Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be done with MLK & Presidents Day holidays?
Keep MLK Day only 6 8.22%
Keep Presidents Day only 23 31.51%
Keep BOTH Presidents Day and MLK Day 38 52.05%
Keep NEITHER Presidents Day nor MLK Day 6 8.22%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 04:16 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times

Advertisements

I suggest we celebrate Juneteenth Day (June 19th), as opposed to MLK Day. Summer is a much better day to have a day off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 04:39 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,343 times
This thread is ridiculous.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:43 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Maybe we can call it MLK and Rober E Lee's day...same date!
They do that in VA, or did that. Lee-Jackson-King Day.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I suggest we celebrate Juneteenth Day (June 19th), as opposed to MLK Day. Summer is a much better day to have a day off.
Memorial Day, the 4th of July, Labor Day arent enough for you?

What's your problem with MLK?

Old 02-13-2009, 05:12 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
You don't have a point, and your post sounds racist.
That is just so typical, if/when people don't agree with someone views they are automatically labeled as racist. I don't think there should be any holidays honoring just one person. I do think the idea of having a holiday to commemorate events/movements/causes is better. MLK wasn't the only Civil Rights leader, there were several.....black and white. Therefore his MLK day should be renamed to honor ALL OF THOSE involved in the CR movement, not JUST Him!

We have Presidents Day, which I agree with, It Honors ALL PRESIDENTS, and now that Obama is in office it includes him.
We have Memorial Day, which honors all of our soldiers male and female who have died for our country. I agree with this!
We have Independence Day......does this really need an explanation? I agree with this one as should every true American.
We have Labor Day, which honors working Americans. I am neutral on this since I usually have to work anyway.
We have Columbus Day to honor Christopher Columbus. I totally disagree with this Holiday.....It honors ONE PERSON ONLY. In fact didn't the Vikings land in the America's first?
We have Veterans Day......another one which really doesn't need an explanation. I agree with.

My point is, we should not have holidays for just ONE SINGLE PERSON.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:49 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,343 times
Why shouldn't we have holidays for one single person? King Jr. did so much for this country in terms of civil rights and equality, and to say that he didn't do more than anyone else is just plain wrong. Its not like they were just handing out holidays willy nilly when MLK got his, he earned it. Actually look up what he did in America and you will know why.

And I'm not sure but I think Columbus day has been renamed "discoverer's day" because it turns out columbus was an a hole.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:03 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Memorial Day, the 4th of July, Labor Day arent enough for you?

What's your problem with MLK?
No need to be so defensive.

No problem with MLK...but rather with the timing. I would much rather have a warm June day off, instead of a cold winter day. A holiday in June could be combined with other days to extend a vacation, go to a ballgame, go camping. So much more to do with a free summer day.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:12 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That's your company's choice.
You're always welcome to look for a job in another company if you don't like your benefits.
No one is stopping you.
The government took nothing away, they consolidated Washington & Lincoln birthdays to provide an extra day for the celebration of the life and achievements of MLK.

Sounds like a little sour grapes on your part, and perhaps some racism.

What do you mean that the government can hardly afford these holidays?
That statement makes no sense.

I'm sure students, of any age, complain about too much time off.
Yeah, especially your AA students who DO NOT WANT to celebrate MLK. Yeah, they want more celebration of white America; that rings true (not).

This reeks of bs.
Government workers receive some paid holidays, our government can't afford them.
And yeah, the kids I work with are more intelligent than many adults I encounter. The students do like to be in school, it means breakfast and lunch and time away from often less than desirable neighborhood situations. We had a long discussion about school holidays and their significance, and their concensus was a day to honor Americans, in general would be more meaningful.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:15 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
We don't have many legal U.S. Holidays that honor people. In fact, I can only think of two now...MLK Day & Presidents Day. I understand the need and proclamation to honor a black leader, such as MLK. But now that we have a black president, can't he, as the highest held black official now fill that need and be represented with all Presidents, regardless of race and color?

Besides...MLK day just comes way too close to all these other days we have off (Christmas, New Year's and Presidents Day).
no senator mccain we cannot and will not eliminate MLK DAY

Old 02-13-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
No need to be so defensive.

No problem with MLK...but rather with the timing. I would much rather have a warm June day off, instead of a cold winter day. A holiday in June could be combined with other days to extend a vacation, go to a ballgame, go camping. So much more to do with a free summer day.
Can't you take a day off?

Just wondering why you complain about being forced to stay home on a day in January.

Memorial Day is generally warm weather....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections