Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would do a better job of stimulating the economy and creating jobs?
The $800B stimulus spending package? 11 26.19%
A 6 month Federal income tax holiday? 31 73.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:44 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times

Advertisements

I heard that as an alternative to the stimulus spending package, the Fed could simply have a tax holiday from March 1 to August 31. 6 months of no personal income taxes. As the stimulus package goal is to stimulate the economy and create jobs, wouldn't putting all that money directly back into the economy be better than having the government spend it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Every $100,000 spent buying a Sanyo, Sony or Samsung big screen tv will generate how many American jobs?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:21 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
I put down 6 months, however, I think 3 month one would be more realistic. You can't underfund the country too much.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:07 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
A tax holiday would not suit the govt. THEY want to spend your money, they don't want you to decide how to spend your money.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Tax cuts isn't going to do it (at least not alone). Tax cut money that is simply sat on (which is what people do when they are frightened) will do absolutely nothing to stimulate the economy.

Ken

Old 02-10-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Every $100,000 spent buying a Sanyo, Sony or Samsung big screen tv will generate how many American jobs?
Ask the unemployed Circuit City employees... We can go protectionist with the products but that hurts the overall economy. Heck, the jobs that the stimulus spending package are going to create/save are not limited to American citizens. The "buy American" and "hire American" provisions were removed from the stimulus spending bill...

Old 02-10-2009, 07:56 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I put down 6 months, however, I think 3 month one would be more realistic. You can't underfund the country too much.

I put down 6 months as well, but I think that 2 years without any income taxes would do more for the economy that any stimulus package.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Tax cuts isn't going to do it (at least not alone). Tax cut money that is simply sat on (which is what people do when they are frightened) will do absolutely nothing to stimulate the economy.

Ken
Tax cut money that is invested will help the economy. Tax cut money that is saved will help the economy.
100% of tax cut money will be spent, saved or invested. When the money goes to DC, how much is lost due to pork and the overhead of government....

Old 02-10-2009, 08:12 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Tax cut money that is invested will help the economy. Tax cut money that is saved will help the economy.
100% of tax cut money will be spent, saved or invested. When the money goes to DC, how much is lost due to pork and the overhead of government....
No, money that is saved will NOT help the economy - at least not in the immediate run - that's been the problem with the bank money that was given out. The banks are simply sitting on it so it's it's not circulating nor helping the economy. Once it finally begins circulating THEN it begins helping the economy. Same is true at the individual level. While it IS true that we have not been saving enough money as individuals, right NOW that's not the problem. The immediate problem is that people are not spending money because they are frightened. Saving money on a regular basis is a lot different from refusing to spend money because you are scared. Saving money on a regular basis is good for the economy (and America as a whole). Refusing to spend because you are too frightened to spend simply leads for further panic and downward spiraling economy.

This is why it's the GOVERNMENT that NEEDS to spend money. Then must get out into the economy rather than just sitting in a bank's balance sheet.

The argument that money is lost due to "pork" and the "overhead of government" - and therefor will not stimulate the economy is pure nonsense. Money spent on "pork" or "overhead" is STILL money spent. It provides jobs for people and economic stimulus. I would certainly rather see the money spent on "worthwhile" projects that produce something of permanent value (of course one person's "pork" is another person's "worthwhile project") but the truth is, to get the economy moving again either one will have an effect. You seem to think that because it's "pork" or "government overhead" it doesn't make it's way into peoples' paychecks. So what exactly DOES happen with that money?

Ken

Old 02-10-2009, 09:21 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I put down 6 months as well, but I think that 2 years without any income taxes would do more for the economy that any stimulus package.
Agreed.
At least lower the income tax for the middle class 5 to 10 percentage points.

Maybe it will stimulate someone to buy an RV from Elkhart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections