Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
This plan is being brought to you by the same people who decided that a pension was a terrible idea. 401Ks were the way to go, the stock market was the way to go. Check with the stock market and see how that went.
The other plan is being brought to you by the people who brought us the finacial crisis that created the need for the GSE bailout that we will all be paying for for years to come. So, What's your point?

YouTube - DEMOCRATS DEFEND FREDDIE FANNIE FROM REGULATION (2004)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 10:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The other plan is being brought to you by the people who brought us the finacial crisis that created the need for the GSE bailout that we will all be paying for for years to come. So, What's your point?

YouTube - DEMOCRATS DEFEND FREDDIE FANNIE FROM REGULATION (2004)
I thought this thread was about McCain's health care plan?

Old 10-12-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You seriously need to read McCain's plan if you believe this. You really have got it all wrong.
For example???

Old 10-12-2008, 10:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Economist? Ask five economists the same question and you'll get six different answers.

Newsweek? Why do you intelligent people rely of the opinions of others?
Probably because we're smart enough to know we weren't born knowing everything. And you took my quote out of context, as it was in response to a link someone posted by some supposedly reknowned economists from Albuquerque.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Sounds like a tax increase to me. I thought McCain was against tax increase?
I want a progessive tax applied to the health insurance tax credit. Why sould a rich person receive a better or equal tax credit as me?

Happy now?

Old 10-12-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
It is awful..think about it...

If your having trouble paying your house payment, putting food on the table for your family etc etc...and someone gives your $5000.00...would you go get yourself some health insurance? or would you suck it up for one more year, go with out and get ahead on some bills? Is this plan really going to insure people or is going to give 5 grand to people in hopes of getting insurance...

Oh and that 5000.00 is taxable too...

Just how much insurance will 5 grand get a family anyway? I know some people pay about 500.00 a month for a family...
The credit under Obama's plan goes to your employer. If he don't want to play, you're screwed! If he uses the tax credit to leverage lower wages, your screwed. The government and your employer control your health insurance.

The credit under the McCain plan goes to you. If you get laid-off, you still have it. If you are looking for a new job, you can take your tax credit with you to the interview and you can leverage an employer contribution if they want to provide employee health insurance. If they don't provide that, take your tax credit elsewhere because they can't separate you from it to use it against you!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
AND...my biggest problem with his plan...

after 10 years, the plan cuts the number of uninsured by only 1 million, out of 45.7 million now. Barack Obama's $1.6 trillion plan would take 34 million off the rolls of the uninsured.
Reality check, 1.6 trillion? The nation is broke. Where does the money for this or anything else come from?

Old 10-12-2008, 11:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
The credit under Obama's plan goes to your employer. If he don't want to play, you're screwed! If he uses the tax credit to leverage lower wages, your screwed. The government and your employer control your health insurance.

The credit under the McCain plan goes to you. If you get laid-off, you still have it. If you are looking for a new job, you can take your tax credit with you to the interview and you can leverage an employer contribution if they want to provide employee health insurance. If they don't provide that, take your tax credit elsewhere because they can't separate you from it to use it against you!
I could be wrong about this, but I thought the credit in McCain's plan went straight to the insurance company. And this fairy-tale that the left-over money will go into an HSA? There will be no left over money! $5000 isn't enough to buy a family plan. You will have to kick in some more of your post-tax dollars to actually pay for the insurance. Forget the HSA.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008 (http://www.johnmccain.com/content/default.aspx?guid=9b94f39b-1650-4a3a-89ef-fba8cba4c868 - broken link)

Here you go. A link to John McCain's own site. Read carefully. And recognize that NO WHERE in his plan does he cite the COST of health insurance to the purchaser.
The cost of insurance will vary for a number of reasons. When I worked at one job (union by the way) I recieved a negotiated guaranted benefit of $300/mo for my health insurance, disability insurance, etc. How I chose to spend my benefit was up to me. At the time, most of my premium was covered. If the cost of the plan increased, I had to reevaluate my choices. The cost of that plan is quite a bit more today. But the tax credit McCain is offering woud keep me in the game. If the employer decided to no longer provide the benefit, I could take my tax credit and seek greener pastures.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,635 times
Quote:
JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008 (http://www.johnmccain.com/content/default.aspx?guid=9b94f39b-1650-4a3a-89ef-fba8cba4c868 - broken link)

Here you go. A link to John McCain's own site. Read carefully. And recognize that NO WHERE in his plan does he cite the COST of health insurance to the purchaser.
The cost of PRIVATE insurance varies.

Health Insurance Premiums Vary Widely For Single Adults, Survey Says, USA

EXCERPT

Monthly private health insurance premiums for healthy young people "vary by hundreds of dollars" in US cities......

EHealthInsurance.com ----- examined premium quotes for 30-year-old nonsmoking men and women without pre-existing medical conditions in the 50 most populous U.S. cities. All types of health insurance policies were examined, including HMOs and PPOs. Policies had a maximum $1,000 deductible and 20% coinsurance. Long Beach, Calif., residents paid the lowest premiums, with the least-expensive monthly premium at $54. New York City was the most expensive city, with premiums of $334 for similar coverage. Long Beach, Calif., was the least-expensive city for women, with $54 monthly premiums, while policies offered to men in Columbus, Ohio, were as low as $52. Cost disparities for men and women were found in states where there is no requirement for equal rates for both sexes. In New Orleans, women paid 35% more than men. Bob Hurley, vice president of eHealthInsurance.com, said overall price disparities were a result of factors including state insurance mandates and local competition (Lobb, Wall Street Journal, 7/5).

Under McCain's plan, a single person will get tax credit of $1200 towards the health care plan. So plan on spending not more than $1200 a year on premiums for private health care insurance.

If you do spend more than $1200 a year in premiums for better health care coverage, then you have to be willing to pay out of pocket for the difference.

Under McCain's plan, every SINGLE working USA citizen is guaranteed health care coverage because of the tax credit. All the person has to do is to shop for the best healthcare plan that fits the budget.

Last edited by ShoppingCartLaw; 10-13-2008 at 01:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections