Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 AM

13 posts, read 21,668 times

Advertisements

Hi All

My family and I are strongly considering relocating to Eugene. The information I have been able to find online seems like it would be a fit for us but I wanted to talk to people that actually know the area before we make a final decision. We would not be moving until June of next year and we plan to visit in December of this year.
We are from the DC Metro Area.

I have a family of 5- myself, I work from home and also love dance, teaching dance, hiking, kayaking, etc. My husband is getting ready to graduate with a degree in mortuary science and will be seeking an apprenticeship in a Funeral Home wherever we relocate, My 8 year old son is a competitive gymnast and likes to be outside and snowboard, and my 1 year twins don't do much of anything yet so they'll just have to adjust We also have 2 dogs.

Overall we are pretty laid back and liberal family, seeking good education with options for our kids (learning options that is immersion, classical, montessori etc.). Seeking a forever home, planning on staying wherever we pack up and move to.

Appreciate any insight or advice you can provide. Also if there is anything we should do in December to give us a better feel of what it would be like to live there, that would be appreciated too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I am not really familiar as a resident only as a visitor but I was browsing the forum and found this so maybe it will help. It's very recent.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/29758783-post16.html

Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,447 times
I agree with everything in that link except for rent. Eugene is an expensive place to get a home (college town). You have to be pretty choosy with neighborhoods too because there are several variables at play. For instance, north Eugene..cheaper but more crime and sketchy neighborhoods. Close to train tracks as well. Downtown/campus area - well here you are dealing with students (parties) and homeless folks. Lots of folks complain of noise, students and homeless folks squatting in vacant homes. Its expensive to live here too. The south hills area is probably the best area. A decent home with 4br that takes pets for rent runs around $2000/mo just to give you an example. You can find a fairly decent house with 4br between $300-$400k easily

Old 06-05-2013, 11:59 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Get the job first. Dance studios come and go. The funeral industry in Eugene is a multi family monopoly that has family issues, and I have personal knowledge that there is not much likelyhood of finding employment in the field.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:24 PM

13 posts, read 21,668 times
I have a job as a recruiter working from home, dance is just an extra curricular. I can work from anywhere in the US. So I already have the job. The funeral industry in Eugene is actually really open with apprenticeships that turn into jobs so I am not worried about that either.
We also will be looking to buy a home, not rent one.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Please pay close attention to the local history of the family owned homes before accepting a position. Talk with others who have done so in the past. There is a reason for the openings.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:17 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,447 times
Sounds like youre good to go then! Good luck!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
I lived in Eugene for 2 years and loved it. HOWEVER, expect to put up with some bad winter weather. You may not see the sun for weeks at a time. I hope you can get used to that. Plus there is all the rain. You have to force yourself to be active and go outside no matter what the weather is.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM

Compared to DC the weather is great. Tornados and Hurricanes are almost non existent, and the winters are mild.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 PM

25 posts, read 74,556 times
I think you would like it here-it is definitely laid back and liberal,there are at least 10 funeral homes you could do your apprenticeship?at,there is a great gymnastics academy,three immersion schools,and at least one Montessori school that I know of.There are great places to ski,etc.,within a couple hours drive,in the higher elevations,but it doesn't snow much in the valley itself.I am most familiar with the Harlow Rd area-rent for a house is about $1500,in that neighborhood.There is quite a bit of culture here for a small town,but not exactly a thriving economy!

Last edited by sheldongirl; 06-10-2013 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Additional information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area