Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where does Eastern Europe begin?
Czech Republic 27 19.29%
Slovakia 16 11.43%
Poland 49 35.00%
eastern Germany 16 11.43%
Other? 32 22.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 05:51 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times

Advertisements

Next poll?

Are Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia in...

-Western Europe
-Central Europe
-Eastern Europe

I just don't like the word Central combined with a continent.
It's West/East or North/South for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 05:51 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,244,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Then why tell me to go look at this map of Central Europe to support your point. I wasn't even talking about it.
Again, what are you talking about? Where did I tell you to look at a map of Central Europe?

Old 12-10-2011, 07:29 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times
Northern South America:
Everything (in the CONTINENT) North of...
Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Mato Grosso do Sul, Minas Gerais and Esporito Santo)

Southern South America:
Everything South of...
Peru, Bolivia, Mato Grosso, Goias and Bahia

-------

Western South America:
Everything West of...
Guyana, Para, Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sol,
Paraguay, Rio Grande do Sol, Uruguay

Eastern South America:
Everything East of...
Venezuela, Roraima, Amazonas, Rondonia, Bolivia, Argentina

------------------------------------------------------

Northern North America:
Everything North of Mexico

Southern North America:
Everything South of the US

-------

Western North America:
Everything West of...
Nuvanut, Manitoba, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri,
Arkansas, Louisiana, the Caribbean

Eastern North America:
Everything East of...
Northwest Territories, Saskatchewan, North Dakota, South Dakota,
Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas,
Mexico, Belize, Guatamala, El Salvador,
Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama

Northern Africa:
Everything North of...
Liberia, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Benin,
Southern Nigeria, Cameroon, CAR, South Sudan, Kenya

Southern Africa:
Everything South of...
Sierra Leone, Guinee, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger,
Northern Nigeria, Chad, Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia

Northern Asia
Everyting North of...
Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Kashmir, Tibet,
Sichuan, Chongqing, Hunan, Jiangxi, Fujian, Taiwan

Southern Asia:
Everything South of...
Turkey, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tadjikistan,
Xinjiang, Qinghai, Gansu, Shaanxi, Hubei, Anhui, Zhejiang

-------

Western Asia:
Everything West of...
China, Bhutan, Birma

Eastern Asia:
Everthing East of...
Kazachstan, Kyrgistan, Tadjikistan, India

Old 12-11-2011, 01:32 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Well off topic a little now with other continents but I think there definitely is a Central Asia which includes some of the former Soviet republics like Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, etc and maybe Afghanistan which can also be in the Middle East. I've heard Pakistan described as South Asian and Middle Eastern. I know culturally and religiously both Afghanistan and Pakistan are Middle Eastern but geographically they are at the edge.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 AM

355 posts, read 977,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Next poll?

Are Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia in...

-Western Europe
-Central Europe
-Eastern Europe

I just don't like the word Central combined with a continent.
It's West/East or North/South for me!
Culturally, I'd say we're Western European, although more influenced by our eastern neighbours than for example, Germany. I suppose "Central Europe" would be the best description, but you don't like that term. Maybe the German term "Mitteleuropa"?

On the other hand, it's all in the eye of the beholder. I see you're Dutch, I've lived in the Netherlands for quite an extensive period of time, and my impression is that the most "correct" term used in the Dutch papers (and even in politics there) is "Eastern Block" when referring to these five countries...

By the way, I noticed that you more or less followed geographical lines when dividing the other continents up, if you would apply the same to Europe, taking the 25th parallel of longtitude, as well as the 53rd parallel of latitude, (extreme points of Europe are more or less 10W, 60E, 35N and 71N) one would see the following definition:

Northern Europe: UK, Eire, Scandinavian countries, Denmark, Baltics, Belarus and Russia.

Southern Europe: Everything else.

Eastern Europe: Finland, Baltics, Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Caucasian states, Moldowa, Romania, Bulgaria, (Turkey, Cyprus - depending on whether one calls these two countries European or not)

Western Europe: Everything else.

Last edited by Proterra; 12-12-2011 at 09:22 AM..

Old 12-18-2011, 03:07 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
I think that Hungary and Poland are firmly in Eastern Europe along with the Baltic states, especially since the Baltics were not only behind the Iron Curtain they are further east AND they were actually officially part of the Soviet Union. I think of Budapest and Warsaw as clearly Eastern European cities and group them with Moscow, Kiev, and Bucharest rather than with Paris, London, Rome of any Western city. I do consider Prague and Vienna to be central European cities if there is a Central Europe, if ONLY east and west then Prague would be east and Vienna would be west despite the geographical locations. A case can be made for Berlin as an Eastern European city, as well as other places in the former East Germany.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:18 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
I'd say the Northwest side of Chicago.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:26 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Well off topic a little now with other continents but I think there definitely is a Central Asia which includes some of the former Soviet republics like Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan,
What else would you call them if not "Central Asia?"))))

Old 12-18-2011, 03:00 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Poland, for sure.

Czech Republic is now considered to be a developed nation with a life expectancy similar to the US

Old 12-18-2011, 06:24 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

Jtur

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT HISTORICAL, CULTURAL OR ECONOMICAL CONCEPTS......

I AM TALKING ABOUT WHAT COMMON PEOPLE UNDERSTAND NOWDAYS ABOUT EASTERN EUROPE. I AM AWARE THAT MANY COUNTRIES DO NOT LIKE TO BE CALLED EASTERN EUROPE SINCE HISTORICALLY THEY WERE CENTRAL EUROPE, THE BALCANS OR BALTIC STATES.

YES, DDR WAS EASTERN EUROPE (AND MANY GERMAN STILL CONSIDER THE AREA AS EAST GERMANY). YES, PRAGUE AND VIENNA WERE SWAPPED.

BUT EASTERN EUROPE IS STILL USED TO DESIGNATE THE AREA BY MOST PEOPLE.

I HAVE SEEN THAT MANY GUIDES AND PROGRAMS ARE USING "CENTRAL EUROPE" BECAUSE MANY WANT TO GET RID OF THE TAG PROVOKED BY RUSSIAN OCCUPATION AND COLD WAR.
CAPS ARE REALLY PERSUASIVE. THEY PERSUADE ME TO IGNORE POSTS USUALLY.

However, I won't.

Eastern Europe is still in use in a large part of the world to describe places that were formerly considered Central Europe up until the Cold War. However, the concept never completely died out in the meantime including among actual people living in those regions. It is not just a "marketing" tactic though that comes in play, too. Regardless, I don't see where you're getting your 90% or 99% statistic from. There are also plenty of people who switch between the terms depending on the conversation.

There's also the possibility that you're just a bit old-fashioned, but not old-fashioned enough. Central Europe was the preferred term for a very long time and not so long ago (there are still people alive from before the end of World War II and the redrawing of Europe's boundaries). It certainly lost a lot of clout during the Cold War, but there is now substantial evidence that the concept of Central Europe is becoming fairly popular again--some people have actually posted links to that while your 90%/99% seems to come out of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe