Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:25 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

Have any of you been so disgusted with the tabloid aspects of journalism that you stopped watching news shows altogether? I'm not critical of the partisan nature of news sources rather I'm critical of the entertainment factor that has gotten too involved with journalism. I feel like CNN, FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC etc has become like Sports Center. No actual events or "news" is occurring but in order to have ratings, the networks discuss issues ad nauseum each day as if a major movement or action just took place. I feel like it is an incredible waste of time. Case in point, the healthcare debate/issue that is constantly being discussed on CNN and Fox. Nothing has actually happened but both sides continuously rehash the same arguments and try to create this fervor as if a major vote is occurring immediately when in reality nothing has happened, no one knows what will happen and it could be months before any significant vote or action occurs. Yet the news channels discuss it as if it's happening right now. It just seems like a lot of fluff because they have to find something to occupy their time. Of course, I have not abandoned watching the news but I no longer watch shows like Anderson 360, Hannity, Campbell Brown, O'reilly or even have the news playing in my office. I don't feel like anything is actually occurring but to fill the void, they discuss these issues ad nauseum. I don't feel like I'm learning anything by watching them rehash old arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 04:26 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,525 times
I check the internet from time to time to see what's going on, but I'm with you, I don't watch "news" unless it's local so I can get the traffic and weather

Old 01-19-2010, 04:29 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Amen. The sensationalism bordering on outright tabloidism, if you will, on every major news network has disgusted me.

Look, I get it. Drama gets ratings. And you need ratings. But that's not good journalism, in my opinion. Sickening.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Have any of you been so disgusted with the tabloid aspects of journalism that you stopped watching news shows altogether?

No. I watch them all and decide for myself, who is making the most sense with common sense, with facts to back up what they say..

Old 01-19-2010, 04:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
If I want news, I'll read a paper.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:36 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
We watch a lot less because all news tends to massage some issues.

A guy I do increasingly like is Dylan Ratigan. He's on MSNBC in the afternoon and also on some radio program. He seems to call it as he sees it with no liberal or conservative bias. He has a financial background and will take on and explain complicated issues. I don't know how long he'll last because he is honest and seems to go after the hypocrites in government. His show has a refreshing honesty about it.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 PM

324 posts, read 573,824 times
Agreed with OP.
Not only the news comentators are acting as if something very important or urgent was taking place, while nothing is going on, but the 'nothing' is often interrupted by tons of commercials...
Yes, I stopped watching news, and I don't miss anything. If something is really happening, somehow it gets to my attention without much delay, anyway.

Last edited by paulpan; 01-19-2010 at 04:59 PM..

Old 01-19-2010, 04:53 PM

324 posts, read 573,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
We watch a lot less because all news tends to massage some issues.

A guy I do increasingly like is Dylan Ratigan. He's on MSNBC in the afternoon and also on some radio program. He seems to call it as he sees it with no liberal or conservative bias. He has a financial background and will take on and explain complicated issues. I don't know how long he'll last because he is honest and seems to go after the hypocrites in government. His show has a refreshing honesty about it.
Reminds me Lou Dobbs. How do the two compare?

Old 01-19-2010, 04:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Even Glenn Beck went after the Republican party, today. For having Progressives embedded within that party too, cough-cough McCain, cough Graham.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:58 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
YES!

I listen to local news, read local papers, and for other news, I tune into NPR, or the BBC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections