Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,039,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
The bottom line is that people (some people) are afraid of change. No one is asking for coal to be shutdown overnight. That is extremely impossible. However, I would love to see them EVENTUALLY gone, so my 13-month old son has some sort of future without having to choke on pollution.
It is natural for humans to resist change, but that is beside the point. Obama IS asking for coal to be shut down overnight by bankrupting the coal companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 06:09 PM

26,433 posts, read 46,657,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
What's it going to take for you people to understand that wind is a INTERMITTENT resource??????? It will never replace baseload generation like coal and nuke. I just put a RFP together for 50 Mws of ICCI engines to BACK up wind. I can't wait till the lights go out and we'll see who crys the loudest
My statement wasn't referring to baseload. For baseload I would obviously prefer nuclear over coal. However, I believe we could easily generate 25% of our electricity from large scale wind farms. They are increasing the MW capabilities of the turbine blades all the time.

In terms of placement we use Geographic Information Systems and data collected from observed wind speeds over long periods of time. A class scale is the rule of thumb. The higher the "class region" is the greater possibility that wind energy development could occur.
Here is a sample map for a Great Plains state:http://kec.kansas.gov/chart_book/Cha...icTransMap.pdf
Class 4 is a good starting threshold necessary for wind energy development, with Class 5 and above being more superior.

However, the proper transmission line infrastructure grid must be developed in order to transmit this electricity from isolated "frontier counties" to electricity consuming population centers.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:10 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,873,548 times
Quote:
We CAN do anything ...How many people do you want to die to get it done? You want to play God and tell us who to frezze to death first
OMG. The artificial death throes of people on here are hilarious. Good thing we're in prime time now or the kiddies would all be getting scared.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:12 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,499,977 times
Screw coal and it's 18.4 quadrillion btu's worth of our energy and it's projected 25 quadrillion btu's we will require by 2030.....Who going to volunteering to collect firewood?

Old 11-03-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
It is natural for humans to resist change, but that is beside the point. Obama IS asking for coal to be shut down overnight by bankrupting the coal companies.
No he's not. He's saying that if they want to build a new coal-burning plant, the amount of offsets they'd have to buy would make it basically impossible.

“So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it’s just that it will bankrupt them because they’re going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that’s being emitted.†Obama said, “That will also generate billions of dollars that we can invest in wind, solar, biodiesel and other alternative energy approaches.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:16 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,499,977 times
We need to setup systems that take advantage of sea currents. Wind produces little to nothing of what we have now and for it to even come close to 25% it would have to create 25 quadrillion btu's worth of energy. 3.412 btu = 1 watt.

Germany has the correct plan by sponsoring homes to all have solar panels and tie into a grid and the power system is the housing base for Germany. On a smaller scale we could setup cities like that. The US is far to spread out to have a nation wide system.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,740,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
OMG. The artificial death throes of people on here are hilarious. Good thing we're in prime time now or the kiddies would all be getting scared.
hope you have a coat it's gonna get cold in utopia

Old 11-03-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
hope you have a coat it's gonna get cold in utopia
OooooooKaaaaayyy........... Thanks bunches.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:24 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,288,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
We need to setup systems that take advantage of sea currents. Wind produces little to nothing of what we have now and for it to even come close to 25% it would have to create 25 quadrillion btu's worth of energy. 3.412 btu = 1 watt.

Germany has the correct plan by sponsoring homes to all have solar panels and tie into a grid and the power system is the housing base for Germany. On a smaller scale we could setup cities like that. The US is far to spread out to have a nation wide system.
Good thoughts!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:25 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,288,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
My statement wasn't referring to baseload. For baseload I would obviously prefer nuclear over coal. However, I believe we could easily generate 25% of our electricity from large scale wind farms. They are increasing the MW capabilities of the turbine blades all the time.

In terms of placement we use Geographic Information Systems and data collected from observed wind speeds over long periods of time. A class scale is the rule of thumb. The higher the "class region" is the greater possibility that wind energy development could occur.
Here is a sample map for a Great Plains state:http://kec.kansas.gov/chart_book/Cha...icTransMap.pdf
Class 4 is a good starting threshold necessary for wind energy development, with Class 5 and above being more superior.

However, the proper transmission line infrastructure grid must be developed in order to transmit this electricity from isolated "frontier counties" to electricity consuming population centers.
What about geothermal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections