Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 PM

231 posts, read 778,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
The air quality doesn't bother me at all, or most other people.

A friend of mine has grass allergies, and around spring when they start to set in his face begins swelling, his eyes and nose start running, his throat clogs up, and pretty soon he is bedridden. He is talking about just ditching town until summer this year.
I don't know of any one else who gets it this bad though. And no, it's nothing like LA, where you can feel the pollution in your hair after a couple days. Try visiting sometime during the spring, and if allergies don't bother you then I would assume you're ok.
Good advice. Sometimes I wish these forums had more of this level-headed advice rather than so much babbling by people who have some hidden agenda (to take revenge on some city for giving them a parking ticket or whatever).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 11:54 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Our son was on three different medications to help with respiratory issues when we lived in Texas and for awhile when we lived in California, but in Eugene he has never had a problem at all. He has been off medication now for many years. Really, I don't think the air is as bad here as some people try to make it out to be for whatever their reasons are. I think, too, that the data you can find posted online is often misleading. We are in the southern end of a valley, air can sometimes get trapped here at times until the next bit of wind can push it out. So the results will vary depending on when and at what particular spot the air samples were taken at, and so on. We wouldn't have some of the best water in the nation (and some of the purest lakes in the world) here, if our air was bad. We have lots of trees which act in part as air filters, and good amounts of wind as well, which helps keep things moving. We are about an hour from the coast, and surrounded by woods, mountains, prairies, wetlands... As far as city-living goes, it's one of the better places to breathe in this country, we believe.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:20 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
The former cause of Eugene air quality issues was grass seed farmers burning their fields, and in my father's day the saw mill wigwam sawdust burners. Both burning practices are now prohibited/seriously controlled. Eugene sits at the southern end of the Willamette Valley and there are times when the winds don't scour out the air shed.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:47 PM

857 posts, read 1,732,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The former cause of Eugene air quality issues was grass seed farmers burning their fields, and in my father's day the saw mill wigwam sawdust burners. Both burning practices are now prohibited/seriously controlled. Eugene sits at the southern end of the Willamette Valley and there are times when the winds don't scour out the air shed.
Virtually any populated area in the Western US is subject to winter air stagnation -- when surficial (air pressure measured at the ground) High pressure systems park themselves over large areas of the US -- whether it's over Oregon/Idaho/Utah; Arizona/Nevada/California.

When these systems are present, storms are diverted into Canada, and also, south into southern CA, and winter winds are virtually non-existent.

This is called the "split jet stream" by TV meteorologists, map:
http://www.theweatherprediction.com/blocking/

I can recall several consecutive days of high pollution levels during the winter living in Seattle, Puyallup (WA), Corvallis (OR), Boulder City (NV), etc.

Even Puyallup, Washington never allows any indoor fireplace burning, ever, since prevailing winds from the S and SW are blocked from hills south of town.

In the summer, the Puyallup winds gust up to 30mph out of the NW and there are no issues.

In fact, conditions are so calm in Puyallup that the sulfur pollution from natural gas is noticeable!

If you require nearly pristine air quality, try areas with nearly constant synoptic scale atmospheric motions (i.e. rapidly moving fronts), such as areas in the Rocky Mountain states (such as Albuquerque, NM)..

On the other hand, if you suffer from Migraines, Epilepsy, or Depression, excess positive ions -- in such windy mountain areas -- can be detrimental for SOME patients like me, especially if you have blonde or red hair (this wind-driven Ion effect is *NOT* true for EVERYONE!!!).

As a weather nut, I am curious about whether Eugene does have higher pollution than these other cities. I guess it's possible, but I'd have to do more research.

I can't imagine how Eugene could have higher air pollution than Tacoma/Seattle, L.A., Sacramento, or Vegas. I do recall that Corvallis had issues, but not nearly as severe as Vegas or Seattle.

Any stats on air pollution in Eugene ?

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 05-08-2009 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: linx

Old 05-09-2009, 12:11 AM

231 posts, read 778,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
Any stats on air pollution in Eugene ?
When you find them, be careful of any data that is older than one or two years. Eugene and the surrounding areas have had big changes in air quality in a very short period of time due to new regulations.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:47 PM

12 posts, read 25,828 times
The air is bad in eugene because there is hardly any trees.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:15 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
On OPB they did a segment on a show called Oregon Field Guide that talked about how you can tell if a place has good clean air or not by how much and the state (health) of the lichen on the trees. A nice walk around Eugene will show you that we have plenty of lichen. Of course, the higher up the buttes you go the healthier the lichen is. Also the more variety of lichen as well. My favorite is Old Man's Beard.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
A major cause of particle pollution is diesel engines.

The biggest cause in the Winter in Lane County, is the number of people that use wood for heat. Wood stoves and fireplaces cause a lot of air pollution in the area.

Eugene and Lane County Rank High On Air Pollution List | Natural Oregon

Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
A major cause of particle pollution is diesel engines.

The biggest cause in the Winter in Lane County, is the number of people that use wood for heat. Wood stoves and fireplaces cause a lot of air pollution in the area.

Eugene and Lane County Rank High On Air Pollution List | Natural Oregon

If air pollution from wood burning fireplaces, is the cause of such air quality problems in Eugene. Then why isn't there a ban on wood burning, especially during periods of bad air quality. I know a number of places across the country, issue bans on wood fires during bad air periods. As environmental as Oregon is, and if the air actually does get that bad in the area. Then I'm surprised Eugene isn't more strict on this issue.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
If air pollution from wood burning fireplaces, is the cause of such air quality problems in Eugene. Then why isn't there a ban on wood burning, especially during periods of bad air quality. I know a number of places across the country, issue bans on wood fires during bad air periods. As environmental as Oregon is, and if the air actually does get that bad in the area. Then I'm surprised Eugene isn't more strict on this issue.
Sometimes they do ban wood burning: Public Education : Home Wood Heating Program | Lane Regional Air Protection Agency
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area