Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 AM

19 posts, read 36,585 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving from tennessee to Oregon this summer, but we are indecisive as to which town we would like to live in. I had originally considered Eugene/Springfield, but now I'm considering a move to Oakridge.. I just have a few questions.

1. Is Oakridge rebuilding itself?
Is the town improving/growing? More shops/stores, population growth, better homes, etc..

2. Is the town welcoming to outsiders?
Will we be rejected, or welcomed into the community? What are the people like, in general?

3. Is this a good place to raise kids?
I have a 7 year old and a 9 year old. Both boys. Are the schools decent? Are the other children friendly and well behaved? (for the most part - I want my kids to make friends without having to constantly worry about bad influences or bullying.)

4. Is the town liberal, conservative, or a mix of both?
I would like to live in a community with people who are generally open minded and nonjudgemental.

5. Is the drive to Eugene easy?

6. Is Oakridge a very boring place for a young family?

Any input will be appreciated! We are a family of 4 and we want to live in a community where we can make friends and enjoy nature. However, we also need the essential conveniences of grocery stores, post offices, entertainment, etc.. I work from home, so finding a job for myself isn't an issue. My "significant other" will most likely need a job once we move, though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 12:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
1. That's what they say. Some of them are trying to turn it into a mountain biking mecca. Personally, I don't think they'll make it. It could be a decent place to bike and enjoy other outdoor recreational activities, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's never going to be another Moab.

2. Yes.

3. Depends. If you're active, involved parents, you can overcome the shortcomings of the school and certain factions of the community.

4. Mix of both.

5. Depends. It's easy on a lazy summer day and not so much during black ice season.

6. I don't know what bores you and what doesn't.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-27-2014 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,454 times
Oakridge (or Westfir) is at elevation, so yes, travel into Eugene can be icy. And options for spouse work may be limited out in Oakridge, and I wouldn't recommend trying to commute from there.

Are you looking out there because of budget? I can't recall the other thread. Curious if you've already ruled out Creswell/CottageGrove/JnctCity.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:31 PM

There are plenty of people who commute from Oakridge for work purposes, but personally, I'd never do it. There's also a bus called the Diamond Express that goes back and forth from Eugene/Springfield. I think it costs five bucks for a round trip.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:09 PM

19 posts, read 36,585 times
Thanks Metlakatla. Your very helpful!

Yes, bler, I'm mainly looking out there because of budget. No, I haven't ruled out any of the other cities/towns yet. I'm just trying to do as much research as possible right now, so any input/opinions are helpful.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,017,223 times
About 50 miles each way to Eugene. Beautiful drive, but I would think it could become tiresome quickly if done daily. Could be icy in the winter as well. Have you looked into Lowell. It's only about 20 miles out from Eugene (along the same road-Hwy 58), and if you're looking for grocery stores and entertainment, it's far easier to drive into Eugene, as Oakridge doesn't have much to offer in those categories. In Lowell, you're surrounded by beautiful nature as well, including three bodies of water (Dexter Reservoir, Lookout Point Reservoir, and Fall Creek Lake).

Oakridge may be trying to rebuild itself, but I just don't see it happening. It's a great launching point to recreational activities, but I wouldn't want to live their permanently. It's just too isolated for my tastes. I can't really answer your other questions, but other posters probably can.

Last edited by ditchlights; 08-27-2014 at 08:03 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 10:20 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,454 times
I thought of Lowell as well, though I have no idea what property runs there.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:48 AM

Lowell is significantly more expensive.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:29 PM

479 posts, read 801,294 times
I only come to Oakridge to mountain bike so I can't say what it's like to actually live there but it sure seems depressing overall. The variety of shops and restuarants, even compared to other similar cities, is abysmal. That being said, I would have LOVED to have grown up there... having access to all those woods and rivers.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:10 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
I have been going to Oakridge since 1963. I don't recall it ever being anything other than depressing. At one time there were a lot of jobs, but alcohol was a common self medication among the teens I grew up with. Actually I have been going to Oakridge longer than 1963, but I was fairly young. My dad used to be restaurant partners with the Weddle's and Leyton's. But I don't remember the 1940's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area