Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 AM

43 posts, read 129,631 times

Advertisements

I moved to Houston after five years of living in Eugene, thinking there would be more opportunities here, more jobs, just...more. And I hate it very much and don't know what I was thinking and want to move back ASAP. Like, this month. Even though I just got here three weeks ago. I miss you, Oregon, you are where my heart is. I doubt I'll ever complain about tweakers and rain again, because Texas friggin' blows chunks. I'm coming back, dammit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Hey there. I'm a Texan and we very fortunately escaped years ago and never looked back. I hear ya'. Oregon is amazing, a truly magical place and it'll welcome you when you're ready to come back home!

Aside from that... maybe head north a bit and try your luck in Austin. It's definitely not the same cool town it was 20 years ago, but if I were forced against my will to return to Texas, I'd shoot for Austin and try to make the best of it. Houston is a very strange, odd and ugly place. I'm from the big D, and hated it.

Good luck!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,054,711 times
Just curious, where were you before your 5 years in Oregon? I was only in Eugene for 2 years, but Eugene & Oregon really made a positive impression on me. It helped that I could see downtown from my living room window. I loved going hiking in Oregon. I wish I had more time to do that while I lived there. I was in school so didn't have a lot of free time.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:34 AM

43 posts, read 129,631 times
I grew up in southern California and moved to Oregon in '05 for school. It was a wonderful departure from the shallow, materialistic mindset that is CA. I just wish I had realized that Oregon was where I belonged. Now I gotta turn around and go back. ><

Old 11-12-2010, 04:40 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
sinister sometimes leaving is what it takes to realize what's really important to you. Now when you come back hopefully you won't suffer the wanderlust of not knowing whether it's the right place for you or not.

A lot of people I've met here in Eugene have spoken of how this place is like a rubber band. People leave but they always want to come back, and eventually manage to (the lucky ones).

Old 12-26-2010, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 8,718 times
S-sugar, I hear ya. Try going from Eugene to Phoenix, which wasn't too bad considering I then went to Detroit.....Almost ten years later I am happy to say I have all but signed the contract to come back to Eugene. BTW I spent a month near the medical center in Houston a few years ago and I agree, Houston is a bit rough. I can't wait for my first summer and fall back in Eugene.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:52 PM

254 posts, read 653,248 times
I agree. I was one of those who left (DC, then Chicago) and just couldn't stop thinking about it. Oregon is definitely home

Old 12-28-2010, 08:38 AM

15 posts, read 40,648 times
Default coming back

hahahahha, i left *thirty four years* ago(after graduating from u of o and heading off to ecuador for peace corps) and am finally getting back there next year. it definitely gets in your blood! can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area