Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:23 AM

268 posts, read 878,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Hi, I have a couple more questions. I heard that they do not have many spices over there, of course I wasn't really told by my contact what they do have. I assume since they have italian cuisine, it must be things like oregano, basil etc.,... Do you know if they actually grow fresh herbs such as dill, cilantro, parsley? I guess I can pack spices in my suitcases. I like to cook, so to be in a foreign land and not have access to my spices...The bread must be different than american bread? I have a wicked picky eater. I am going to take peanut butter with me.
You can find spices (fresh or not fresh) over there. Basilicum, oregano etc ...are available. And it's not that the good life came in by the introduction of Italian cuisine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,552 times
Tarragon, you have nothing to worry about!!! I am from the small village called plav about three hours from Podgorica. Podgorica is a beautiful city, and they transformation mode right now so they are becoming americanized. The food over there is tooooooo dieeee for you'll love it, and everything is fresh there. They dont play games in montenegro if the foods bad they throw it away not like most american restaurants. Also your son will have a great time over there because all the people are soooo friendly as long as he doesn't try to cause problems. The worst part about Podgorica is that there public transportation is so expensive because many people use it because gas prices are so high. The other bad thing is that they have cigangke(gypsies) that will get in your face, and beg you for money otherwise all is good. Drugs in Montenegro are a BIG NO NO!!!! If someone is caught even with one joint they get a minimum one year in prison with the lynching once a week it is cruel, but intended to make a point. Also bring your camry because we brought over a mercedes SUV, and the amount of gas that thing wastes over there is stupid it costs about 80 euros(105USD) every 3 days to fill it up. I'm also leaving June 14th for Crna Gora, and will be staying in Podgorica for that night with my brother in laws family because after a certain time long haul busses stop routing. If you have any questions let me know because i pretty much know everything over there im there every summer i love it!!! and by the way there will be gym and it will be like 20 euros(26USD) a month so your good there. Be careful however, everything is in Kilos, and you could severely hurt yourself. A few words you might want to learn before your go over there.....(sta ima--Whats up, Zdravo--Hello, cao--hello, jedan-one, dva-two, tre--three, chetri-4, pet-5, 6--shes, sedam--7,,,,,,Prijatno-bye, Hvala- thank you!!!
I hope you have a good time. SRECAN PUT!!! DOBRO DOSLI U NASU DRZAVU!(have a safe trip)(welcome to our beloved land).

Old 03-05-2015, 07:18 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer View Post
To begin with, Podgorica is not a beautiful city, it is more or less completely built by communists so the architecture is unappealing. Still, lately a lot has been invested in urban infrastructure, new malls, streets reconstructions, etc. People from Montenegro are pretty attractive, tall, and like to take care of themselves, so I am sure you will easily find some decent fitness studios there.

Montenegro is tiny but VERY diverse and really beautiful, both the coast and mountainous inland. The problem on the coast is huge amount of recent Russian investments, which results in overdevelopment in some places. Montenegro drivers are considered to be a bit crazy, but you get used to that stuff.

All in all, I think this could be a great experience for a curious person.

Good luck
Unfortunate about all the Soviet architecture in the main city.

Interesting you mentioned that the people would be attractive? How different could they be from say next door Croatians?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 AM

319 posts, read 395,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Unfortunate about all the Soviet architecture in the main city.

Interesting you mentioned that the people would be attractive? How different could they be from say next door Croatians?
You mean next door Serbians, or Bosnians? Or Albanians ?

I doubt Montenegro has "Soviet" architecture since it was never part of the Soviet Union, not even a satelite state of it.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
I doubt Montenegro has "Soviet" architecture since it was never part of the Soviet Union, not even a satelite state of it.
Well, that basically dismisses this statement then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer
To begin with, Podgorica is not a beautiful city, it is more or less completely built by communists so the architecture is unappealing.
That's the statement that made it sound like Podgorica was like that.

But, it sounds like, according to you, that statement is incorrect.

That's the problem with message boards, you never know who may or may not be a reliable source.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:07 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,847 times
Generally speaking...Montenegrin's have a reputation for being some of the laziest and most leisurely people in the Ex-Yugos. Just google: jokes about Montenegrins.

With that in mind, chances are, he will work very little and generally have more time to himself. Other than that...the country is very cheap and beaches are very beautiful. If anything your going to be on vacation.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:35 PM

18 posts, read 24,353 times
The only thing I heard about Montenegro is that those people are quite tall, and they may be the tallest people in the world. With only about 620,000 population, they have a lot of 200 cm+ guys and 190 cm is very common and not be considered tall there. Especially younger generation in MOntenegro, some friends told me most of young high school kids are 190cm or taller.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:29 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallwestman View Post
The only thing I heard about Montenegro is that those people are quite tall, and they may be the tallest people in the world. With only about 620,000 population, they have a lot of 200 cm+ guys and 190 cm is very common and not be considered tall there. Especially younger generation in MOntenegro, some friends told me most of young high school kids are 190cm or taller.
Croats are also very tall. Croatia is the epicenter of the I haplogroup of Y-DNA (male DNA), which tends to produce very tall people.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:55 PM

7,216 posts, read 3,089,777 times
Montenegro have beautiful coast and mountains. Every summer I am in Montenegro.
Part of coastal Montenegro has Venetian architectural influence due to Venetian rule in the past. For example Kotor was part of Venetian Republic from 1420 to 1797 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotor#History

Perast https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perast

Herceg Novi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herceg_Novi

Sveti Stefan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sveti_Stefan

Bay of Kotor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_of_Kotor

Durmitor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durmitor

Prokletije https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prokletije

Last edited by Nino Bellov; 11-20-2018 at 09:06 PM..

Old 11-30-2018, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 1,849 times
Thanx for the pics! Love Crna Gora (that is how they call it)
There are a lot of places of interest and a picturesque landscape. Adriatic Sea - one love
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe