Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:10 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I love the exaggerations on both sides.

Obama certainly favors a progressive tax structure as he thinks under such structures you will end up with a greater distribution of wealth where everyone would be better off.

McCain thinks by reducing taxes to the wealthy you will fuel job growth (as it is the wealthy after all that are supply the capital for new businesses etc) and hence make everyone better off.

The two have similar goal, they merely differ on the best way to achieve it. I really wish people would leave the partisanship at the door and talk about the relative merits of the policy differences
OK Obama says you grow the economy from the bottom up, this is a Utopian idea, you can not do that for the main reason that the bottom doesn't have any money. This is why Obama wants to take from the rich and give to the poor it's the only way the plan can work.
It's just foolish to think that the poor are going to create JOBS (that 3 letter word)

Honestly, Obama/Biden seem like nice enough people but to think that they have a clue about the economy it just nuts, now I'm not says MCCain/Palin know anymore BUT ... I have more faith in McCain to listen to those that do, I don't think Obama has that ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 08:14 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Obama will "help" the dead beats that are to lazy to work.
McCain will help them if they go out and get a JOB.

I'm sick and tired of paying for the dead beat, food stamp, welfare, Section 8, tax dollar parasites that infest our country. Get a job!!
I make about 1/4 what Joe the fake plumber makes, and I've been working since I was 17, never took a dime in welfare, didn't even take unemployment a couple of times when I was entitled to it, worked my way thru college, been in the IT industry for over 24 years, and support numerous charities - so yeah, you can bump Joe's taxes UP a little, and bump mine Down. It doesn't have to be a direct tax cut either, if you give me the option to get into the government medical care program for less than what I've been paying for Blue Cross on my own, then I consider that a tax break.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:21 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
If you are bankrupt and losing your house why should you get some sort of special help...I've had plenty of financial struggles that I managed to plan and work my way out of, and others that I planned for and avoided....I like to think others are accountable to do the same on their own.
If you are a CEO who has driven his company into the ditch, why should you get a multi million dollar golden parachute? If you are a Wall Street investment firm that has mishandled people's investments so badly that you have squandered millions of peoples retirement savings, why should you get a billion dollar bail out? If you are some rich person who inheirited millions of dollars and have never worked a day in your life, why should you get a huge tax break while the guy who has worked his butt off all his life doesn't get one?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
It boils down to this, McCain will continue Bush's 'Welfare for the Rich' policies, and Obama will help the Middle Class, which is in shambles now.
If I'm bankrupt and losing my house, I really don't care what race Obama is, I just want someone who will help, which is why McCain will go down.
Hopefully this will mark the end of the conservative era in the USA. We are only 50 years behind Canada and Europe in getting rid of the conservative agenda but we are finally smelling the coffee I hope.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:26 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
If you're bankrupt and losing your house it's your own fault. How many 'middle class' provide the investment to create jobs in this country? None. You work for us. Be happy you have a job. We take the risks so of course the tax structure should benefit us.
This is EXACTLY why we need to get rid of the Republicans. We don't WANT to work for you. You just have been able to structure it so we have to. If I could keep a roof over my head and feed myself without making YOU richer, I'd do it without a second thought.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:27 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
It boils down to this, McCain will continue Bush's 'Welfare for the Rich' policies, and Obama will help the Middle Class, which is in shambles now.
If I'm bankrupt and losing my house, I really don't care what race Obama is, I just want someone who will help, which is why McCain will go down.

Link? Quote? Proof?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:28 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
It's really that simple at its core.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
Quote:
I make about 1/4 what Joe the fake plumber makes,

Joe the plumber has to have training and work under a master plumber which he is doing in order to get a license in most states it's 5 years.

WE in the republican party call this getting experience, something Obama doesn't have.

So I'm guessing from the rest of your post you like working hard and paying taxes to support the dead beats. The government running health care, you got to be joking ... please seriously look at everything the government has tired to run and name one that has not turned into a giant bloated waste of money, just one.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:33 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
OK Obama says you grow the economy from the bottom up, this is a Utopian idea, you can not do that for the main reason that the bottom doesn't have any money. This is why Obama wants to take from the rich and give to the poor it's the only way the plan can work.
It's just foolish to think that the poor are going to create JOBS (that 3 letter word)

Honestly, Obama/Biden seem like nice enough people but to think that they have a clue about the economy it just nuts, now I'm not says MCCain/Palin know anymore BUT ... I have more faith in McCain to listen to those that do, I don't think Obama has that ability.

Well, we've been doing the "trickle on" economy for a long time now. In that time we have exchanged millions of family supporting job (outsourced to other countries) for minimum wage jobs and low paying jobs...and now even those are going away. In that time millions of families have slipped from the middle class into the working poor. The wealthy have NOT created sustaining jobs in this country in recent years. All they have done is created more wealth for themselves. And, beleive it or not, this country is NOT just a toy for the very rich to use until it breaks. If few are making a wage sufficient to make purchases then even the low paying service jobs are being lost. We need to change the tax laws to make certain that it is more advantageous to mfg. jobs here rather than ship them over seas. And we need to jump start the economy with family sustaining jobs in repairing bridges, roads, etc. until people can afford to buy things which will provide a reason for mfgs. to make things which will provide JOBS. And make darn sure that the things bought are made in America and NOT in China.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:39 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
This is EXACTLY why we need to get rid of the Republicans. We don't WANT to work for you. You just have been able to structure it so we have to. If I could keep a roof over my head and feed myself without making YOU richer, I'd do it without a second thought.

Slow down just a second here.

Do you have a skill?

If so use it.

If you can't get justice from the man, start a business of your own.

I would but I'm unable to. You see I'm a white male who lives in Michigan. The MI SBA has three business loan applications. The first is for blacks only, the second females (no blacks) and the third is for OTHERS! I'm others. I'm screwed.

But you know instead of sitting around b*tching about rich whitey, when I decide that I don't like my slice of the pie, I'll do what I need to to get what I want. I just won't be enrolling in the U of M law program...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections