Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:23 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

No, as I stated in my post, I wasn't necessarily thinking about a place where it could be smoked or sold -- too much liability there -- but rather as a place where people could go after the fact. As far as sweet edibles, that's just not a good idea. Someone's kid will get ahold of that stuff and there you are in court.

As I said, the real money's going to be to catering to the secondary needs of those who indulge in cannabis tourism. Let someone else provide it to them. Munchy cafes and whatever would be gimmicky, but gimmicky can work pretty well if it's done right, especially if it were part of a "cannabis tour" package. I'd actually steer clear of the word "munchy," though. It's such as silly little word.

I never go anywhere near Jack in the Box, but fast food is fast food, and the airways are already full of crap advertising no matter what the angle. The Kia commercials alone are enough to advocate silence.

There are also a few private hotel type deals in Colorado that are doing quite well with a 420-friendly slant, but the laws are going to vary from state to state. I have no idea of what they would be here and don't really care enough to research it; anyone interested in capitalizing on cannabis tourism should do so themselves. I think that a privately owned bed-and-breakfast where people could indulge would legally fly in Oregon, though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-29-2014 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 05:06 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Those ads all by themselves are a good reason to vote no to legalization. The airways are going to be full of that sort of ad after MJ is legalized.
I'd much prefer munchie ads to the current barrage of political ads.

Sure Jack in the Box is selling me junk based on trite jingles and one-liners, but at least they don't require me to sign on for a 6 year relationship with them!

Old 09-29-2014, 05:46 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Why would cannabis tourists go to Eugene??

Where would they come from? Not Washington. Not from Idaho and places east. All the way from California where pot is readily available?

Old 09-29-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Why would cannabis tourists go to Eugene??

Where would they come from? Not Washington. Not from Idaho and places east. All the way from California where pot is readily available?
Cannabis tourism is a big thing in CO right now, so I suppose people would visit Eugene for the same reasons they visit Denver for it. They come from all over the world. Personally, I'm not entirely sure why they do it -- but they do. From what I understand, they aren't the stereotypical "stoners" that some keep trying to associate with recreations cannabis use but rather professional people with a certain amount of discretionary income who enjoy traveling for leisure on a regular basis. Something like that might also attract a lot of locals if it was done tastefully as well as a certain amount of students.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-29-2014 at 06:15 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 07:06 PM

13 posts, read 17,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I see a lot of food amateurs in Eugene -- people with terrific culinary skills -- and some that aren't so great -- who nonetheless don't know how to run a business. There are also some excellent, well-established places that have been loved by locals for years. personally, I think the market for new food businesses is pretty much at its saturation point in Eugene, which is why I suggest purchasing an existing business rather than starting a new one.

You could also think about this -- do some research on cannabis tourism and see what's worked in Colorado so far. On of the difficulties there was that although there were plenty of places to buy it, there weren't many places where tourists could legally smoke it. Most hotels etc. chose not to allow smoking of any kind, so entrepreneurs who chose to fulfill that particular need have done pretty well there.

It's likely that recreational cannabis use will become legal here soon; and smart business people will be prepared for that. Forget about opening a weed store to sell it -- cater to the secondary needs of smokers - something like a "munchy cafe" that has the kind of stuff that smokers like to eat when being stoned makes them hungry. Consider doing cannabis tours, or opening a 420-friendly bed-and-breakfast (depending on local laws -- it may be impossible to provide a place to smoke outside of private property -- that's for anyone interested to research). Cannabis tourism is going pretty well in Colorado; it may become a thing here as well.

Anyway, there are already a couple of threads debating whether the evil weed will be legalized in Oregon; I'd prefer that those remarks remain in their appropriate threads.
Now that is an interesting idea. I saw on the Internet how someone I believe in Colorado was selling weed laced goodies out of a vending machine. there are definately people making big money out of it in Colorado. As for california it been legal for some time now, but to be quite honest the only people running the "cannabis collective shops" are gang members. No you definately wouldn't want to actually sell the stuff, it would bring you all sorts of problems.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:04 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Interesting comment on smoking. It is illegal in public places in Oregon.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Interesting comment on smoking. It is illegal in public places in Oregon.
No one said that it wasn't.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
No one said that it wasn't.
Yes they did. They suggested a restaurant with pot smoking. The no smoking rule in Oregon includes all smokables including dope and hopefully soon e-cigs.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Yes they did. They suggested a restaurant with pot smoking. The no smoking rule in Oregon includes all smokables including dope and hopefully soon e-cigs.
I don't think so. Again, the restaurant not suggested as a place to smoke but rather as a place to go after the fact.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. Again, the restaurant not suggested as a place to smoke but rather as a place to go after the fact.
Go back and reread the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area