. For reasons I don't know exactly why, but here is the point.

Bidens record shows he supported it all the way.
Obamas record shows he supported it all the way.
She supported it verbally while running and then she was the one that killed it.

So, are you really interested in the issues or are you merely another bobble head "repeating talking points over and over" as some like to call Palin of doing?

Old 10-03-2008, 12:57 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Palins' net worth tops $1 million - Bennington Banner
McCain wealthier than Obama, Palin, Biden - St. Louis Business Journal:

Palin's net worth is over 1 million
Biden's is $277k. He is the poorest member of the Senate
He's definitely a politician if his net worth is less than he makes in a year.

"The Bidens reported earning $319,853 last year, including $71,000 in royalties for his memoir,
Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics."

Biden gave average of $369 to charity a year - USATODAY.com

Old 10-03-2008, 12:58 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,616,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The point is that her family has lived the American dream. They didn't start out that way.

They absolutely can relate to the middle class, as her story and history have told us.
Uh huh...Dreamworld welcome to real World. Oh, no World view? No Idea what the President's energy policy is? Clueless about your own States energy output to the US. Still think women are killed for minute offenses in foreign Nations? You weren't wondering what the current troop levels are were you? How about your principles housing policy?..

Old 10-03-2008, 01:09 PM

552 posts, read 1,074,204 times
I don't think I'm the only one tired of ignorant hicks bred from incest ruining my country with their stupidity. Who needs them, anyway? My coffee comes from Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections