Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,524 times

Advertisements

Looking for a civil service job on Germany as a nurse, any encouraging words?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:23 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Try USAJobs.com, it's about the only way you'll find a GS job in Germany without already working for the government. There is one opening at Grafenwohr, but it's a GS-0610-09 so it only pays $41.5K/yr. I suspect there are other allowances (such as COLA) involved, but I was never a civil servant while stationed overseas...

http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/305850500

Just remember that you'd be "Emergency Essential" which means you would be eligible to deploy. I believe all GS jobs require that these days, but essentially it means you could be sent to Afghanistan if the need arises.

Outside of that, I would recommend finding a nursing position locally and then try working a job overseas.

Or if you can get over to an area that has a hospital on your own, chances are you'll have no problem finding a job. Most places are usually looking for qualified nurses as local hires, as many dependents...errrr...family members are qualified nurses and it's easier/cheaper to hire that way then to pay someone to move over.

Good luck! M2

Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Jobs zu krankenschwester

Need I mention you need to be fluent in German
Getting your foreign qualification accredited in Germany might be difficult. Unless you are from within the EU, in that case it's somewhat easier.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM

254 posts, read 1,207,540 times
I'd recommend the usajobs.com website also. The major U.S. hospital in Germany is at Landstuhl near Kaiserslautern.
Lots of downsizing overseas (and stateside) right now due to budget and other issues. Wiesbaden, Stuttgart, and Grafenwohr may be locations for the largest U.S. clinics left there. Possibly Bitburg/Spangdahlem area also.

There may be other websites for medical contractors you may need to search for. I knew several U.S. medical personnel that were contracted to work in Germany, but I'm not sure how they were recruited.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:29 AM

Um, is he or she only looking for a job associated with the military?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:28 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
There are over 1,000 civilian jobs leaving Germany in the next 9 months.
They're seriously drawing down military and civilian ranks in Europe.
Nursing isn't as difficult as some civil service series.

There are some contract positions available but the benefit packages are different and I don't know how to direct you to the companies.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Um, is he or she only looking for a job associated with the military?
Most government service in Germany is usually associated with the DoD, but there could also be State Department positions. I am sure there are a few medical positions at the US Embassy in Berlin as well as possibly the consulates in Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Leipzig, and München; however, they are not showing any openings on the Embassy's website.

So his/her best choices would be with the military, as they do have the largest presence and therefor the greatest opportunities for finding a nursing position...

Cheers! M2

Old 12-29-2011, 01:07 PM

OK, but what I meant was whether or not s/he is also looking for a job with a German employer, for instance at a university hospital
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe