Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:20 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,808 times

Advertisements

I ask this because I really wonder if anyone else does this or it is just me. I have never been political person I have voted but never was really excited about an election. I started watching during the primaries last winter. I heard Obama speak. I felt like he was saying the very issues that our family was dealing with. I found myself crying . It was then that I knew I would be backing him he got what people are going through. Then just a few mins ago Michelle Obama was speaking and I found myself tearing up again. I wondered if this election has made people more emotional. I think for me I feel like Obama makes those that support him feel like we are all part of this journey. It isn't just his race but all of ours race. I not posting this to be made fun of but I'm sure I will. This is for Obama supporters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:25 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times
His inclusion and empowering all of us to feel that we have a role and a responsibility to our country is a great part of his success.

I'm like you- I've voted but have never been compelled to become active for any campaign before. I feel like Obama speaks to me. And when I look at the shambles this country is in, I look at Obama and I see hope for our future and hope that my child can inherit a world that is much better than the one we live in today.

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2008, 10:25 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
I don't want to be rude, I really don't. I appreciate that you are fully for obama and that he has made an impact on you. What I wonder though, is your decision to support obama based on his charisma or his policy?
Undeniably obama is a gifted speaker, and he certainly is very presidential like. I really enjoyed listening to him at the dnc convention myself. But I grow uneasy when it seems a lot of people are drawn to obama more for his personality then for his politics. I guess what I am trying to say is -- is obamas lure a cult of personality or a political movement?
Again, I'm not trying to downplay your connection or support for obama and I am certainly not saying that obama doesn't have more to offer then just his charisma....I'm just wondering how much a part obamas charisma plays in this election?

edited to add: my candidate has zero charisma (ron paul) just to let you know where I am coming from

Old 10-24-2008, 10:30 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
Well, I've always been a Democrat, and I grew up that way - my parents loved FDR and I've always read a lot about him. Read his "Second Bill of Rights", and that's my philosophy.

I loved JFK and Bobby Kennedy. Obama's ideas remind me of Bobby's, and I was crazy about him when I was a teenager. I love the inclusion idea, and the idea that we ALL are equal, and that we DO have to take care of each other. That's just the way I was brought up, and I still feel that way.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:34 AM

72,418 posts, read 18,203,422 times
I am an emotional person but this is election time and I don't go by emotions. I go by facts and figures and experience of the person and not how well he or she speaks and how trustworthy he is. Family background is important but it's not all

Old 10-24-2008, 10:34 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
Besides supporting his every political view... Just what the man stands for. He came from nothing. He was raised by a single mother who he lost at a very young age. He is bi-racial that was raised by his white grand parents. I think he truely paints the picture of the American Dream. YOU CAN BE WHAT YOU DREAM OF no matter what your race/culture is. It is moving to see what this man has overcome and made out of his life.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:38 AM

973 posts, read 2,229,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I don't want to be rude, I really don't. I appreciate that you are fully for obama and that he has made an impact on you. What I wonder though, is your decision to support obama based on his charisma or his policy?
Undeniably obama is a gifted speaker, and he certainly is very presidential like. I really enjoyed listening to him at the dnc convention myself. But I grow uneasy when it seems a lot of people are drawn to obama more for his personality then for his politics. I guess what I am trying to say is -- is obamas lure a cult of personality or a political movement?
Again, I'm not trying to downplay your connection or support for obama and I am certainly not saying that obama doesn't have more to offer then just his charisma....I'm just wondering how much a part obamas charisma plays in this election?

edited to add: my candidate has zero charima (ron paul) so that is where I am coming from
Well said, and it'd be nice if people would objectively look at all the reasons our country is where it is today instead of forming two groups - those in tears over how well a guy can speak, and a bunch of steadfast diehards of the status quo. Although I don't agree with some of his stances, Ron Paul is a major improvement over both of these major party candidates on the ISSUES and how to properly get the country on the right track for everyone. If he spoke and handled himself like Obama, this election wouldn't even be close.. Ron Paul would win in a landslide. But charisma doesn't solve problems, so we may be stuck with Nancy Pelosi running the country because Obama will never say "no" to her or the other leaders of his party.. like Dodd, Reid, and even Barney Frank.

I'd be willing to bet my life savings, if the voters of the country were only handed a resume of each candidate (of the original pool of Democrat, Republican, and 3rd party/Independents, but no names/faces attached) and their step-by-step factual plans on the future without all the glorified rhetoric, including their actions and decisions of the past, neither Obama or McCain would rank highly with the majority of the country.

Unfortunately, advertizing, sensationalism, and the power of money play far too major of a role in our election process.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 AM

230 posts, read 676,150 times
Default 3rd Generation Democrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Well, I've always been a Democrat, and I grew up that way - my parents loved FDR and I've always read a lot about him. Read his "Second Bill of Rights", and that's my philosophy.

I loved JFK and Bobby Kennedy. Obama's ideas remind me of Bobby's, and I was crazy about him when I was a teenager. I love the inclusion idea, and the idea that we ALL are equal, and that we DO have to take care of each other. That's just the way I was brought up, and I still feel that way.
I was not quite old enough to vote when Bobby Kennedy was campaigning, but I was very excited about him being President -- and I'm feeling much of the same excitement now with Obama. It's some of that left over 60s idealism and hope for a better America in the future!

Old 10-24-2008, 12:13 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,808 times
I can say that Obama's ability to speak caused me to listen , what he wants to do when he gets in office is why I will vote for him. Besides the tax thing I'm very interested in Health care. As Americans I find it terrible that people can't see a doctor because they have no insurance or money. It is great to have healthy children but we as well need healthy parents. Seinors that can't even afford their own medication. People who get ill and then have to file bankruptcy.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoberPup View Post
I was not quite old enough to vote when Bobby Kennedy was campaigning, but I was very excited about him being President -- and I'm feeling much of the same excitement now with Obama. It's some of that left over 60s idealism and hope for a better America in the future!
That's right, and I just never lost it, thank God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections