Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where does Eastern Europe begin?
Czech Republic 27 19.29%
Slovakia 16 11.43%
Poland 49 35.00%
eastern Germany 16 11.43%
Other? 32 22.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
What do you mean? My explanation is right there in my post.
Not really. Africa is "South of Europe". And as you can see, the other map has them in a different category, which actually fits, imo.

And who would say they are in Northern Europe? I don't think most people would. They would say Eastern Europe. Especially since they certainly were even more so ( eastern ) before 1990. To me, they are just to the east of Europe's core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 08:37 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Not really. Africa is "South of Europe".
You know what I meant

Quote:
And as you can see, the other map has them in a different category, which actually fits, imo.
Yes, which is exactly my point. I was trying to show you that it's not easy to define Europe in terms of "North/South" or "West/East" because different criteria will lead to different answers. Going by your simplistic definition, the Balkans are South-Europe because they are in the southern part of Europe. However, most people would use a more specific category to classify the Balkan region, namely South-East Europe. This is what the other map showed, and this is exactly what I said as well ("I would classify the Balkans as South-Eastern Europe btw."). However, strictly along North/South lines, the Balkans would fall in the "South" category.

Quote:
And who would say they are in Northern Europe? I don't think most people would. They would say Eastern Europe. Especially since they certainly were even more so ( eastern ) before 1990. To me, they are just to the east of Europe's core.
Again, it depends on the type of classification that is used. If Europe is simply divided into "West" and "East", then the Baltic states would indeed be considered East-European. However, if you'd use more specific categories (North, South, West, East) then the Baltic states are typically considered "North-European" along with the Nordic countries. This isn't just due to geographical location but due to the cultural connection (mainly to Finland) as well. I didn't say it was wrong to classify the Baltics as East-European, I just said I could understand why they would choose North-European instead. It makes sense if you look into it. Read Erasure's post on the previous page as well, he seems to agree with me that the Baltics are more Northern than Eastern (and he is Russian so he should know ).

Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
eastern europe begins where german and italian language stop. If they speak hungarian or a slavic language, you're in eastern europe. The line would follow the eastern border of finland, germany, austria, italy.
this^^^

Old 12-05-2011, 11:15 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
If you see suspicious communist activity, then REPORT to your local authorities!!!

Remember, citizens, Eastern Europe begins at home!

Best,
The Department of Defense and Lawn Maintenance

Old 12-06-2011, 03:05 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
And Serbia uses both Cyrillic and Latin; is both Catholic and Orthodox (but the bigger group); has had part of it under Austria. I think it is more Eastern due to the mentality as well??? I often wondered about that as well....
I know Croatia is a largely Catholic country but geographically is it way too far east to be considered central or western.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:12 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
What year is it? Hint: it's not 1990 anymore.

And what kind of question is this? Poland is right above the Czech Republic. Who would consider Poland Eastern Europe but not the Czech Republic ? I don't think I would. It's either both or none.., imo. Better options would have been "East of Germany" or "East of Poland". They are all to the east of Germany, and Poland has the most eastern border. I would use geography to classify this.. looks like you did not. Otherwise, you would not have chosen those countries. Correct? Eastern Europe is the eastern part of Europe. Because it's in the east.

File:Europe subregion map UN geoschme.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't agree with this definition, though. The Balkan countries isn't what I would call "Southern Europe". And the blue countries between Russia and Poland isn't exactly what I would call "Northern Europe". Also, I would not call the U.K. or Ireland Northern Europe..
I personally would consider Poland to be eastern, and the UK, Ireland, and Germany to be western, along with Italy, Spain, and Portugal. I would define Southern Europe as Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Greece with obviously a lot of overlap. I would put the former Yugoslavia including Kosovo in Eastern Europe, along with Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary. My definition of Central Europe would include just Austria really and maybe the Czech Republic. Germany can be central or Western, I think Switzerland is more western. Witth the breakup of Czechoslovakia that places the Czech Republic next to Germany and Austria which they have open borders with, but Slovakia is next to Ukraine.

I'm not sure if the Caucasus are really in Europe or the Middle East.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I personally would consider Poland to be eastern, and the UK, Ireland, and Germany to be western, along with Italy, Spain, and Portugal. I would define Southern Europe as Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Greece with obviously a lot of overlap. I would put the former including Kosovo in Eastern Europe, along with Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary. My definition of Central Europe would include just Austria really and maybe the Czech Republic. Germany can be central or Western, I think Switzerland is more western. Witth the breakup of Czechoslovakia that places the Czech Republic next to Germany and Austria which they have open borders with, but Slovakia is next to Ukraine.

I'm not sure if the Caucasus are really in Europe or the Middle East.
What region would you say the Nordic Countries, the Benelux, Andorra, Gibraltar, Monaco, Liechtenstein, San Marino, the Vatican, Malta, Albania, the Baltics, Belarus, Moldova, Cyprus and Western Russia are in?
or do you see them as provinces of other countries such as Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Romania, Turkey etc.?

Old 12-06-2011, 04:03 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Easy, the Urals

Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Easy, the Urals
The Ural Mountains is the "border" between European Russia (Western) and Asian Russia (Eastern)...

Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I met a Polish girl the other day and she was VERY firm that Poland is not Eastern Europe haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe