Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,350 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am looking to relocate from the Baltimore Metro Area to a more urban or similarly suburban setting in the Eugene area. Right now, I am living in the suburbs of north central Maryland with my parents...and it's time for a change! I am 26 years old and recently graduated with my Master's in Forensic Studies. I work for the local sheriff's office in domestic violence; though I don't totally dislike the area, the cost of living is far beyond the pay scale for jobs in my field (in this area) - not to mention I just want to get out of Maryland and off of the east coast in general.

I have done a little research on areas in Oregon and Colorado and both have the possibility of being a nice fit, but Oregon seems to be more affordable in the income to housing market ratio. I know that finding a job is most important in attempting to relocate; I have glanced over openings and salaries with local government and they are higher than what something comparable would be here and there seem to be at least a handful of jobs I could safely apply for. But what are some opportunities, businesses, or non-profits that you would recommend looking into for case management, victim advocacy type jobs? Although I am not an LCSW (social worker), my Bachelor's Degree is in Criminology and Forensic Psychology and my work/internship history spans from law enforcement to legal work to counseling. I would like to be making somewhere in the neighborhood of $38k or above annually.

What I am looking for, initially, is an affordable rental property - studio to a 2-bedroom apartment - that would still allow me to save $ toward purchasing. My problem here is that school loans consume 50% of my current income, leaving me with the other 50% to pay for other bills, gas, and groceries. I would need to increase my salary and find something affordable to rent in order to make my dreams of relocating a reality.

Any insight, advice, or suggestions on the Eugene area in general, the job market, or rental/real estate would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 06:27 PM

28 posts, read 65,551 times
My take on the living standard here in Eugene, purely my view.

Apartments are reasonable, I think. If you want a quiet apartment then I wouldn't advise moving to the university area!

There are some less than desirable areas here but nothing that I'd call a 'slum'.
Just homeless or disfranchised or druggies or other labels of that type.

I know nothing about the job market here (long retired) but I don't think it's great----- but then that's probably true everywhere.

I do feel that the food here is very over-priced. I noticed that right away so it isn't just because prices have gone up everywhere. Same with restaurants, of which there are very few 'good' ones excepting some fine ones with commiserate fine prices. Food tends to be bland here, for the most part, for most places.

I hope I haven't been too negative----- because this really is a nice town/small city. There really aren't 'suburbs' here---- you get to rural real fast when you leave downtown.

The weather (lots of drizzle) might take some getting used to---- but that also isn't as bad as it sounds. Temperate is the word for the weather. Better than Baltimore. (I lived there very briefly a LONG time ago)

Old 10-26-2011, 12:48 PM

31 posts, read 58,579 times
Default Renting vs. Buying

You're right. Eugene is a more affordable place than Baltimore. :-) It's a beautiful area as well. There are four police departments here: Eugene Police, Springfield Police, Lane County Sheriffs Dept, Oregon State Police. Lots to choose from!

Home prices have been going down here and are extremely low. Rentals however are not going down. I think it's due to supply and demand. (isn't that how it works for about everything?) Many homes are still being foreclosed on and people have to live somewhere, so they rent. There are homes in the Eugene/Springfield area that are decent places for under 150K. 3.5% down for an FHA loan will get you into something like this. USDA loans are zero down but it would have to be something outside the city limits which is possible! Interest rates are still so low as well. In many cases, your house payment would be lower than your rent payment.

Let me know if I can help you in any way. I'm a licensed Realtor in Oregon. :-)

Old 10-30-2011, 07:43 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Eugene can be a nice place to live. Just keep in mind that winters will be long and gray, and wet. You won't get much snow. It all depends on your perspective. You won't get as much snow as back east, but you may get less sunlight.

I strongly recommend you have a job lined up before you decide to move out here. The market is pretty tough and a lot of jobs (big surprise) are filled by word of mouth. If you are an "outsider" it may be a challenge to find a job. I would hate for you to move here and find that out.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:24 AM

247 posts, read 745,233 times
I am also from Maryland, we moved to the Rogue Valley in the spring. Love it here, the accessibility of hitting the mountains to camp and road bike routes is incredible.

But Zitsky is correct, jobs here are very hard to come by. I was lucky and was hired to fill a position and they moved me here. If you can find something before heading west you will be in a much better position when you arrive.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:01 AM

248 posts, read 452,160 times
I completely agree with the above posters about having a job lined up before moving to Eugene. I had a client who wanted to work for the Eugene police department. He had the right degrees, years of experience from another city in Oregon and he's a duck which really does matter in this town. He had to find a day job and spent three years volunteering with the EPD so that he could get his foot in the door. One thing to consider is that the University is often hiring for their police force and that would get you to Eugene.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:
and he's a duck
To clarify, he is a University of Oregon alumni.

Which is a step down from being a Beaver, which is an Oregon State University alumni.

Even though the Ducks play better football.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area