Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 AM

39 posts, read 163,473 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm moving soon to live in Heilbronn, Germany. I'm going to study there.

Would you please tell me more about the city.

How is the the crime rate? Is it dangerous to live on the first floor for example?

How much do you think one person will be spending on food monthly?

What about accommodation? Would please suggest me some sites (could be in German too) where I can find nice apartments or rooms to rent.

Also some sites for a job search. Do you think a foreigner could find a job there without knowing German?

Also what's the deal with Künzelsau. I see a lot of rental accomodations offered there for Heilbronn students. I saw it on the map and looks really far away. Is there a train or better transportation?! I don't understand...

Thank you for your replies! Much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 10:02 AM

633 posts, read 1,735,035 times
Crime rate in Heilbronn.... :-) :-) :-) you dont have any crime, compared to big us cities in germany!

So you can live whereever you want ( nearly everywhere ) and you are safe.

The best web adress for finding rentals in germany is www.immobilienscout24.de .

Getting a job without any german is very difficult. I recommend then moving to Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich or another big international city. Wiesbaden for example ( close to Frankfurt ) has good job opportinities for americans, because Wiesbaden becomes the next American Army Headquater in Europe. But rents in Wiesbaden are expensive.

Good luck for your jobsearch.

What do you want to work in germany?

Melanie / Germany

Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times
Hi,

Congratulations, sounds like a nice plan.

Don't worry, crime is nothing to worry about in any German city of this size (in my opinion). The city has about 120.000 residents and looks very nice, even I have not been there yet.

The food expenses depend on your preferences, the food in the university dining hall (called mensa) is used to be very cheap for enrolled students, you could easily get a lunch for about 4 €. The supermarket prices for larger chains or discount supermarkets like Aldi or Lidl are comparable to Wal-Mart and other US chains.

The Künzelsau thing might be a little bit confusing. The University of Heilbronn has a Campus in Künzelsau, so I guess the offers you read are meant for this Künzelsau Campus students. However te distance between the two cities is about 50 km /30 miles and there should be a train.

If you want to work without knowing German, there could be some problems. You should look for larger companies with international relations, or you may for example work at the university if there are any job offers. However I don't know whether you will need a working permit or not.

Some links:
HNV - Heilbronner · Hohenloher · Haller Nahverkehr (transportation)
Immobilien, Wohnungen und Häuser bei ImmobilienScout24 mieten, kaufen, inserieren (accomodation)

Have a nice trip.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM

And if you are student, the Roommate (?) offers are maybe also interessting for you. You will find lots of cheap rooms in apartment sharing communities at www.wg-gesucht.de (for example). There are rooms available from 200 to 350 Euro! per month....

Melanie

Old 02-16-2011, 06:25 PM

Thank you very much for the information and for all the links!

In regards to the work I will be looking for a job suitable for a student.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:42 PM

Hello all

How are you?

I'm in Heilbronn now I've just spent one semester @ the Hochschule here.

I really like the city and I met some great colleagues. But...I need to move because I cannot learn any German here The German classes in the uni were really bad and the ones in the Volkshochshule really slow(

Now, I'm moving to a different university and city to study only German for a year. My options are Essen, Gießen, Paderborn and
Saarbrücken.

I will be very happy to hear your opinions about these cities and the life there. Did hear anything about their German courses...what about their uni-s...work opportunities for a foreigner...people...how expensive is the life in there...climate...crime and so on...every opinion is appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:37 AM

All cities are better than Saarbrücken!!!!

Want to add, that you do not have crime compared to the US in Germany. There are some areas in Berlin or Frankfurt where you better not walk in the late evenings, but all other cities in germany are quiet "crimeless".

The only crime in germany is the FINANZAMT ( IRS)

Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post
All cities are better than Saarbrücken!!!!

Want to add, that you do not have crime compared to the US in Germany. There are some areas in Berlin or Frankfurt where you better not walk in the late evenings, but all other cities in germany are quiet "crimeless".

The only crime in germany is the FINANZAMT ( IRS)

Is Saarbrücken so bad?

I don't know... it's a hard decision... I've got accepted in all of them...now is a question of course quality(which I cannot estimate it), money and accommodation...

I will appreciate all opinions

BTW where are these areas in Berlin and Frankfurt. I would like to know them

Thank you in advance Melanie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe