Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:23 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,075,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The more likely scenario: Company drops company-subsidized health insurance, leaving everyone to the joys of the open market. $5000 tax credit goes to inusrance company to provide crappy insurance shown in my previous post. $200 in HSA, gone in one dr. visit for sports physical, immunizations, eye exam, whatever.
McCain should just do away with the taxing of the health insurance and just give a FLAT tax credit to those with employer-provided healthcare.

TAX CREDIT
single = $250
family = $500

Anything helps from the government.

Because his current plan gives an average of $500 gain on the family anyhow. His plan is a complex web of taxation that ends up giving the family an extra $500. Just make it a flat tax credit.

I e-mailed the McCain/Palin site on this.
I am sure he will consider what the American people wants - no tax on healthcare insurance.

Last edited by ShoppingCartLaw; 10-13-2008 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Note that the benefits are going to be TAXABLE INCOME under McCain's plan. That means that my wife's back surgery several years ago would have increased my taxable income by almost $150,000.00 and the leaving me owing 10's of thousands to the IRS. And we know that owing the IRS is as bad as owing the Mafia, your life becomes a living hell.
It doesn't go by cost of surgery/visits/etc paid by the insurance. It goes by premium paid by the employer which is an average of $9,000 annually per family.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
It doesn't go by cost of surgery/visits/etc paid by the insurance. It goes by premium paid by the employer which is an average of $9,000 annually per family.
So if the average the employer pays is $9000/family, and the employee pays $3000 (your example), how is anyone going to benefit from a $5000 tax credit if the employer drops their coverage due to this mess? You'll have to pay out $7000 of your own, post-tax money for a plan that costs the same! However, it won't BE the same, because group insurance is cheaper. You will have fewer benefits for more money. I don't think that's what anyone calls health care reform.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
I don't see how McCain can address the fundamental problem behind our health care issues when he doesn't understand what the driving problem is. I have found nothing in all I have read on his plan that indicates he understands, much less, has any initiative proposed to attack the real problem. Obama states his plan will EMPHASIZE wellness and nutrition. So he, at least, he understands that the real problem begins with you and I.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I don't see how McCain can address the fundamental problem behind our health care issues when he doesn't understand what the driving problem is. I have found nothing in all I have read on his plan that indicates he understands, much less, has any initiative proposed to attack the real problem. Obama states his plan will EMPHASIZE wellness and nutrition. So he, at least, he understands that the real problem begins with you and I.
You have to read McCain's ENTIRE plan because it is there!!!!!!!

MCCAIN said at.......
JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008 (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/19ba2f1c-c03f-4ac2-8cd5-5cf2edb527cf.htm - broken link)

By emphasizing prevention, early intervention, healthy habits, new treatment models, new public health infrastructure and the use of information technology, we can reduce health care costs.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
So if the average the employer pays is $9000/family, and the employee pays $3000 (your example), how is anyone going to benefit from a $5000 tax credit if the employer drops their coverage due to this mess? You'll have to pay out $7000 of your own, post-tax money for a plan that costs the same! However, it won't BE the same, because group insurance is cheaper. You will have fewer benefits for more money. I don't think that's what anyone calls health care reform.
McCain said at JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008 (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/19ba2f1c-c03f-4ac2-8cd5-5cf2edb527cf.htm - broken link)

John McCain Believes The Key To Health Care Reform Is To Restore Control To The Patients Themselves. We want a system of health care in which everyone can afford and acquire the treatment and preventative care they need. Health care should be available to all and not limited by where you work or how much you make. Families should be in charge of their health care dollars and have more control over care.

John McCain believes we can and must provide access to health care for every American. ....

Americans Are Worried About Health Care Costs. The problems with health care are well known: it is too expensive and 47 million people living in the United States lack health insurance.

McCain said he will lower the costs through the following---- In a nutshell, the healthier the people, the lower the costs of health insurance!!!!!!

A Specific Plan of Action: Lowering Health Care Costs

John McCain Proposes A Number Of Initiatives That Can Lower Health Care Costs. If we act today, we can lower health care costs for families through common-sense initiatives.

CHEAPER DRUGS: Lowering Drug Prices.

CHRONIC DISEASE: By emphasizing prevention, early intervention, healthy habits, new treatment models, new public health infrastructure and the use of information technology, we can reduce health care costs.

COORDINATED CARE: Promoting Coordinated Care.

GREATER ACCESS AND CONVENIENCE: Government should promote greater access through walk-in clinics in retail outlets.

INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY: Greater Use Of Information Technology To Reduce Costs.

MEDICAID AND MEDICARE: Reforming The Payment System To Cut Costs.

SMOKING: Promoting The Availability Of Smoking Cessation Programs.

STATE FLEXIBILITY: Encouraging States To Lower Costs.

TORT REFORM: Passing Medical Liability Reform.

TRANSPARENCY: Bringing Transparency To Health Care Costs.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I have some oceanfront property in Colorado to sell you.

You can tell McCain doesn't know beans about health care when he uses the word "preventative". It is "preventive".

Also "new treatment models". He doesn't say what they are. He doesn't say HOW he will "lower drug prices", or "reform" Medicare and Medicaid. Such "reforms" usually mean lowering reimbursement to a level that doctors won't take the patients.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I have some oceanfront property in Colorado to sell you.

You can tell McCain doesn't know beans about health care when he uses the word "preventative". It is "preventive".
These words are used interchangeably in healthcare.

preventative - definition of preventative by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

"preventative medicine" obama - Google Search

Consumers’ How-to-Guide: Perform a Preventative Health Insurance Check-Up - Articles - Insurance, Securities and Banking

http://www.healthinsurancecolorado.n...lth-insurance/

https://www.preventativehs.com/

Health Department - The Promotion of Preventative Health Care Practices (http://www.co.burlington.nj.us/departments/health/services/mapp/PreventativeHealthcarePractices.htm - broken link)

Old 10-15-2008, 12:00 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
McCain is the one who needs a health care plan........just look how old he is.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:

Also "new treatment models". He doesn't say what they are. He doesn't say HOW he will "lower drug prices", or "reform" Medicare and Medicaid. Such "reforms" usually mean lowering reimbursement to a level that doctors won't take the patients.
His answers are here

JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008 (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/19ba2f1c-c03f-4ac2-8cd5-5cf2edb527cf.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections