Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:15 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally posted by nononsenseguy
This is absolutely ridiculous. There is a reason for "partisanship", and it isn't a bad thing. It's good.

Thre reason there is such a divide (if you haven't figured it out, and apparently you haven't) is that there is a vast difference in ideology.

We (as Conservatives) do not want what they (the liberals; i.e. Democrats) are selling!

This business of "crossing the isle" has got to stop. It is precisely why McCain lost the election.

Someone said recently that now that the election is over, McCain should "cross the isle ... and sit down!"

For fear of having another post deleted, and another "warning", I cannot comment further, as it would surely be seen as "straying off topic". But I have a lot more I could say on this. I will refrain, however.
I don't think ScranBarre (or anyone here) is saying that partisanship is inherently bad. In politics, you're going to have partisanship, but there's an unhealthy attitude of "allegiance trumps goodwill" that is prevalent in this country. I myself blame talk radio (left and right) and other biased media for fomenting division in the country.

I myself have deep respect for John McCain because he's a "cross the aisle" kind of guy, unlike his supporters on election night who jeered him for mentioning Obama's name (And the same goes for the left wing nutcases who went overboard on Bush. This isn't just limited to the right) Neither he (and apparently, Obama) let blind ideology trump goodwill. In sum:

Healthy partisanship: I'll argue with you till the cows come home on policy ___________; but at the end of the day, you're a decent person, and we're all americans.

Unhealthy partisanship: I'll argue with you till the cows come home and you're a filthy, worthless person who doesn't deserve to speak. I hate you! Go away and shut up!!!!!

The latter, my friends is what ScranBarre is complaining about. And I completely share his frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
..... My question is if my fellow 18-24-year-olds can disagree with civility, then why do people twice our age foam at the mouth, twitch their eyes, hurl expletives, and otherwise act like such uncivilized beasts when someone from an opposing political party approaches them?
:
You post is well stated and I agree with your premise.

However, I don't agree wth the assertion re 18-24 year olds. I've seen enough vids of what 18-24 year olds do when a conservative or right wing speaker is invited to speak on a college campus.

It ain't always pretty free speech-wise.

Incivility over social and political issues has no age boundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections