Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:21 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

Didn't take long for this thread to go from a discussion on "al queda vs Obama" thread to a "CD posters vs sailordave" thread.

Not everyone who didn't vote for Obama isn't going to not support him as the nation's President.

Many who voted for Bush were typecast as rethuglicans, wingnuts and worse.

Maybe we need a new forum for "CD Personal Vendetta" threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 04:26 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
It's a shame. Here I said something good about President Obama and rather than discuss the article and the point I was trying to make it went off on a completely different topic.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:06 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
It's a shame. Here I said something good about President Obama and rather than discuss the article and the point I was trying to make it went off on a completely different topic.
Dunno, but seems to be the typical pattern with your threads here Dave: Start with a loaded topic, quickly start throwing around hostile accusations ("Unlike most liberals who have a blind hatred of Bush...") and then whine when things go off-topic. Imagine that! Guess it also makes you a victim, right?

BTW, as to the "Bush-haters", GW was hired by the American people to do a job, and the election & every poll indicate that most folks think he performed miserably at it. So where's the rule that says we have to balance criticism of Bush with positives?

If you hired a contractor to work on your house, and he ended up setting fire to the garage, accidentally killed your pet, and his workmen robbed you blind (twice!), are you really in the mood to hear some yutz complain, "Hey, why do you hate my friend? Can't you see he was always nice to your kids? Oh, and he's the reason your house didn't burn down..."!

As to the OP, there's a much better (and more informative) discussion over here.

Last edited by mateo45; 01-27-2009 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: url

Old 01-27-2009, 09:14 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:
To combat Obama, al-Qaida hurls insults - Washington Post- msnbc.com
from page two of the above
"The leadership of al-Qaeda is very concerned about the wide support that Obama has been receiving from Arab and Muslim countries," Katz said. "To combat this threat, al-Qaeda has embarked on a propaganda campaign against Obama, not only by linking him to the policies of the Bush administration, including the occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan, but also by accusing him of actions in which he had no part."
"Inevitably Obama will make certain decisions that will be unpopular and which the propagandists will quickly castigate," Pillar said. "I expect that the honeymoon will be just as fragile and short as with the American electorate."

It shows that the measure of a man is not merely his friends but his enemies as well. I don't see the term "house negro" in the post, and the link is expired-- or did you just throw that part in yourself?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times
The "house negro" comment is old..It's also good. I'd rather have Al-Queda hurling 18th century insults instead of 21 Century terror attacks. The election of Obama has really hurt recruiting. It's really set them back..

Old 01-27-2009, 10:15 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,116,604 times
back to the topic, this Al Quaeda guy is more informed than the average [Obama] voter in America because he got this phrase from a fellow Democrat, Harry Belafonte, from years back when Belafonte called Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice, and other blacks in the Bush administration house negros. I think it is lovely how hypocritical it all is, and how the media just went balistic over this Arab calling Obama a house negro, but they all pretty much agreed with belafonte. Almost sounds racist, which of course an NBC or ABC reporter did bring race into the whole thing with Al Quaeda by mentioning that one of the heads was a racist and paid black terrorists less than Arab terrorists. Now how the hek would he even know that? And he just proves too many points to mention here, but it is funny.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,171 times
Quote:
To combat Obama, al-Qaida hurls insults - Washington Post- msnbc.com
from page two of the above
"The leadership of al-Qaeda is very concerned about the wide support that Obama has been receiving from Arab and Muslim countries," Katz said. "To combat this threat, al-Qaeda has embarked on a propaganda campaign against Obama, not only by linking him to the policies of the Bush administration, including the occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan, but also by accusing him of actions in which he had no part."
"Inevitably Obama will make certain decisions that will be unpopular and which the propagandists will quickly castigate," Pillar said. "I expect that the honeymoon will be just as fragile and short as with the American electorate."
I think the correct wording should have been "WHITE HOUSE Negro". And I'd wager a fair bet that where Obama is living is a heckuva lot nicer than wherever it is that this little pissant Al Qaeda twerp is living.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
"but they all pretty much agreed with belafonte."

Links please.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:46 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Let's take a wait and see approach on this one. It's obvious that their insults towards Obama were to try to make him do something rash. Personal insults don't mean as much here as they do in some countries and cultures. I'll admit that if having Obama as president means a reduction in Al Qaeda members then that's a good thing. I'll withhold my opinion on his economy plan for later.
Ideologies escape boundaries, and national borders. Extremists (Right and Left) know no national boundaries. Such name-calling is quite prevalent here at home, from the same kind of extreme right wing propagandists.

Personal insults mean very much the same, but tend to have lesser effect in a progressive society that much of the world looks at America as.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:17 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
The "house negro" comment is old..It's also good. I'd rather have Al-Queda hurling 18th century insults instead of 21 Century terror attacks. The election of Obama has really hurt recruiting. It's really set them back..

I'm familiar with the phrase. I was asking how it wended its way into the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections