Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,217,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Thats funny since most engineers are usually conservative thinkers, its almost inherent.
Uh? Says who? You... ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM

37,808 posts, read 41,097,858 times
You aren't getting the point. The Dems put stuff in the stimulus bill, now the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, that belong in various Department appropriations bills/the budgets. In the case of Volcano Monitoring it belongs in the appropriations bill for whatever government agency oversees volcano activity. But the reason these types of things have been smushed into the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 is to turn off debate in Congress and hide the expense. It was very lofty of Mr Obama to say in his speech that he's going through the government budgets and lining through things they don't need when he/the Dems hid all of the things they want to pay for anyway in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 so they don't have to put them in the appropriations proposed budgets.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:44 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,191,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
If the GOP wasn't trying to promote Jindal by giving him the chance to make this silly little rebuttal speech then why are you wasting your time with the same response over and over again that he isn't big time in the party right now? After Obamas' four short years who will the GOP run against him? Apparently Jindal isn't being promoted right? Pull the wool.

Jindal is being groomed for leadership in the GOP but not the nomiinee in 2012, at least not at the top of the ticket. It is too early to make such predictions. Nice try though.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:46 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,217,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You aren't getting the point. The Dems put stuff in the stimulus bill, now the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, that belong in various Department appropriations bills/the budgets. In the case of Volcano Monitoring it belongs in the appropriations bill for whatever government agency oversees volcano activity. But the reason these types of things have been smushed into the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 is to turn off debate in Congress and hide the expense. It was very lofty of Mr Obama to say in his speech that he's going through the government budgets and lining through things they don't need when he/the Dems hid all of the things they want to pay for anyway in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 so they don't have to put them in the appropriations proposed budgets.
Those sneaky Dems.... Kind of like Bush not budgeting the 2 wars at all. You know, no accountability?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:48 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,731,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Savage Planet: Volcanic Killers - Mount Rainier
"In all, 30,000 Puyallup River Valley residents could be in direct danger, along with 100,000 people living in the mountain's six other valleys."
Thats 30000 people that are taking a risk. I don't see why this is everyone else's problem. Not only is it ridiculous to make this an issue for everyone... the likelihood of such destruction even happening is all speculatory.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:49 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,470,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Congress could have put the ENTIRE STIMULUS into a regular appropriations bill, don't you see? But then the effect of the stimulus would be LATER and WEAKER. Obama believes that time is of the essence for addressing the current economic problems.

Whether the amount to spend on VOLCANO MONITORING found in the stimulus bill is more or less of what would have been designated to be spent in the next fiscal year ANYWAY, I can't tell you.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,792,443 times

Bobby Jindal either blew his chances for national office last night, or we're all in worse shape than I thought...

Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,191,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
'Scuse me hon. I feel so awful that I offended your "young un" sensibilities. Lil' Barack and Lil Bobby Jindal are quite the same -- unless YOU make them different in YOUR mind!

They are both younger than I am.

So? Is this a big deal to you? I have no problem with it. They are both younger politicans.

As far as this thread goes, I was very surprised at how far out of touch I felt Bobby Jindal was with the ordinary Californian. Seriously. I thought he was way way way out there. Even farther out than a Sarah Palin parody. Just way out there.

If he was out of touch with California, that might not be a bad thing. What made him so out of touch with democrats is that he thinks people should take personal responsibility and not rely on government for the answers. Imagine that kind of thinking?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:53 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,731,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Uh? Says who? You... ?
LOL... You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you that art students were typically liberal would you? Too funny...

Old 02-25-2009, 10:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,885,779 times
If I lived in the Pacific Northwest I would demand these mountains be monitored. As I live in the Northeast I merely want these things to be monitored. I do not care what bill funds this work just so long as it gets funded and the system is installed ASAP.

Without some form of monitoring network an unexpected ("that mountain wont blow on me" - Harry on St. Helens) eruption could kill thousands in a matter of hours with flooding and mudflows. The physical damage will not be changed but there is a possibility of getting folks to the high ground if there is some warning.

Jindal is turning out to be quite an fool that reinforces his obvious stupidity every time he speaks. I can only hope the voters of Louisiana kick him out of office ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections