Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:37 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Driving to work is a luxury? Driving to the store is a luxury?
Actually to be technical, if you live in an area where public transit is an option, then yes driving IS a luxury. In an area where PT is not available, it is a Necessity. Same goes for air-conditioning. In Texas AC is a necessity, in Maine, a luxury. It all depends on where you are and what your options are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
In other words, the taxes on luxuries such as tobacco lower the consumption by poorer people, and thus isn't an overall burden on them. Furthermore, the father of liberty through free trade does not see a problem with this.
Anything like the "tea tax" that was put into place by the British monarchy hundreds of years ago?

p.s. your argument is wrong. Example: the cost of crack keeps rising, this doesnt mean that "poorer people" reduce their consumption. While crack obviously is not taxed, the breakup of the cost doesnt matter, the overall cost rises and yet people continue to use it. Just because the cost goes up does not mean that the tax increase is not taking place..

Old 04-02-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Actually to be technical, if you live in an area where public transit is an option, then yes driving IS a luxury. In an area where PT is not available, it is a Necessity. Same goes for air-conditioning. In Texas AC is a necessity, in Maine, a luxury. It all depends on where you are and what your options are.
The government/courts have disagrees with you on both counts. A landlord can let an air conditioner break and not fix it, and the ability to obtain public transportation is not a consideration.

Even though reality states that one needs a car and/or an airconditioner, "technically" you can live without both..

Last edited by pghquest; 04-02-2009 at 11:54 AM..

Old 04-02-2009, 11:53 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
I think I'll opt out of the cigarette Tax and not buy any.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Brad Schiller Says Barack Obama's Tobacco Tax Will Hurt the Poor - WSJ.com

"I can make a firm pledge . . . no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase." Remember that? It was Barack Obama, campaigning to become president last Sept. 12 in Dover, N.H.

Indeed, he promised repeatedly that 95% of American families would get a tax cut. So it's especially fitting that he chose April Fools Day to implement his first tax increase -- which will fall mostly on individuals and families who do not make anywhere near $250,000 per year.

Early in February, the president signed a law to triple the federal excise tax on cigarettes -- which will jump from 39 cents per pack to $1.01 today. His administration projects this tax hike will bring in at least $38 billion over the next five years.

I'm sure the liberals response will be.. thats ok that he stood there and lied to my face to get my vote.. People should be healthy and shouldnt smoke..
You should have included Obama's complete quote from September 12, 2008:

Quote:
"I can make a firm pledge, under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.
Our first Affirmative Action President repeatedly vowed "you will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime." In his nomination speech he said "Listen now, I will cut taxes — cut taxes — for 95 percent of all working families, because, in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle class."

Naturally, the very first bill he signs into law increases taxes that effect the poor the most by more than 2,000% in some cases. The biggest losers in the new excise tax are the makers of roll-your-own tobacco, which the poor resort to using when premium cigarettes become unaffordable. The tax on RYO tobacco, for example, went from $1.10 per pound to $24.78 per pound. That is a tax increase of 2,252.7%!

So there can be no question that our Affirmative Action President lied through his teeth, as anyone with a brain knew he would.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:07 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Quote:
Anything like the "tea tax" that was put into place by the British monarchy hundreds of years ago?

p.s. your argument is wrong. Example: the cost of crack keeps rising, this doesnt mean that "poorer people" reduce their consumption. While crack obviously is not taxed, the breakup of the cost doesnt matter, the overall cost rises and yet people continue to use it. Just because the cost goes up does not mean that the tax increase is not taking place..
Hey don't take it up with me, take it up with the father of capitalism!

I also don't see how taxation without representation has to do with it. I mean, you can vote, right?
Also, the tobacco tax increases have been shown to decrease smoking in the recent decades. There somehow seems to be a difference between crack and tobacco.
Just google something like "tobacco tax reduces smoking" and I'm sure an abundance of information will flow through your eyes and into your brain. Or not.
Here's just one such entry:
Tobacco Tax Increase Would Reduce Smoking Rates, Protect Public Health

American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network: Tobacco Tax Increase Would Reduce Smoking Rates, Protect Public Health

Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I think I'll opt out of the cigarette Tax and not buy any.
Yeah. I love that people preach personal responsibility. Except when it's there own. Then suddenly they're like helpless crack addicts that are oppressed by the government.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I also don't see how taxation without representation has to do with it. I mean, you can vote, right?
Yes, thats the point of the thread.. People voted for yet another lier and the liberals sit here and excuse it...

Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, thats the point of the thread.. People voted for yet another lier and the liberals sit here and excuse it...
Ok. Way to completely change the line of thought. You didn't address anything I just previously said.

Please name a president that kept ALL of his campaign promises. It's a friggin show, no matter what. They wouldn't have made it to the top if they didn't put one on.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Ok. Way to completely change the line of thought. You didn't address anything I just previously said.

Please name a president that kept ALL of his campaign promises. It's a friggin show, no matter what. They wouldn't have made it to the top if they didn't put one on.
There is a difference between promising to do something, and promising to not do something. So its ok to now lie provided you score enough points to get elected?

Remember the "no new taxes" pledge by a Republican president that was criticized to no end? How is this different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections