Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where does Eastern Europe begin?
Czech Republic 27 19.29%
Slovakia 16 11.43%
Poland 49 35.00%
eastern Germany 16 11.43%
Other? 32 22.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:41 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,042,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What else would you call them if not "Central Asia?"))))
Western Asia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 03:42 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,112,000 times
Central Europe was the preferred term for a very long time and not so long ago (there are still people alive from before the end of World War II and the redrawing of Europe's boundaries)....

-----
Certainly, and I bet there are people alive that still call it Austrohungarian Empire.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:44 AM

282 posts, read 962,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Certainly, and I bet there are people alive that still call it Austrohungarian Empire.
If they did, it would make much more sense than calling it "eastern europe".

Old 01-05-2012, 12:32 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
So would anyone still refer to Berlin as an Eastern European city? I wonder how much of the communist legacy is left in the former East Germany in terms of the Soviet style buildings and such. I know the Wall was right there and it was all part of the Warsaw Pact. I noticed some people did vote for eastern Germany as where Eastern Europe begins. Often Germany as a whole is referred to both as Central and Western.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:07 AM

355 posts, read 977,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Poland, for sure.

Czech Republic is now considered to be a developed nation with a life expectancy similar to the US
So is Poland. Actually, the worst life expectancy and poverty rates in the whole EU (even worse than some regions primarily inhabited by Roma in Bulgaria and Romania) are to be found in parts of Strathclyde...

Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Yeah, Poland actually is considered a developed country by the UN, Moldova is by far the poorest country in Europe.

The worst poverty rates are not to be found in Strathclyde either. The area is pretty poor but is not the poorest in the EU by any means. The poorest areas according to the EU are all in the former Commie states such as Bulgaria.

As for poorest in Western Europe, parts of southern Italy are hard to beat.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:36 AM

170 posts, read 769,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So would anyone still refer to Berlin as an Eastern European city? I wonder how much of the communist legacy is left in the former East Germany in terms of the Soviet style buildings and such. I know the Wall was right there and it was all part of the Warsaw Pact. I noticed some people did vote for eastern Germany as where Eastern Europe begins. Often Germany as a whole is referred to both as Central and Western.

Berlin isnt "Eastern European". The whole West Berlin doesnt look different from any other Western European city. Only some Eastern outskirts in former East Berlin could pass as Warsaw etc.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 AM

355 posts, read 977,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah, Poland actually is considered a developed country by the UN, Moldova is by far the poorest country in Europe.

The worst poverty rates are not to be found in Strathclyde either. The area is pretty poor but is not the poorest in the EU by any means. The poorest areas according to the EU are all in the former Commie states such as Bulgaria.

As for poorest in Western Europe, parts of southern Italy are hard to beat.
Not Strathclyde as a whole, but fairly recently there were reports of districts of Glasgow and Paisley which have life expectancies in the mid-50's and unemployment in the 50-75 percent range. Nowhere in Bulgaria, Romania and Southern Italy it gets THAT bad, although as a whole these regions are obviously much poorer than say, SW Scotland, or even the whole of Strathclyde. Basically, although the regions (within the EU) with the biggest problems are found in SE-Europe, the districts with the most deprivation are mostly found in and around Glasgow...

Old 01-05-2012, 06:38 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Are there any reports of life expectancy in deprived suburbs of other cities in Europe? I don't think there is, so the comparison cannot be made.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,112,000 times
I guess that for the general public, it means Slavic Europe. A gross generalization, I know,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe