Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I thought you wanted "answers"?

Your own words:

"Since you people are intent on saddling us with this moron, you had BEST be getting us answers."

But, as usual, when someone attempts to share actual specifics, you find a way to ignore them.
Uh, I asked you questions on Obama's tax plan on another thread. In case you haven't noticed, this thread is about McCain's health plan. So, are you going to derail this thread or are you going to actually provide facts on the relevant thread?

Hiding elsewhere and behaving like a weenie doesn't raise your esteem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 08:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Well, there's no indication that these guys are "liberals", but OK, I'll take your word for it. However, I disagree. There will be no excess. None. You simply can't get an individual policy for $2500/year, or a family policy for $5000/yr. That is barely $200/$400 a month, about half of what group policies provided by the employer cost now. And those group policies are by far the least expensive type. Individual policies virtually always cost more. I just skimmed the article, but I see nothing in there about pre-existing conditions, and I have read other places that McCain will allow insurers to continue to discriminate against those folks. That means my daughter, with her melanome, could be excluded from any care for it forever, and she is now 21. McCain has also had melanoma, but he has never had to find his own insurance; he has been on the govt dole since birth!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:36 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

However, I disagree.

I just skimmed the article
So you admit you skimmed the article, but disagree with one of the most respected economists in the west? Should I post a few more links? Why bother! You have your mind made up.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
So you admit you skimmed the article, but disagree with one of the most respected economists in the west? Should I post a few more links? Why bother! You have your mind made up.
As is yours. And I live out west, and have never heard of these guys, so maybe they aren't the most respected economists in the area. I have also read a lot of other stuff about this issue. Yours isn't the first article I've ever read. I believe it was Newsweek that said that McCain's plan would be the most expensive for the consumer.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:09 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,155,186 times
What amazes me is that the President and politicians are talking about the bleeding incompetent banks and companies which need tons of government-funded financial help to get on the road to recovery. However the same politicians aren't talking much, if at all, about the many millions of ill and bleeding Americans in need of affordable health care and health insurance.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:19 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,635 times
Obama's goal is for a universal healthcare plan.

McCain's goal for healthcare is the following at
JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008 (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/19ba2f1c-c03f-4ac2-8cd5-5cf2edb527cf.htm - broken link)
John McCain is willing to address the fundamental problem: the rapidly rising cost of U.S. health care. Bringing costs under control is the only way to stop the erosion of affordable health insurance, save Medicare and Medicaid, protect private health benefits for retirees, and allow our companies to effectively compete around the world.

John McCain believes we can and must provide access to health care for every American through the following:

Making Health Insurance Innovative, Portable and Affordable
Ensuring Care for Higher Risk Patients
Lowering Health Care Costs
Confronting the Long-Term Challenge
Covering Those With Pre-Existing Conditions
Even Combating Autism in America

What I am most interested about is lowering the healthcare cost while not comprimising the quality of care.

BIGGEST PROBLEM FOR ME: High cost of Prescription:

According to McCain----
CHEAPER DRUGS: Lowering Drug Prices. John McCain will look to bring greater competition to our drug markets through safe re-importation of drugs and faster introduction of generic drugs.

The next big one for me is the following----
CHRONIC DISEASE: Providing Quality, Cheaper Care For Chronic Disease. Chronic conditions account for three-quarters of the nation's annual health care bill. By emphasizing prevention, early intervention, healthy habits, new treatment models, new public health infrastructure and the use of information technology, we can reduce health care costs. We should dedicate more federal research to caring and curing chronic disease.

THESE ARE BIG ISSUES ALSO BELOW.

MEDICAID AND MEDICARE: Reforming The Payment System To Cut Costs. We must reform the payment systems in Medicaid and Medicare to compensate providers for diagnosis, prevention and care coordination. Medicaid and Medicare should not pay for preventable medical errors or mismanagement.

STATE FLEXIBILITY: Encouraging States To Lower Costs. States should have the flexibility to experiment with alternative forms of access, coordinated payments per episode covered under Medicaid, use of private insurance in Medicaid, alternative insurance policies and different licensing schemes for providers.

Generic drugs will surely help lower the cost!!!!
McCain seems to be proactive rather than reactive on his approach.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:02 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
Few have any health care insurance now, on McCain's plan all will have health care that is affordable whether working full time, part time or not working at all it will be free in the private sector of physicians.
Did you read the right plan? McCain is NOT going to make it any easier for anyone to get health care. He is going to tax healthcare for the first time ever. Simple!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
According to McCain----
CHEAPER DRUGS: Lowering Drug Prices. John McCain will look to bring greater competition to our drug markets through safe re-importation of drugs and faster introduction of generic drugs.

The next big one for me is the following----
CHRONIC DISEASE: Providing Quality, Cheaper Care For Chronic Disease. Chronic conditions account for three-quarters of the nation's annual health care bill. By emphasizing prevention, early intervention, healthy habits, new treatment models, new public health infrastructure and the use of information technology, we can reduce health care costs. We should dedicate more federal research to caring and curing chronic disease.
I would be very wary of re-importation and faster introduction of generics. Just look at what's happening in China right now.

Unfortunately, good old genetics rears its ugly head regarding prevention, and "healthy habits". Those commercials about cholesterol are correct. What "new treatment models" and "new public health infrastructure" does John McCain propose? He doesn't say. The idea that use of information technology will drastically reduce costs is a pipe dream.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:34 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,635 times
Even though the employer-provided health insurance is taxed, the family can still incur tax savings.

See
http://www.johnmccain.com/content/default.aspx?guid=9b94f39b-1650-4a3a-89ef-fba8cba4c868 (broken link)

The savings can be placed in the HSA.

The one thing that John McCain should have avoided is the taxing of the employer-provided health insurance which scares people even though it will wash out and the people will receive credit.

But when people hear TAX, they cringe.

What I would have proposed is that if the person does not have health insurance, then the government provides a very cheap health insurance or tax credit to buy insurance. If the employee cannot afford the employer-provided insurance, then they can default to accepting the cheap health insurance from the government or tax credit to buy insurance. In this way, each US citizen is covered.

Last edited by ShoppingCartLaw; 10-12-2008 at 12:46 PM..

Old 10-12-2008, 01:31 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I would be very wary of re-importation and faster introduction of generics. Just look at what's happening in China right now.
Um, most (I'd like to say all, but I don't know if that's fact) of the medications we buy in the West aren't made in China. Since I used to live close to Mexico, I'd hop the border and buy some of my meds there because they were so much cheaper. I wouldn't accept a med. that was made in China but I never encountered one, anyway. They were all manufactured in Ireland by the major pharmaceutical companies.

Also, other countries have generic alternatives MUCH faster than we do. I'll give you one example -- when I was in my waiting period for Medicare, there was NO WAY I could afford my major Lupus drug, Cellcept. My prescription here retails at about $2,000 per month and there is no generic available.

I have a good friend in Canada who checked there for me. My NAMEBRAND prescription cost about $700 for 200 tablets, which would last me almost two months; PLUS, they had a generic version available for about $370 for 200 tablets.

This is one drug and one patient -- a savings of $18,000 ANNUALLY just for me! Can you IMAGINE how much savings we could see as a nation?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections