Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:49 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ya, and letting blacks in the armed services also lowers morale right?
Can we please stop drawing a moral equivalence between being black and being gay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 03:11 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
lol, it absolutely DOES matter. Morale is very important to the military. Armies with low morale fight poorly.
What does morale have to do with an order? If soldiers are given an order they will carry it out to the best of their abilities. It is the DUTY of a soldier to follow the orders of the commander. If it is the order of the CNC to allow gays into the military, then the subordinates MUST follow that order. I know it's not hard to understand.

Quote:
I wonder how many women would sign up if they knew they'd be forced to shower with men.
I'm a woman and if they announced tomorrow showers will be co-ed, I STILL am going to join the military. Like I said before, I'm not in the showers for a peep show; I'm in there to y'know, shower . But if my fellow male soldier wants to cop a peek, then that's on him; at least he'll have a show while doing it.

But really, are you going to answer my question? Are you obsessed with sex and your heterosexuality? If not, please explain to me why you think homosexuals are.

Quote:
But that doesn't mean that the CinC has some sort of responsibility to make the military reflect the makeup of the nation. Are you advocating some sort of quotas to make sure that there are 76% whites, 12% blacks, 10% gay, 90% straight, and so on? WHY must the military look exactly like the population as a whole? Should we let in fat people? Cripples? Retarded folks? Women in combat?
You sound like the modern day advocate for slavery, or not allowing desegregation; really, you should listen to yourself. Being gay does not hinder ones ability to follow orders and to be physically fit, free of handicaps, and free of mental illnesses. The only difference from a straight soldier and a gay soldier is that one likes the opposite sex and one doesn't. IT IN NO WAY HINDERS THEIR ABILITY TO PREFORM. Seriously, you sound like a bigoted fool (not saying that you are one though). A man will show himself to be a man, REGARDLESS OF HIS SEXUALITY. If you think that a homosexual is somehow less of a man than his hetero counterpart, then you have some deep soul searching and learning to do my friend.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:18 PM

714 posts, read 1,539,628 times
Yeah...It will be a mess when he does this. What is wrong with what we have? Next thing you know they will want to know if you prefer blond hair or red hair. I would be surprised if our military didn't weaken because of it, not because gay people aren't as strong, but because it will damage the moral value, tradition and determination that are instilled in our soldiers.

He should leave it like it is....I meet you, serve with you, I dont know if you like men or women and frankly I don't give a damn. What's wrong with that?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:40 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyl1979 View Post
Yeah...It will be a mess when he does this. What is wrong with what we have? Next thing you know they will want to know if you prefer blond hair or red hair. I would be surprised if our military didn't weaken because of it, not because gay people aren't as strong, but because it will damage the moral value, tradition and determination that are instilled in our soldiers.
Moral value? Yea, like going off base and getting **** ant drunk, or having one night stands with any woman (or man) that is available?? Are you talking about those morals??

Tradition?? It used to be tradition to not allow blacks to serve alongside whites and it used to be tradition to not allow blacks to have high ranking positions. Are you talking about those kinds of traditions?

Determination??? Are you saying that Billy will be less determined to follow an order now that he knows Johnny is gay? Give me a break!! How does the sexuality of one man affect you in the least? The determination of soldiers won't be weakened because some of them are gay. Seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyl1979 View Post
He should leave it like it is....I meet you, serve with you, I dont know if you like men or women and frankly I don't give a damn. What's wrong with that?
And you won't have to know after it ends the policy unless a gay tells you. All ending this policy will do is allow gays to join the military and not have to lie about it. They won't get penalized for their homosexuality. The only people that would know is the soldier and the commanding officer. If he wanted to tell you, then he'd tell you. If he didn't then guess what?? Aw shucks, you know where I'm going with this.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
What does morale have to do with an order? If soldiers are given an order they will carry it out to the best of their abilities. It is the DUTY of a soldier to follow the orders of the commander. If it is the order of the CNC to allow gays into the military, then the subordinates MUST follow that order. I know it's not hard to understand.
It probably is hard to understand for someone who hasn't served a day in uniform.

Quote:
I'm a woman and if they announced tomorrow showers will be co-ed, I STILL am going to join the military. Like I said before, I'm not in the showers for a peep show; I'm in there to y'know, shower . But if my fellow male soldier wants to cop a peek, then that's on him; at least he'll have a show while doing it.
Well, since YOU would do it, let's make it mandatory. Of course, since you've never served, I don't know that we should use your opinion as a basis for making these decisions, eh?

I'd bet a month's salary that forcing women to shower with men would cause female enlistments to drop...are you saying otherwise?

Quote:
But really, are you going to answer my question? Are you obsessed with sex and your heterosexuality? If not, please explain to me why you think homosexuals are.
As a male, yeah, I'm obsessed with sex. If I were to shower alongside the gender that I'm openly attracted to, even if I wasn't making any concrete plans to jump their bones, it might make things a little awkward.

Quote:
You sound like the modern day advocate for slavery, or not allowing desegregation; really, you should listen to yourself. Being gay does not hinder ones ability to follow orders and to be physically fit, free of handicaps, and free of mental illnesses. The only difference from a straight soldier and a gay soldier is that one likes the opposite sex and one doesn't. IT IN NO WAY HINDERS THEIR ABILITY TO PREFORM. Seriously, you sound like a bigoted fool (not saying that you are one though). A man will show himself to be a man, REGARDLESS OF HIS SEXUALITY. If you think that a homosexual is somehow less of a man than his hetero counterpart, then you have some deep soul searching and learning to do my friend.
Oh goody, we've come to the part where I'm a racist. Just one more step till I get called a Nazi and I can invoke Godwin's and walk away.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Are you saying that Billy will be less determined to follow an order now that he knows Johnny is gay?

Billy already knows that Johnny is gay, but if Johnny is a good enough leader, keeping Billy's arse out of an unnecessary sling, Billy will follow Johnny into the gates of hell.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:06 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
Quote:
lol, it absolutely DOES matter. Morale is very important to the military. Armies with low morale fight poorly.

We are trained killers, yes, but we are still human.

I wonder how many women would sign up if they knew they'd be forced to shower with men.
And why is it that only the men seem to get the heebie jeebies from gays? There are gay women, you know. Most straight women don't seem to care if the other women they're showering with are lesbians or not.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But why should anybody change to please others? Believe it or not, most military members are straight, and religious. Why should military members be forced to accept homosexuality in their ranks?

Of course there are homosexuals, rapists, bisexuals, swingers, and all kinds of folks in the military, but that's not the norm. Bill Clinton compromised and changed the rules relating to homosexuality in the military, and now Obama wants to screw things up even more.
There are gays in the military. They were there even in the late 70s and early 80s when I was there. They would never admit it but everybody kind of knew it. In the Air Force I doubt if gays would even raise an eyebrow.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
And why is it that only the men seem to get the heebie jeebies from gays? There are gay women, you know. Most straight women don't seem to care if the other women they're showering with are lesbians or not.
Oh my gosh...are you suggesting that men and women are wired differently?

STOP THE PRESSES!!! We better get a billion $$$ grant to do a study on this one...

Seriously, though, would you feel the same way about a man showering with you as you would about a lesbian showering with you?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:12 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh...are you suggesting that men and women are wired differently?

STOP THE PRESSES!!! We better get a billion $$$ grant to do a study on this one...

Seriously, though, would you feel the same way about a man showering with you as you would about a lesbian showering with you?
No, I'm suggesting that the men could learn something from the women. Or are you suggesting that homophobia in men is hard wired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections