Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:31 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times

Advertisements

Yooperkat:

Apparently the rich are better at stealing from the poor and middle class..than visa versa..or they wouldnt be so rich and the rest of us wouldnt be so poor. How many billion are we spending to bail out the financial institutions that devestated themselves and our economy in their un-regulated greed? The rich and their corporations have been living on corporate welfare, subsidies and federal contracts and tax breaks eg. stealing from the rest of us....redistributing our wealth upward.

Not this time......it is time for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 09:32 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
Please be honest with yourself! I've always been proud to be an American, but there have been times when I've not been so proud of how our government has acted. I'm sure most people have felt this also.
Yes, when I was about 18 I wasn't.

But then again I was 18 and not the wife running for POTUS and announcing it to the world.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:32 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,811 times
Pro American Parts of the country? Like Alaska? ooops!
Scary, ain't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Ok Sarah which of us live in areas that are not pro American and what makes us so?
Palin Explains What Parts Of Country Not "Pro-America"
The McCain campaign is seeking to clarify a remark reported from a Sarah Palin fundraiser in North Carolina yesterday in which the Alaska Governor declared that she loved to visit the "pro-America" areas of the country -- implying, implicitly, that there were some parts of the United States she viewed as not pro-America.

Readers what does this say to you about America under President Palin after McCain steps down for health reasons?

Old 10-18-2008, 09:51 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
There are times when my heart swells with pride for America and there are times when I am not at all proud.....when I hear of war atrocities, when the Attorney Gen. advises the President how he can use torture and get away with it; when corporate greed depletes the life savings of retirees and then after getting bailed out the ones responsible, throw themselves a weekend costing those same taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars...for hotels and spa treatments.....I am not proud. When I see the mentally ill sleeping on the street and our veterans sleeping underbridges or being warehoused in mold infested wards..tormented by the nightmares of this needless war..when I see the promise of children being wasted in rat infested dilapidated schools and their hope and vision stamped out.....when I see mothers and fathers having to teach their kids how to handle the hateful names they will be called or their teen agers how to avoid being arrested and beaten by the policemen because of the color of their skin.....I am not proud.

When I hear Senator Obama re state the American dream and tell us what is possible, when I see Joe Biden stand up and say "I am sick of the division sick of the lies, sick sick sick of it!" I am proud.....when I see the acts of kindness that Americans do for others I am proud, when I read the stirring words of our founders and the promise of America I am proud.

It is very possible to be both proud and indignant and angry today in America.....I think if your not....there is something wrong with you. America needs to be all she can be.....and Yes We Can. There is much to be proud of and much to be dissatisfied and indignant about.....that shows a real understanding of what we have accomplished and how much there remains for us to do.

Last edited by elston; 10-18-2008 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-18-2008, 10:00 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,252,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
There are times when my heart swells with pride for America and there are times when I am not at all proud.....when I hear of war atrocities, when the Attorney Gen. advises the President how he can use torture and get away with it; when corporate greed depletes the life savings of retirees and then after getting bailed out they throw themselves a weekend costing those same taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars...for hotels and spa treatments.....I am not proud. When I see the mentally ill sleeping on the street and our veterans sleeping underbridges or being warehoused in mold infested wards..tormented by the nightmares of this needless war..when I see the promise of children being wasted in rat infested dilapidated schools and their hope and vision stamped out.....when I see mothers and fathers having to teach their kids how to handle the hateful names they will be called or their teen agers how to avoid being arrested and beaten by the policemen because of the color of their skin.....I am not proud.

When I hear Senator Obama re state the American dream and tell us what is possible, when I see Joe Biden stand up and say "I am sick of the division sick of the lies, sick sick sick of it!" I am proud.....when I see the acts of kindness that Americans do for others I am proud, when I read the stirring words of our founders and the promise of America I am proud.

It is very possible to be both proud and indignant and angry today in America.....I think if your not....there is something wrong with you. America needs to be all she can be.....and Yes We Can. There is much to be proud of and much to be dissatisfied and indignant about.....that shows a real understanding of what we have accomplished and how much there remains for us to do.
Excellent post!

Old 10-18-2008, 10:07 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,941,585 times
Obviously Alaska is not Pro America or they would have run the AIP out years ago. Oh wait.....with Palin backing them I guess that's why they are still around.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:14 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I LOVE Joe Biden.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:17 AM

329 posts, read 473,244 times
Default You will soon be calling her

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
She is a disgusting, pathetic woman.
The the Vice President!

Old 10-18-2008, 10:18 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
She said that in NC, a 2004 red state. Does that mean she won't consider NC to be part of America when it turn blue next month?

Old 10-18-2008, 10:18 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,865,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
You can love this coutry all you want.

But stealing from the rich is not Pro American.
Stealing from anyone is a crime.

Since when are taxes stealing? Federal taxes are based upon laws passed by Congress and signed by the President in accordance with the Constitution (remember that thing?). So you are saying that a policy change which is the result of a Constitutional process can be considered un-American (if you don't like it)? You've got to be kidding.

You are confusing pro American with Pro Republican - these are two very, very different things. The Republican party does not decide what is pro-American and what is not. You don't own God, patriotism, or apple pie.

Instead of demonizing your opponents, try having better ideas. Just make sure they aren't the same GOP ideas that sold our future to China, left us in two wars without end, and got us into the terrible financial mess we're in now - all with nothing to show for the money you've thrown away.

Last edited by Xpat; 10-18-2008 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections