Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 11:23 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,357,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
A major eruption of Mt Rainier isn't going to kill only 57 people next time, unless there's LOTS of monitoring and warnings.
How very true. . . and the cost of "cleanup" after a major erruption will make the money used for monitoring look like small change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 11:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
PT - don't bother trying to convince fool like JTraik and the rest of the idiots about the importance of scientific research. If the funding could buy them a beer now it would be better spent than finding out more about the universe we occupy.

Fortunately, we have a executive that, although he is not a scientist, values scientific knowledge and is supporting needed research.

BTW - who said the left doesn’t support the idea of human evolution? I am a scientist and a leftist and I certainly think the humans have evolved the same way all livings thing have. IE – random mutation winnowed by natural selection. This has been changed by the effects of our farming, engineering and medical technologies.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Uh, see, THAT is what SCIENCE is all about

Don't fully understand something?

FIND OUT ABOUT IT!!!!!!!

Sheesh, repubs and science! Ooops! I put them in the same sentence!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
What are your "scientific" credentials? My post, that you have so readily taken out of context, was directed at no one else but ParkTwain. My point was he carelessly agrees to throw away money at something he DOES NOT FULLY UNDERSTAND. What are YOU going to learn from this 140 million dollars worth of monitoring?????? Do you think the "scientists" are going to come to your home, thank you for your support and then present detailed reports? Unless you live in a volcanic region then none of this applies to you.
Oh, I see it isn't the hatred and fear of science that bothers you but the idea that someone ELSE may receive aid ...got it....it's a repubs thing.

BTW, whether or not I have scientific credentials has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:30 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Are there volcanoes in India?

Just wondering,
this has nothing to do with Piyush "Anchor-baby" Jindal.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:30 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,686 times
GregW, I have to respectfully disagree. The left embraces evolution and natural selection to be sure, and rightfully so in my mind. But paradoxically, avoids natural selection in the affairs of government. Nature does indeed work efficiently. The left simply does everything possible to stop nature from working when it comes to humans exercising their free will.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Thats 30000 people that are taking a risk. I don't see why this is everyone else's problem. Not only is it ridiculous to make this an issue for everyone... the likelihood of such destruction even happening is all speculatory.

I didn't like the idea of rebuilding New Orleans. It still sits below sea level. The same people who didn't have enough sense to leave for Katrina are still living there. How many times do we need to do this?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:35 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Jindal is who I always thought he was... an idiot. A politician whose only motivation is to win, and win at any cost. If it takes being an amateur exorcist, so be it. If it takes making Catholicism a part of his politics, so be it.

Having said that, Jindal, once again targeted those reptards, by doing what has become an integral part of the Grand Old Pity... make up stories. Pick up a few lines, lies, and tell them over and over until they are accepted as facts by the retards around.

Or may be, he really lacks the intelligence (the only thing I expected of him) to realize that $140m set aside is for more than just "volcano monitoring". It is money set aside for USGS which does a lot more than volcano monitoring.

Perhaps, he is just like his fellow GOPers: McCain and emailing, Bush and teh interenets, and Ted Stevens and a series of tubes. That they have so little understanding of the pieces, that they are downright dangerous for this country. It must take a certain type to be a republican these days.

Quote:
Thats funny since most engineers are usually conservative thinkers, its almost inherent.
It would be smart to keep such BS to yourself, instead of announcing it in a place that has engineers around. Unless you believe that saying it five times will make it so...

Old 02-25-2009, 11:35 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Gov. Jindal Follow-up: What Is 'Volcano Monitoring'? (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/govjindalfollowupwhatisvolcanomonitoring - broken link)

God help these GOP philistines! If it's not about MAKNG MONEY, they CAN'T GET IT!

Here, Governor, let me google that for you!
Let me google that for you

I guess the only rumbling of the ground he feels in Louisiana is when a freaking OIL REFINERY blows up!
Let me google that for you

Park Twain doesn't get what the spending bill is for!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Has anyone heard Bobby speak other than this 2/24 Republican response?

Does he always talk this way?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:37 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Park Twain doesn't get what the spending bill is for!
Apparently neither do you.

The $140 million to which Jindal referred is actually for a number of projects conducted by the United States Geological Survey, including volcano monitoring. This monitoring is aimed at helping geologists understand the inner workings of volcanoes as well as providing warnings of impending eruptions, in the United States and in active areas around the world where U.S. military bases are located.

Most of the money from the stimulus bill earmarked for monitoring (only about a tenth of the total going to the USGS) will go to modernizing existing monitoring equipment, including switching from analog to digital and installing GPS networks that can measure ground movements, said John Eichelberger, program coordinator for the USGS's Volcano Hazards Program. Much of the expense of this technology comes from the manpower required to make and install it, he added.
"Ultimately most of this creates jobs or saves jobs that would have been lost" to recent budget shortfalls Eichelberger told LiveScience.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/govjindalfollowupwhatisvolcanomonitoring (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections