Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:21 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,659 times

Advertisements

I'm getting tired of this.

Yes, troops want to come home. But, not before their mission is done.

Don't you get it?

Mumma's don't get to decide for their grown up sons and daughters anymore.

When an 18 year old man or woman makes a decision; it is their decision.

And who are you to tell them how to live their lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 04:45 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Didn't Obama say this is one of the first things he'd do as soon as he was sworn in?

Not so easy to do, huh? He's already ticked off the Cole and 9/11 families so I guess he needs a breather.
Well, ya know...anything to win an election.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:04 PM

The priority is not to bring the troops home.

The priority is to get things done overseas.

People who enlisted in the Army, Navy, AirForce, etc. understand their missions.

Don't ask what government can do to make democracy weaker. Ask what government can do to make democracy stronger. Maybe Sudan is next. Isn't that what Democrats want? Maybe the Congo.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:03 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,265 times
Obama said within the first 8 months that he was in office, he's at about 1.5 months now, so I would most definitely bank on them being home by August. Obama is a man of his word.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Obama said within the first 8 months that he was in office, he's at about 1.5 months now, so I would most definitely bank on them being home by August. Obama is a man of his word.
Mamma Mia,

When will you learn that ALL politicians are liars? Even the Messiah.

If some troops are home by August; that would be great.

Do you understand that it's not all about you?

Sometimes ... America's young, capable people accept a responsibility.

To keep you safe.

Every Man that goes into combat is not your little boy anymore. He is a man.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:44 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Can't you get anything right?
For the UMPTEENTH TIME - here it is - as reported by conservative commentor Charles Krauthammer in his JUNE 18th 2008 editorial:

"Obama promises that upon his inauguration, he will order the Joint Chiefs to bring him a plan for withdrawal from Iraq within 16 months."

Charles Krauthammer - Make the Election About Iraq - washingtonpost.com

Ask for the plan immediately - which he DID (not with the Joint Chiefs - but with Petraeus - who is in CHARGE of the theatre of operations).
Plan for a withdrawl in 16 MONTHS - got it?

Not 8 MONTHS, not 3 WEEKS - 16 MONTHS.

Merciful Mother - it's like beating my head up against the wall trying to have an intelligent debate with people who can't even get their facts straight.

Ken

Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 PM

425 posts, read 665,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Can't you get anything right?
For the UMPTEENTH TIME - here it is - as reported by conservative commentor Charles Krauthammer in his JUNE 18th 2008 editorial:

"Obama promises that upon his inauguration, he will order the Joint Chiefs to bring him a plan for withdrawal from Iraq within 16 months."

Charles Krauthammer - Make the Election About Iraq - washingtonpost.com

Ask for the plan immediately - which he DID (not with the Joint Chiefs - but with Petraeus - who is in CHARGE of the theatre of operations).
Plan for a withdrawl in 16 MONTHS - got it?

Not 8 MONTHS, not 3 WEEKS - 16 MONTHS.

Merciful Mother - it's like beating my head up against the wall trying to have an intelligent debate with people who can't even get their facts straight.

Ken
So, why hasn't he brought them home yet???

Old 02-14-2009, 10:23 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,751 times
why are there still so many dumbos? didn't obama promise improve edumacation?

Old 02-15-2009, 04:43 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
Oh, great - now we have the Clintonish "It depends on what "is" is?

He campaigned (along with the no-load Dem Congress in 2006, I might add) that he would bring the troops home

People (not me, cause I knew he was lying) beLIEved him - they beLIEved he meant quickly

They did not think he meant bring them home to turn them around to deploy to Afghanistan

They also did not think he was going to leave thousands of troops in Iraq under a different name - he's going to call them "non-combat brigades"

Okay - that will be quite comforting to the first mother that loses her son because he was still in Iraq as a non-combat soldier!
So were leaving all of the facts out now? were just going on what you think people thought? Obama said he would start to withdrawal troops asap, that doesn't mean bring them all home in 3 weeks. He even told us that he would leave a very small amount of troops compared to now in Iraq to ensure they are properly trained to defend themselves. This is all old news, perhaps if you'd stop watching Fox you'd know that.

And you want to stop the war in Afghanistan? is that what you're saying? Man you really don't know anything about what situation America is in right now do you? Afghanistan is a war we should definitely be in, it actually has to do with America's safetly as opposed to the war Bush started cuz i guess he felt bored.

Like do you research anything or do you just assume you know whats going on and post random bs?

Old 02-15-2009, 12:06 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Yes, Obama did pledge to begin troop withdrawals immediately and I believe he has already started the process. I believe the last target date I heard for complete withdrawal(minus the troops that will probably always be stationed there) in 2011.

Originally posted by nickeldude
Quote:
And you want to stop the war in Afghanistan? is that what you're saying? Man you really don't know anything about what situation America is in right now do you? Afghanistan is a war we should definitely be in, it actually has to do with America's safetly as opposed to the war Bush started cuz i guess he felt bored.
While I am in total agreement with you about the fact that Bush started "fools" war based on nothing more than lies and scare tactic, I was wondering how you feel we are being threatened by Afghanistan? They are not or even near being a nuclear power and the country is mostly comprised of renegade factions and poor farmers. Are you referring to the threat of their massive drug production capabilites? Because I can understand that point. They are the largest exporter of heroin in the world. But other than that they are just another Iraq, only these people don't give up. They fought the USSR for ten years and won in the end, sending the Reds into bankruptcy.

I am not saying you are wrong, I was just looking for a little elaboration on the reasons you feel Afghanistan is such a threat or why you feel it is so important for us to remain over there. I mean, everything is pretty much running as it has over there for hundreds of years, while right here at home we are in the middle of the one of the worst economic downfalls in our short history. Wouldn't it be productive to stand down and stop spending so much money fighting people that don't really pose that big of a threat to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections