Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 01:23 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
People in the South are indeed more gregarious, and they have a more aggressive way of talking, people keep interrupting each other all the time. So when someone wants to finish their sentence they often try to speak louder than the one interrupting them. And it adds up...
Yep, you've got it! Add to that the tiled floors and walls that bounce the noise around and you have a problem.

Quote:
It still surprises me how many people here can speak and at the same time listen to others speaking for half a minute or so, I don't manage that kind of multitasking, yet
You know, I don't think they ARE listening.

Quote:
Northerners only get this loud when drunk, which however is even more annoying. I prefer loud, more or less sober Iberians to loud drunk Germans or Dutch or Brits
I can't take 'loud' people. I suffer from Hyperacusis and loud noises can be quite painful. I have noticed during my travels around Spain that Valencians are particularly noisy. Much more than people in other parts of Spain. It's the dogs that get me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 01:32 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
I do think they are listening as well. I noticed it during heated discussion for instance on TV when people are speaking and all of a sudden they pick up what someone else was saying while they themselves were speaking. I can only do that for a few seconds, maybe 3 seconds, then it gets too much for me.
I noticed the same phenomenon with Arabs years ago. My Arab girlfriend back then was kind of surprised I was so sequential

I don't like noise, either. But not like you to the extent of Hyperacusis. In that respect Spain is definitely the wrong place to be But still better than India

Old 06-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I don't like noise, either. But not like you to the extent of Hyperacusis. In that respect Spain is definitely the wrong place to be But still better than India
Well I'm seriously considering a move. Is there a big dog population in Portugal? Problem is, I can't blot them out or get used to them. I live in a rural area at the moment and a dog barking a mile away will sound, to me, as if it's just outside the window. Portugal might be a move to consider.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well I'm seriously considering a move. Is there a big dog population in Portugal? Problem is, I can't blot them out or get used to them. I live in a rural area at the moment and a dog barking a mile away will sound, to me, as if it's just outside the window. Portugal might be a move to consider.
Maybe your location is the problem. There tend to be many more dogs in rural areas than in cities, same here in Portugal. Maybe it would be better to move to a quiet part of a city, maybe on one of the upper floors of a well-maintained high-rise. When looking for apartments, also check the neighborhood for any bars, clubs, or discos. Possibly visit the apartment/area during the night before signing any contract. Or look for blocks where there are many elderly people.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Maybe your location is the problem. There tend to be many more dogs in rural areas than in cities, same here in Portugal. Maybe it would be better to move to a quiet part of a city, maybe on one of the upper floors of a well-maintained high-rise. When looking for apartments, also check the neighborhood for any bars, clubs, or discos. Possibly visit the apartment/area during the night before signing any contract. Or look for blocks where there are many elderly people.
Yes, I'm getting to the age when I should be considering an apartment in town. Too much land to maintain here. But as they say....

'It doesn't matter where you go to live, before long, some bastard will come along and spoil it.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe