Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:03 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You seem to be missing the point. The United States reached an understanding with China through careful, complex, diplomatic means, thus avoiding a war. The maoist Chinese were no less heartless than the Taliban. The United States also reached an understanding with the Soviet Union through diplomatic means, even though the old hardcore Soviets were brutal murderers.

Reagan also tried to defeat the Sandinistas in Nicaragua without going to war with them by covertly giving money to the Contras, although they were arguably not moderate. And Reagan tried to do it by SELLING ARMS to the Iranians--oh, the irony.

Anyway, diplomacy, and behind the scenes manipulation, which Obama is trying with the Taliban, is a time-tested and approved means of reaching agreement with one's political enemies. It's often a matter of waiting until more moderate elements are poised to exert themselves and then giving them encouragement.
That was the definition of appeasement. A little more complicated than you are maong it out to be.

If you want to go into Reagan:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...rs-reagan.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...n-remider.html

Read through the threads first I have a feeling that would answer any questions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The "chess game" you're talking about is international diplomacy. It's an alternative to the John Wayne movie version of "Cross this line and I'll kick your ass."
No you fail on so many parts. Read the art of war....

The Art of War - Google Book Search

Though I don't expect you to get it the first time upon the 10th time or so an understanding beyond which most people are privy to appears.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:44 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

Though I don't expect you to get it the first time upon the 10th time or so an understanding beyond which most people are privy to appears.
I generally refrain from making personal comments, but any attempt at having a serious, fact-based conversation with you is a waste of time, due to your lack of education and experience. You and people like you are the reason the Republicans lost the election and still don't understand why.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Of course when exposed for a fraud the left tends to deflect, project and cry (quick make me the face of the republican party while you still have a smidgen of credibility). You picked one of those for sure....

Old 03-12-2009, 10:06 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Of course when exposed for a fraud the left tends to deflect, project and cry (quick make me the face of the republican party while you still have a smidgen of credibility). You picked one of those for sure....
Better than being a sore loser...!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 PM

380 posts, read 1,058,505 times
Obama's foreign policy will succeed if the media says it has, but in reality, it will not. he is neither and statesman or a leader. He is in over his head and is surrounded by idiots. Does this sound a little like Bush? You betcha it does. The only difference, Bush made clear what he would do-maybe it wasn't the right way, but it was clear. As for Obama-and honestly I think he does mean well-but he seeks the counsel of fools if he honestly thinks speaking to the Taliban will bring results-it will only bring concessions from the United States and nothing from the Taliban. You cannot negotiate with people like the Taliban, and anyone out there who believes this is possible is in real need of a mental exam-why not ask one of the many Afghan immigrants in America about this. They know the score, only knuckle headed liberals could consider such delusions.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Again, Is Obama going to continue to put our soldiers in harms way if he already thinks we are losing the war in Afghanistan and wants to smoke the peace pipe with the enemy Taliban who call him illogical. Get in it to win it or get the heck out. Pussyfooting around is going to get more of our troops killed for nothing if he is going to turn tail.

Taliban say Obama's call on moderates "illogical"

"This does not require any response or reaction for this is illogical," Qari Mohammad Yousuf, a purported spokesman for the insurgent group, told Reuters when asked if its top leader Mullah Mohammad Omar would make any comment about Obama's proposal.

"The Taliban are united, have one leader, one aim, one policy...I do not know why they are talking about moderate Taliban and what it means?"

They do not sound like they want to pussyfoot around to me. Perhaps Obama should adopt this mentality when it comes to war.
I guess it was okay for The Bush Crime Family though. Was the Taliban not invited to Washington for a visit?

Afghanistan, the Taliban
and the Bush Oil Team

CRG -- Getting used to the idea of double standards: The underlying maxim is "we will punish the crimes of our enemies and reward the crimes of our friends"

Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quote:

Couldn't you find this book in your bookcase? Did you get it from the library, a bookstore or Amazon and read it, or did you simply do (ahem) a
quick Google search and post the title that looks best? Please explain this book to us in detail, as we so clearly know nothing of politics or world dipomacy.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
Couldn't you find this book in your bookcase? Did you get it from the library, a bookstore or Amazon and read it, or did you simply do (ahem) a
quick Google search and post the title that looks best? Please explain this book to us in detail, as we so clearly know nothing of politics or world dipomacy.
Clearly you have all the dipomacy you need. My explanations to you would do nothing but fall on deaf ears.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
If you and I have the courage to tell our elected officials that we want our national policy based upon what we know in our hearts is morally right. We cannot buy our security, our freedom from the threat of the bomb by committing an immorality so great as saying to a billion now in slavery behind the Iron Curtain, "Give up your dreams of freedom because to save our own skin, we are willing to make a deal with your slave masters." Alexander Hamilton said, "A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one." Let's set the record straight. There is no argument over the choice between peace and war, but there is only one guaranteed way you can have peace--and you can have it in the next second--surrender.
Ronald Reagan-A Time for Choosing (http://www.reaganlibrary.com/reagan/speeches/rendezvous.asp - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections