Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 05:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
You imply it when you say no educated person would use that word, as if it is racist to use it.
I don't see how "undereducated" equals "racist"; what's the tie-in there? Nobody brought up a tie-in but you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 05:18 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Please find attached a copy of the common college application form. Note the racial classifications they use and the instructions they give for completion.
https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/...monApp2008.pdf
If you wish to be identified with a particular ethnic group, please check all that apply:
p African American, African, Black
p Native American, Alaska Native (date enrolled ___________________________
Tribal affiliation _________________________________________________)
p Asian American (country _________________________________________)
p Asian, incl. Indian Subcontinent (country ______________________________)
p Hispanic, Latino (country __________________________________________)
p Mexican American, Chicano
p Puerto Rican
p Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander
p White or Caucasian
p Other (specify __________________________________________________ ___)

This is to help you evaluate the OP.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, I have no need to take it up with Princeton. Let us not forget that "ain't" is in most modern dictionaries.

And by the way, your useful Princeton word lookup link also lists a person with Down's Syndrome as one of the definitions of the word "mongoloid" (I looked it up just to see whether severely outmoded and today, offensive words were listed there for more than just "mulatto"). Chew on that.
Well then I guess Webster's also uses outdated words.

mulatto

Main Entry: mu·lat·to Pronunciation: \mə-ˈla-(ˌ)tō, mu̇-, myu̇-, -ˈlä-\ Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural mu·lat·toes or mu·lat·tos Etymology: Spanish mulato, from mulo mule, from Latin mulus Date: 1593 1 : the first-generation offspring of a black person and a white person 2 : a person of mixed white and black ancestry

Old 10-17-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't see how "undereducated" equals "racist"; what's the tie-in there? Nobody brought up a tie-in but you.
Turbo-whatever was the one implying that someone who would use the word mulatto is racist. I think you can figure that out from the context of his/her posts above.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:19 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Obama is indeed a mulatto just as my wife who is Mexican-American is a mestizo.
I love to see you point out the us of mestizo in any official US document.

Mestizo, mulatto, creole, octoroon.... oh, what's the point explaining all this.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:20 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,684 times
Color only runs skin deep, as Obama stated he does not look like the other presidents on our dollar bills, he looks African-American and so we should address him as he wishes. I wish that he becomes a role model for the young African-American more so than the athletes and rapper do, instead of taking a scapegoat saying that he is not Black enough, rather that here is a young Black man who went to college got an education and rose to the top, all the way to the top of the system, no excuses.

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Well then I guess Webster's also uses outdated words.
Of course it does; it's a dictionary, and as such, lists words that are currently going out of usage in order to give a complete understanding of possible words used. Again, it also lists "ain't". The assertion was/is that "mulatto" sounds uneducated. The fact that the word is listed in a dictionary does not suddenly make it only a word an educated person would use. Does "ain't" sound educated because it's listed in the dictionary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Please find attached a copy of the common college application form. Note the racial classifications they use and the instructions they give for completion.
https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/...monApp2008.pdf
If you wish to be identified with a particular ethnic group, please check all that apply:
p African American, African, Black
p Native American, Alaska Native (date enrolled ___________________________
Tribal affiliation _________________________________________________)
p Asian American (country _________________________________________)
p Asian, incl. Indian Subcontinent (country ______________________________)
p Hispanic, Latino (country __________________________________________)
p Mexican American, Chicano
p Puerto Rican
p Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander
p White or Caucasian
p Other (specify __________________________________________________ ___)

This is to help you evaluate the OP.
OH MY GOSH! Somebody tell Merriam-Webster since this college application form does not use the word mulatto, IT IS NOT A WORD!

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
You imply it when you say no educated person would use that word, as if it is racist to use it. Don't play dumb about what you were implying with your comments. I don't consider it racist and apparently neither do the people at mulatto.org or the mixed-race man on the youtube video I linked to. I don't go around USING the term on a regular basis but I do know it's a legitimate term and apparently I'm not the only one who doesn't consider it racist. The OP may consider it racist; I still haven't figured out exactly what that post means.
Please I am trying to keep this civil. I have posted here much longer then you and I don't play I will say. You read and you interpreted as others did and do. What we read is often a result of our internal intellectualization and not necessarily what was written. The OP unlike you is suggesting that people should not be allowed to self select. You admit they ramble and are confusing. Your post indicate that people are allowed to self select so we agree.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:22 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,519 times
McLames teeth are as yellow as pee. What does that make him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections