Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 25,377 times

Advertisements

We are retired and would like to relocate to Sweet Home, OR. I am worried about the amount of snow. All the weather data show snow only every couple of years, and only inches at that. What is the truth? I can't live in the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 02:03 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Yes, that's the truth. Snow levels are going to be much like Portland. It's too low to get a lot of snow unless the snow level is down at the 1000 feet or less mark, which has been happening a lot more the past few years. Now, if you lived up in the hills around the town that's a different story. Also you need to worry about the ice more then the snow. Snow in the Willamette Valley is usually gone within 48 hours, ice happens multiple times due to low lying fog and misting rains covering all the surfaces.

It's a nice town, I wouldn't mind living there if I had a job there.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Thanks. I was actually looking at the hills around town. Good to know. I thought the hills, being a higher elevation, would probably get more snow.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 PM

11,270 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Snow is not too bad. Similar to the rest of the Willammette Valley area. There is a small climb in elevation on the way there from the I-5 just before town that may accumulate more snow, but not bad. Just out of curiosity, where are you retiring from? And better yet, why Sweet Home? No offense intended, but it is the most backwards place in Oregon I've ever been. Quite similar to West Virginia in many ways.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:28 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Snow is not too bad. Similar to the rest of the Willammette Valley area. There is a small climb in elevation on the way there from the I-5 just before town that may accumulate more snow, but not bad. Just out of curiosity, where are you retiring from? And better yet, why Sweet Home? No offense intended, but it is the most backwards place in Oregon I've ever been. Quite similar to West Virginia in many ways.

Nice one! LOL

Making friends in Sweet Home and the entire state of West Virginia all in one post.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 PM

We are from a small, backward town in Southern California. Yes, they do exist here. We are tired of over-taxed, over-regulated, over-priced living. Tired of brown landscape. Tired of drought. We want to return to trees and lakes with good fishing. Can't find good fishing here. It's more like an expensive parking lot.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 PM

11,270 posts, read 11,028,294 times
In all seriousness, Sweet Home does have very pretty scenery with good fishing at the nearby resevoir. I used to run a service route out there and I always loved the stretch along the Calapooia River. As with many areas of Oregon these days, Sweet Home has a fairly rampant problem with methamphetamines. The police are working hard to clean that up, though. Good luck on your future relocation. There are plenty of trees and fishing in your future.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:21 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Lots of good swimming holes along that stretch of the Calipooia, too! Or, there was when I was a kid 40+ years ago...I hope for today's kids there still are.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,471 times
speaking as a migrated Californian with a college education who has lived in Sweet Home for close to 40 years and worked for a high tech company for 30 years, wanted to give you a different perspective from "ditchlights". We have pretty moderate winters (usually lows in 30's and 40's ) with snow usually coming (3-4" in one day) once or twice a year. swimming holes abound with only locals knowing where they are and nature is literally in your back yard. If you love traffic, concerned with keeping up with the latest fashions, don't know how to act without smog choking you and can't live without nightlife, you won't like it in Sweet Home. As far as backwards, keep perpetuating that rumor for us, will ya?....it helps keep this beautiful little Mayberry place I live in a secret .......

Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,641 times
I live in a small southern California town also and totally agree with you. I was born here and hate it. I just retired and also looking for a quiet pretty haven of a place to live. I'm so tired of being run off the road or being flipped off. I could handle living in a backward place real easily, Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area