Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times

Advertisements

House Passes F.D.A. Regulation of Tobacco Products
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 12:20 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
People dont need alcohol to live either..so where is the tax on that? Oh thats right..99% of congress are hopeless alcoholics..go figure
Actually, that probably wouldn't matter. If Geithner, Clinton and Daschle (I realize that Daschle is now ruined, of course) are any measure, these legislators and cabinet members don't care about tax hikes because they simply aren't paying them.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
A landlord can let an air conditioner break and not fix it,

Really....

Old 04-02-2009, 12:25 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,603,722 times
Quote:
There is a difference between promising to do something, and promising to not do something. So its ok to now lie provided you score enough points to get elected?

Remember the "no new taxes" pledge by a Republican president that was criticized to no end? How is this different?
Well, since you ignored the other arguments I gave that he in fact lied about raising taxes on the middle class and poor, I'll just engage this line of thought instead.
All presidents break promises. Is it ok? Of course not. But, some promises are a bigger deal than others. Personally, I don't care about either of these presidents not to raise taxes. So in that specific case of Bush, no I don't think that was a relevant thing to be harping on.
On the other hand, W's promises about being a foreign policy realist instead of a neo-con where promises I cared about. I'm sure Obama will break a promise I care about. But he hasn't been there long enough to do so yet. Although I guess his method of change, yet some of his appointments fit the bill. But that's politics.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Well, since you ignored the other arguments I gave that he in fact lied about raising taxes on the middle class and poor, I'll just engage this line of thought instead.
All presidents break promises. Is it ok? Of course not. But, some promises are a bigger deal than others. Personally, I don't care about either of these presidents not to raise taxes. So in that specific case of Bush, no I don't think that was a relevant thing to be harping on.
On the other hand, W's promises about being a foreign policy realist instead of a neo-con where promises I cared about. I'm sure Obama will break a promise I care about. But he hasn't been there long enough to do so yet. Although I guess his method of change, yet some of his appointments fit the bill. But that's politics.
The thread is about Obama breaking his pledge to not raise taxes on 95% of the public. It is not about Bush. If you want to discuss Bush or other presidents breaking their pledges start your own thread. Changing the subject to "Its ok because all presidents do it" does not mean that Obama did not lie to the American public. Changing the subject does not mean its ok. I hold all presidents up to their promises, thats why we vote for them. Excusing them for lying to our face is unacceptable, (but obviously ok to you)....

He hasnt been there long enough to break a promise YOU care about so its not a problem? I see, so now we need to ask you if the pledge is important before determining if its debatable

Old 04-02-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
The thread is about Obama breaking his pledge to not raise taxes on 95% of the public. It is not about Bush. If you want to discuss Bush or other presidents breaking their pledges start your own thread. Changing the subject to "Its ok because all presidents do it" does not mean that Obama did not lie to the American public. Changing the subject does not mean its ok. I hold all presidents up to their promises, thats why we vote for them. Excusing them for lying to our face is unacceptable, (but obviously ok to you)....

He hasnt been there long enough to break a promise YOU care about so its not a problem? I see, so now we need to ask you if the pledge is important before determining if its debatable
You're the one that brought up Bush with "No new taxes". You're the one that changed the subject. I was trying to use another president as a comparison.

Yes, since all politicians break promises, it largely matters which ones they break that matter. That's reality.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM

Ok, so here's my point. If you can't accept a president that ever breaks a promise, ANY promise, you would hate all presidents.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:46 PM

Today - "The federal government would for the first time have regulatory powers over the tobacco industry under a bill the House approved Thursday after years of campaigning by anti-smoking forces."

Source

Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Quote:
Brad Schiller Says Barack Obama's Tobacco Tax Will Hurt the Poor - WSJ.com

"I can make a firm pledge . . . no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase." Remember that? It was Barack Obama, campaigning to become president last Sept. 12 in Dover, N.H.

Indeed, he promised repeatedly that 95% of American families would get a tax cut. So it's especially fitting that he chose April Fools Day to implement his first tax increase -- which will fall mostly on individuals and families who do not make anywhere near $250,000 per year.

Early in February, the president signed a law to triple the federal excise tax on cigarettes -- which will jump from 39 cents per pack to $1.01 today. His administration projects this tax hike will bring in at least $38 billion over the next five years.

I'm sure the liberals response will be.. thats ok that he stood there and lied to my face to get my vote.. People should be healthy and shouldnt smoke..

I'm sorry. Why are you surprised about yet another politician who has broken promises after he's elected?

Old 04-02-2009, 01:48 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I'm sorry. Why are you surprised about yet another politician who has broken promises after he's elected?
It is not about surprise. It is about reality, and waking up the Obamabots from their kool-aid induced hallucination. It is not about "change", it is about the "status quo." Our first Affirmative Action President lied, just like every other politician that came before him (no change there), and he continues the exact same economic and foreign policy programs begun by Bush (no change there).

So anyone who voted for him on his promise of being something different should be finding out about now that they got scammed. This is no great surprise for anyone with a modicum of intelligence, but then again, those with a modicum of intelligence did not vote for the empty suit full of lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections