Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:26 AM

91 posts, read 311,607 times

Advertisements

i get so tired of the "he was only 8 years old when ayer...." So what? I was like 5 when Charles Manson when on his killing spree. But if I started hanging out with him I do believe people would judge me accordingly. And rightfully so. Rudolph is a deranged man with mental issues. He was in special education even. Yes he is a murderer. But Ayer was as sane as anyone and does not have remorse and got off on a technicality or his ass would be serving life right this minute. neither garner any respect from me. But Ayers would be my choice of unrepentant terrorist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 11:32 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
But palin has not been friends with rudolph and his wife (if he has one) either. Palin did not announce her bid to run for AK governor from rudolphs house. Palin does not say ... hey, I wasn't in Atlanta during the bombings nor was I in North Carolina during the man hunt.
Don't get me wrong, I am not defending palins stance on moral equivalency where abortion bombers are concerned. But neither do I give a pass to a man who developes a close relationship with a domestic terrorist, either. Remember, Ayers has said "Guilty as hell, free as a bird, ain't America great". Hardly seems like someone who regrets his actions, no?
In the absence of any proof of this so called close relationship, I would just stop that line of attack. That said, I j had dinner a few years back with a navy Captain, who as a kid spent lots of time working the Hudson river project with Woody Guthrie. His grandparents were neighbors and they spent a lot of time with each other over the years. So considering many still consider Woody a dangerous communist, an agitator, etc, can I consider this Navy Capitain unAmerican, somehow promoting communism, etc? Because you join together on one project, does not mean you agree on all things.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:35 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,675,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Here's my take on her comment "those that engage in harming "innocent" Americans...IMHO, it could be Palin views people that run abortion clinics as guilty, not innocent, because they perform abortions. From Palin's standpoint, it may be she doesn't believe they're terrorists.
So I guess bombing the Olympics doesn't make you a terrorist either?

The people involved in 9/11 thought that Americans are guilty (because of religion, just like Palin), not innocent, does that make them not terrorists?

I'd love to see that said to the face of one of the people he injured, or the families of the people he killed. I guess they were all guilty.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:56 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
In the absence of any proof of this so called close relationship, I would just stop that line of attack. That said, I j had dinner a few years back with a navy Captain, who as a kid spent lots of time working the Hudson river project with Woody Guthrie. His grandparents were neighbors and they spent a lot of time with each other over the years. So considering many still consider Woody a dangerous communist, an agitator, etc, can I consider this Navy Capitain unAmerican, somehow promoting communism, etc? Because you join together on one project, does not mean you agree on all things.
Woody Guthrie advocated the use of bombs to make his political point? Woody Guthrie planted a bomb outside of a judges home? Made nail bombs?
Face it, ayers was a domestic terrorist, just as much as rudolph was. I believe the weather underground did kill at least one person, and prior to their capture they certainly had the means and potential to kill many others.
So, do I really think obama liked ayers? I really don't know...and neither do you. I do think it is a safe bet that at the very least, obama recognized in ayers someone whose friendship/association would take him far up the political ladder in chicago politics. And it did. Why else announce his bid from ayers house? Why not his own? Or any number of 'actual' friends? There was a reason ayers house was chosen, and that reason - whatever it was - deserves to be investigated.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Did I say anything about Woody Guthrie being a bomber. No, what I said was that this association threat is bogus. Did I give you any reason to think that I did not think that Ayers was a bomber, no. It is amazing to me, if you cannot make your argument, you just play dumb and act like you cannot understand what was written. You are making huge assumptions and then complaining when the rest of us are not willing to jump with you. You want us to go from Ayers is a bomber, to Obama knows Ayers, so Obama supports bombing and it is an incorrect conclusion. It is incorrect, if there was anything there, I am sure the folks who fund the negative ads would have had it by now through private detectives. It has been investigated, talked about, discussed, etc and there is no there there. So move on and get your duct tape and plastic sheeting and 80 gallons of fresh water ready for the end of the world as you know it in a few weeks.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:51 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Did I say anything about Woody Guthrie being a bomber. No, what I said was that this association threat is bogus. Did I give you any reason to think that I did not think that Ayers was a bomber, no. It is amazing to me, if you cannot make your argument, you just play dumb and act like you cannot understand what was written. You are making huge assumptions and then complaining when the rest of us are not willing to jump with you. You want us to go from Ayers is a bomber, to Obama knows Ayers, so Obama supports bombing and it is an incorrect conclusion. It is incorrect, if there was anything there, I am sure the folks who fund the negative ads would have had it by now through private detectives. It has been investigated, talked about, discussed, etc and there is no there there. So move on and get your duct tape and plastic sheeting and 80 gallons of fresh water ready for the end of the world as you know it in a few weeks.
You have to be one of the few obamites to actually admit that ayers was a terrorist, a bomber. Prior to this admission, I had heard nothing but white washing and minimalizing of ayers past.
I never said obama supports bombing, and that was not the jump I was hoping to have people make. The point is selling out for political expediency, or perhaps a shared political ideology which is disturbing in the least. I mean, you weren't trying to say palin bombs abortion clinics, right? Your point was that she agreed to some extent or another the political ideology that led rudolph to plant his bombs. And that is disturbing. So too is obamas choice in mentors and political allies.

As far as duct tape and plastic sheeting goes, no I haven't done that nor do I plan to. Although from the sound of it, your second in command is certainly getting his bunker ready for February 2009 --- maybe we should be following bidens lead?

Old 10-26-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
You have to be one of the few obamites to actually admit that ayers was a terrorist, a bomber. Prior to this admission, I had heard nothing but white washing and minimalizing of ayers past.
I never said obama supports bombing, and that was not the jump I was hoping to have people make. The point is selling out for political expediency, or perhaps a shared political ideology which is disturbing in the least. I mean, you weren't trying to say palin bombs abortion clinics, right? Your point was that she agreed to some extent or another the political ideology that led rudolph to plant his bombs. And that is disturbing. So too is obamas choice in mentors and political allies.

As far as duct tape and plastic sheeting goes, no I haven't done that nor do I plan to. Although from the sound of it, your second in command is certainly getting his bunker ready for February 2009 --- maybe we should be following bidens lead?
I know no one who does not recognize that Ayers was, I repeat, was a bomber and has changed his life, and whether it suits or not, he was not convicted and in the us that means we treat him as innocent. The distinction between the two is Obama has recognized and condemned the behavior of the man as a youth and has worked within the Chicago political (remember the Republican Annenberg's appointed this terrorist) network as politicians do. Gov Palin had absolutely no reason in the world to downplay the activities of abortion bombers and yet chose to do so. It is up to her conscience as to why she did not call them terrorists.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:48 PM

355 posts, read 555,532 times
Quote:
People don't repeat Ayers past in these posts because it is common knowledge that he blew up a toilet in the pentagon. We shouldn't have to repeat ourselves if we all know who we are talking about. So I'm not sure where your first sentence comes from. As for your second sentence I have yet to hear of a politican who does not have questionable associations. Name one. My point would be that Ayers is very small potatos. He does not have the same political clout that Keating or Liddy have. I question your use of the word mentor, and I have doubts about the idea that Ayers is a political ally. A political ally is someone who can enhance ones political career. How does Ayers fit in that picture? Is there evidence of a mentoring relationship between the two? If I serve on a board and a fellow board member breaks a law either before or during serving on that board I must be guilty by association is that correct? If my neighbor with whom I socialize on a casual level is arrested for anything. Am I personally responsible? If I meet a fellow member of my church for shopping, and coffee, and that person broke the law at some point in their life than am I guilty also? If you were to hold me to the same standard that you hold Obama than I would go to jail with my neighbor just because I know him. That is really scary stuff and now possible thanks to the patriot act.

Personally I've never considered any politican trustworthy. That hasn't stopped me from voting for them. I just have my eyes open. I don't believe a single one of them has my best interest at heart. The political system in this country pretty much guarantees wheeling and dealing under the table by any politican who wants to get elected.

I find this whole Ayers thing a bit much. Ayers is a straw man used to distract from the really frightening fact that we no longer have the right to due process and habius corpus in this country. Oh yes, my relatives can no longer retire this year.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:57 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,468,452 times
I was standing in the spot where the Olympic Bomb went off an hour before it happened. My friends and I were trying to decide whether to stay and listen to the band or go home (we had tickets to an early morning event the next day).

It was a beautiful event. There were people from all countries there. And children.

And Eric Rudolph bombed it.

It wasn't an abortion clinic. It wasn't a gay bar. It was an international event hosted in an All-American city.

And Sarah Palin won't call him a terrorist. Right.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:05 PM

355 posts, read 555,532 times
Maybe you are only a terrorist if your politics are not far right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections