Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:34 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,312,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
My 7 year old daughter said last night that a kid in her class told her that "Obama kills babies". She was in tears because she voted for Obama in her class's election. Obviously the kid picked it up from a parent somewhere. Regardless of where you fall on the abortion issue, it's very sad that some parents would drag 7 year olds into a very complicated, contentious and gut-wrenching ADULT issue to which they have no sense of understanding, and to use such divisive language at that.

In my opinion, parents have no business talking about the abortion issue with 7 year olds.
Sadly, I've heard a lot of the same garbage from my kids. We are in one of the reddest of red areas in the country. And they were always coming home with crap like that they heard from another kid or teacher...'I heard Obama isn't even American', 'my teacher said Obama is friends with terrorists', 'this kid said Obama doesn't believe in God'...etc etc etc....Welcome to the Republican world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 01:39 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
In my opinion, you have no business in deciding what parents talk to their kids about or how they approach it.

If this "breaks your heart" then you need to to grow thicker skin.

Feel free to be as offended and outraged as you wish. You seem to be one of those strange folks who enjoy having their "delicate and refined" sensibilities insulted. I've often found that the most easily offended people are those who think themselves above the "common man" and seem to perceive "offensive statements" as affirmation of their eliteness. Good day!
Your insignificance in this discussion is fully appreciated.

Quote:
mommytotwo

What exactly did you say to your daughter in response?
My wife and I were both there and told her that they will hear kids say things that they get from adults that aren't really true, and that adults sometimes say things that are meant to make other people angry, and that Barack Obama does not kill babies.

We are not talking to our 7 year old about abortion. And guess what, THAT decision does not affect other households.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
Wow. REALLY age-appropriate parenting. Talking to you SIX YEAR OLD about abortion? Are you nuts?
It depends on the kid and how much they already know. Why lie?

You incorporate these discussions with your whole philosophy on parenting. It's also the time to introduce the concept of responsibility, right and wrong, the meaning of life, why you yourself choose one candidate over another.

The reason I believe in this approach is because for one -- if you lie, if you cover up, if you ignore the quesion or frivalize it, that child will later learn the truth and lose trust in you. You really want to keep their respect and trust.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:10 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
Quote:
My 7 year old daughter said last night that a kid in her class told her that "Obama kills babies". She was in tears because she voted for Obama in her class's election. Obviously the kid picked it up from a parent somewhere. Regardless of where you fall on the abortion issue, it's very sad that some parents would drag 7 year olds into a very complicated, contentious and gut-wrenching ADULT issue to which they have no sense of understanding, and to use such divisive language at that.

In my opinion, parents have no business talking about the abortion issue with 7 year olds.
it is called no guilt, no shame, no conscious. it is also called racism, hate, and unchristian.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:35 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Quote:

My wife and I were both there and told her that they will hear kids say things that they get from adults that aren't really true, and that adults sometimes say things that are meant to make other people angry, and that Barack Obama does not kill babies.

We are not talking to our 7 year old about abortion. And guess what, THAT decision does not affect other households.
Well, that was a good answer too.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:22 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your ammo's missing something.

He NEVER said those things.

He voted against legislation that outlawed those things because it didn't make any exceptions for women whose lives were in jeopardy if they continued the pregnancy. So do you think women whose lives are imperiled by a pregnancy should just go ahead and die?
You are totally and simply WRONG! He supports all those things. You choose to ignore it at your peril.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:38 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
To the pro-abortion crew on here:

If you're a parent, just imagine if your child wasn't your child, yet the child of someone else.

Now imagine that same child being destroyed before he or she ever had a chance to open his or her eyes, see the light of day, and grow up to be the child you have now.

Think you could go through with it?

Yes. You want to emotionalize the issue and focus solely on the fetus. There is another human being involved, the mother. Her health is at risk. Her life is changed forever. She suffers morning sickness, and swollen feet and back aches. It's her life and body that will be changed forever. When a situation really doesn't affect you, it's easy to stand in judgment of the people it does affect. You can't even imagine putting yourself in her position, because you don't know what her situation is. Imagine if a complete stranger decided he was morally superior to you, and began telling you what you could and could not do without even knowing why you made the choices you made.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
You are totally and simply WRONG! He supports all those things. You choose to ignore it at your peril.
I'm not wrong. He has been asked about those things, and he's explained his position. You are making a choice of not believing him. Why? What makes his credibility so questionable in your mind? Just because he's a Democrat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections