Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 09:28 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,065 times

Advertisements

I do not have much $$
I basically need to furnish my home.
Living room
Master bedroom

I have looked at Eugene's craigslist... and I have to really wonder what gives.... The garbage that people are trying to sell is amazing.... stuff is riped, worn, stained.... and they want good $$ for this TRASH (look for yourself) 90% of the stuff is TRASH.... how do you find good used furniture??
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:55 AM

22 posts, read 69,709 times
Try some of the numerous thrift stores in town like goodwill, St. Vincent DePaul, etc. Sounds crazy, but sometimes they have great quality stuff for cheap!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:29 AM

480 posts, read 2,465,471 times
In Bend we have two consignment furniture stores that have great used furniture. Looks like a similar store is now in Junction City called New to You:

NEW2YOU - Home

Old 05-27-2008, 11:29 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
That, and shop garage and estate sales. Often a senior moving to a retirement community has dated, but good condition, furniture.

The ratty stuff you are seeing has been used/abused by college students. If the seller is under 25, don't bother to look.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:51 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Have you tried Eugene Freecycle?
I believe you have to offer something before you can post something that you want, but Freecycle is amazing. I have given away tons of furniture and other household things with that.

Also - St. Vinnie's over off of River Road by Fred Meyer has some decent furniture, and there are other thrift stores on River Road that have furniture. There's a Value Village in Springfield but they are usually better for clothes than household things. There's a Goodwill right where N. Delta hwy and Beltline meet in the North Eugene area.

Check freecycle though - that might be your best bet!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:56 PM

Oh - and this sounds horrible... but check Apartment community dumpsters. Tenants dump things all the time and also when people move out they seem to set things out by the dumpster... drive through neighborhoods on bulk trash pick up day and find a couch!

There's also BRING - you might be able to find something there.

If you are low-income you might be able to qualify for assistance by calling the city and having them direct you to places that offer help.

Also - if you're creative, you could make your own stuff! We made a captains bed out of old scratched up (ugly) bookshelves and an old metal twin bed. The bed frame was busted so we had to duct tape it together. We assembled it all, stuck it in a corner nook, added some nice bedding and a simple bed skirt to covere what was underneath (which is used for storage), and used a shower curtain rod to hang elegant curtains and now it's more than just a bed - it looks like a sweet little escape to dream in... use your imagination!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 AM

351 posts, read 1,283,065 times
Thanks all.
I went to new2you when it 1st opened it is a nice little consignment store
I purchased 2 swivel bar stools there with backs at a good price and they cleaned up nicely.

I have been to St Vincents that is on Secca in Eugene, and they did not have anything that struck me (furniture wise), I will try the one on River Road... and while there I will look for other shops.

any other ideas, please post.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:54 PM

I saw a lot of furniture out this past weekend as people were having garage sales. Sometimes when things don't sell at garage sales, they will set it out front with a "free" sign or they will list the things on freecycle or craigslist. This seems to be a good time to go on a furniture hunt!

Also - people are moving a lot this time of year... it would be a good time to start keeping an eye out for furniture dumped by the dumpters at apartment communities or set out by the curb. We saw a TV yesterday, as well as a couch and two lamps and a grill. It's crazy what people throw away, and we don't even live near the university. Night would probably be the best time to go hunt as many people don't want to be seen dumping their stuff, so they wait until they can do it under the cover of darkness...

There is a Goodwill on Green Acres road near the intersection f Beltine hwy and North Delta hwy. They always have furniture and lots of stuff there, it's a pretty large store and because it is new it feels a bit cleaner than other thrift stores.

There is also a Value Village in Springfield but in my experience they are better for clothes than they are for furniture - but you never know...

I bet next weekend there will be some more garage sales like there were this past weekend. Check the paper and Craigslist!

Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 13,427 times
I will be moving to Eugene in 5 months and will open "Warehouse Furniture Outet" and Consignment Store. I hope to bring a Used furniture store that will have just about what anyone needs at prices that can meet any budget. I will also do consignment sales and ebay sales to. I had a 7000 sq. ft store here in Wisconsin and did well. I am also looking for an investor or partner. This is a buisness that has no ceiling and it takes several good people to see the big money. Plus, its fun if you like shopping at garage sales, estate sales, auctions, flea markets, and earning good money helping peaple save money. This business has a high repete business rate and operates on a low overhead. The buisiness has other income produceing angles, I.E. Ebay Sales, Consignment Sales, antuqe sales and more. I am just a regular guy that brings a lot to the table. Please email me if you have any suggestions, questions, or comments on that.. Tim livingfree101@yahoo.com

Last edited by livingfree101; 11-17-2008 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: more information

Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 PM

If anyone is still looking for inexpensive furniture, I've found a lot of good pieces recently on craigslist: eugene furniture - all classifieds - craigslist I think maybe this time of year, people like to "upgrade" their homes a little bit, preparing for company and special holiday parties and whatnot.

LivingFree - good luck and let me know when you get set up - I'll come check your store out. We are in the process of trying to phase out our IKEA stuff for nicer, higher quality stuff. There's a place in Corvallis that makes really beautiful oak furniture, but it's kind of expensive. I was so excited to find some of their pieces on craigslist the other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area