U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-29-2008, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Denver
386 posts, read 426,664 times
Reputation: 96

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I see I'm keying faster then your able to digest the data, I'll try to key slower. (since I'm keying one handed, this says a lot)

Go buy 50 debit cards for $200 each, charge them all to the Obama campaign, and Obama gets a $10,000 donation FROM YOU, that he does not need to disclose, even though the law states otherwise..
Thanks for condescending to explain, albeit with poor spelling. Please refer to my above paragraph noting that the $10,000 would get charged back.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2008, 03:45 PM
 
13,419 posts, read 7,946,173 times
Reputation: 5159
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I'll wait until a credible newsource reports this to make up my mind.
Newsmax is nothing but spin... getting desperate and throwing everything out there to see if anything will stick....LOL.

someone's probably already posted half a dozen by now, but-

Quote:
Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign is allowing donors to use largely untraceable prepaid credit cards that could potentially be used to evade limits on how much an individual is legally allowed to give or to mask a contributor's identity, campaign officials confirmed.

Obama Accepting Untraceable Donations
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 03:47 PM
 
57,259 posts, read 28,917,353 times
Reputation: 7249
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
Thanks for condescending to explain, albeit with poor spelling. Please refer to my above paragraph noting that the $10,000 would get charged back.
They would NOT get charged back if someone bought debit gift cards and then used the gift cards to donate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 03:50 PM
 
57,259 posts, read 28,917,353 times
Reputation: 7249
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
someone's probably already posted half a dozen by now, but-
Wow, Washington Post looks pretty credible, and it seems to be confirmed by Obamas own campaign.

The Obama team's disclosures came in response to questions from The Washington Post about the case of Mary T. Biskup, a retired insurance manager from Manchester, Mo., who turned up on Obama's FEC reports as having donated $174,800 to the campaign. Contributors are limited to giving $2,300 for the general election.

Biskup, who had scores of Obama contributions attributed to her, said in an interview that she never donated to the candidate. "That's an error," she said. Moreover, she added, her credit card was never billed for the donations, meaning someone appropriated her name and made the contributions with another card.

So she donated $174,800 but she's never donated a dime.. Other people just used her name..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 03:55 PM
 
57,259 posts, read 28,917,353 times
Reputation: 7249
Obama Ignores Credit Card Donation Fraud by Linda W. — news, politics, obama | Gather

The tipster attached the confirmation pages from the Obama Web site showing the names of the donors, and in some cases, the names of other Obama donors who had agreed to "match" their contributions.

None of the matching donors' names appears in the Obama campaign's public disclosures to the FEC.

So they are lying to donators also who donate because their funds are being matched, or so they are told..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 04:06 PM
 
13,419 posts, read 7,946,173 times
Reputation: 5159
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wow, Washington Post looks pretty credible, and it seems to be confirmed by Obamas own campaign.

The Obama team's disclosures came in response to questions from The Washington Post about the case of Mary T. Biskup, a retired insurance manager from Manchester, Mo., who turned up on Obama's FEC reports as having donated $174,800 to the campaign. Contributors are limited to giving $2,300 for the general election.

Biskup, who had scores of Obama contributions attributed to her, said in an interview that she never donated to the candidate. "That's an error," she said. Moreover, she added, her credit card was never billed for the donations, meaning someone appropriated her name and made the contributions with another card.

So she donated $174,800 but she's never donated a dime.. Other people just used her name..
pretty convenient, huh? no wonder his campaign is rolling in dough.

but move along, folks. pay no attention that man behind the curtain. nothing to see here
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 04:23 PM
 
532 posts, read 587,261 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I'll wait until a credible newsource reports this to make up my mind.
Newsmax is nothing but spin... getting desperate and throwing everything out there to see if anything will stick....LOL.
What is a credible newsource to you? Only the ones you agree with? Why not look at both sides. and get a broader perspective!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 04:28 PM
 
511 posts, read 405,520 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
pretty convenient, huh? no wonder his campaign is rolling in dough.

but move along, folks. pay no attention that man behind the curtain. nothing to see here
In that story the Obama campaign refunded the money, and called her. they caught it FIRST.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 04:32 PM
 
57,259 posts, read 28,917,353 times
Reputation: 7249
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthoughts View Post
In that story the Obama campaign refunded the money, and called her. they caught it FIRST.
Actually no, the Washington Post caught it..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Denver
386 posts, read 426,664 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They would NOT get charged back if someone bought debit gift cards and then used the gift cards to donate.
You mean if you went to a store, bought a visa gift card, and used it to donate to the campaign?

Correct. And that would also not be fraud, it would simply be a campaign contribution. No different than using any other credit card or simply writing a check.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top