Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 02:55 PM

36 posts, read 66,437 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: discussing moderation

I am a returned Coast Guard member preparing to relocate back to Oregon, specifically to the areas of Eugene/Springfield, Roseburg area.

I would like to receive some opinions from other retired Coast Guard members who may be living in the area regarding quality of life, weather, cost of living, cost of homes, good and bad areas for home purchase, etc.

As I will more than likely be purchasing a home long distance I am looking for someone who is close to those areas who would be willing to take a cursory look at property that I am considering so that I have more than a real estate agents opinion to base decisions on.

Thanks for your help. Moderator cut: discussing moderation

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-02-2012 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Please read the Terms of Service. Discussing moderation is not permitted in the forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
It might be more helpful to you if you were to rent at first while you look for places yourself with a real estate agent who knows the area. No one will know better than you whether or not a property will be right for you or meet your needs and expectations.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:59 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
There was a young man I was a part of his life and may have been the reason he joined the Coast Guard after I moved him and his family to Coos Bay back in 1980, who had to make the same decision. He chose Florida even though he lived as a child in Coos Bay and was stationed there for several years. He found the most benefit in living in Florida. He was Master Chief under "The Master Chief of the Coast Guard" at the Pentagon until his retirement a few years ago, so he had the opportunity to chose the best life for a retired Coastie. Neither he or his wife thought the Oregon Coast was a good choice. I'll never understand why. It is a great place to live if you have an independent income not relying on a local job.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
There was a young man I was a part of his life and may have been the reason he joined the Coast Guard after I moved him and his family to Coos Bay back in 1980, who had to make the same decision. He chose Florida even though he lived as a child in Coos Bay and was stationed there for several years. He found the most benefit in living in Florida. He was Master Chief under "The Master Chief of the Coast Guard" at the Pentagon until his retirement a few years ago, so he had the opportunity to chose the best life for a retired Coastie. Neither he or his wife thought the Oregon Coast was a good choice. I'll never understand why. It is a great place to live if you have an independent income not relying on a local job.
I can certainly understand his decision Steve. I retired from the Coast Guard 21 years ago, while stationed in North Bend, Oregon. I served all of my 20+ years in the PACNW, including Alaska. After that much time there I felt it was time to relocate away from the PACNW and took a job in New Mexico. For 15 years I felt it was the best thing for my family and myself. And it was. But once a PACNWer, always a PACNWer. And once a Coastie always a Coastie. We almost always come back home.

Now that I am approaching that time in my life where I no longer have to work for a living, I long for what the Oregon coast has to offer. I can now come back home and enjoy it all without the stresses associated with ensuring that I make enough money to raise my family. Mission accomplished.....now it is time for the Mrs and I to enjoy the State that we love.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:37 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Do you happen to know Master Chief Weir?

Old 03-25-2014, 04:37 PM

The name is very familiar, but having retired 20 years ago my memory fails on names at times. I remember the folks that **** me off forever, but often forget those that I worked with. If he was a PACNW Coastie I am confident we worked together at some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area