Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 03:33 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Those are seven words President-elect Barack Obama is dreading but expecting to hear, friends and advisers say, when he takes office in 65 days.

For years, like legions of other professionals, Mr. Obama has been all but addicted to his BlackBerry.
But before he arrives at the White House, he will probably be forced to sign off. In addition to concerns about e-mail security, he faces the Presidential Records Act, which puts his correspondence in the official record and ultimately up for public review, and the threat of subpoenas. A decision has not been made on whether he could become the first e-mailing president, but aides said that seemed doubtful.
Mr. Obama, however, seems intent on pulling the office at least partly into the 21st century on that score; aides said he hopes to have a laptop computer on his desk in the Oval Office, making him the first American president to do so.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/us...al&oref=slogin

Thought some of you might be interested. Obama'll be the first POTUS with a laptop in the Oval Office. That's a change I hadn't thought of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 05:34 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
lol...That's great. I read the article, looks like their going to have to come up with some new protocol's....having a technology President will definitely test some of the boundaries of communication laws set for "olden" times. It will be interesting to see how things adapt. That Blackberry habit's gonna be a tough one to break. ~trust me.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:44 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Didn't Bill Clinton have a lap top? Oh wait...you are talking about computers.....sorry

Old 11-17-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
lol...That's great. I read the article, looks like their going to have to come up with some new protocol's....having a technology President will definitely test some of the boundaries of communication laws set for "olden" times. It will be interesting to see how things adapt. That Blackberry habit's gonna be a tough one to break. ~trust me.
Agreed. I was talking about this with my husband last night, and we were laughing about the possibilities.

Remember that *fiasco* () with Paris Hilton's BlackBerry (or whatever) a few years back, when everyone freaked out because a bunch of celebs' private numbers were hacked into, and released to the public? Well, can you imagine if Obama lost his BlackBerry and all of a sudden Rahm Emanuel and Colin Powell and Hillary Clinton (et al) started getting thousands of prank phone calls to their cell phones? It could truly be an international incident. Ha.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:34 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
bet he'd have the private numbers of more then a FEW heads of state lol

Old 11-17-2008, 08:35 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I wonder how Obama will deal with the kind of rehab he has to go through by losing his balckberry use and limited internet access.....I wonder if he still likes his job......

I love my blackberry so I know what I'm talking about and he looks like he is way more addicted to it than me

I also heared that he want to email the leaders of other countries rather than talk on the phone with them...why? Is he having some one else write the emails to prevent him self from making mistakes over the phone......makes me wonder

Old 11-17-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I also heared that he want to email the leaders of other countries rather than talk on the phone with them...why? Is he having some one else write the emails to prevent him self from making mistakes over the phone......makes me wonder
eh?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,819 times
I would think that e-mail would provide a record of what was said, so that any confusion could be easily cleared up.

I much prefer e-mail to communicate. I know many people who are extremely intelligent that do as well. Some people just prefer to write out their thoughts.

I don't find that at all unusual.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I much prefer e-mail to communicate. I know many people who are extremely intelligent that do as well. Some people just prefer to write out their thoughts.

I don't find that at all unusual.
I'm one of those people. I much prefer to write out my thoughts than to use the phone. It allows me to say what I want to say without being interrupted or forgetting everything I want to express. I love to write, and I HATE talking on the phone, so it makes sense for me.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:54 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
I'm one of those people. I much prefer to write out my thoughts than to use the phone. It allows me to say what I want to say without being interrupted or forgetting everything I want to express. I love to write, and I HATE talking on the phone, so it makes sense for me.
Try being glued or hardwired to every piece of communications technology out there...vacations cause withdrawal and relief. It still takes a few hours and some active thought just to wind down....*an understanding yet uncompromising wife is a GREAT help... - no blackberry, no laptop, no quarters (you'd be amazed at how well she can plan a vacation to a dead spot...~sigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections