Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I don't really care... But hundreds of thousands of people leave Turkey every year and it has a lower development index..

Fileemographic balance, 2010 (1 000 persons).png - Statistics Explained

List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think you're pretty confused and need to have the statistics explained to you (because obviously the website isn't doing it very well on its own). The stats you posted for demographic change is net immigration into the country which means that Turkey had the largest surplus of the entire list of people trying to get into Turkey. I'm sure there are lots of people leaving Turkey every year, but the stats you posted don't show that and only show that there are a lot of people moving into Turkey. We are talking about incredible amounts of immigration into Turkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM

119 posts, read 150,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No, he certainly does considering how he qualified his statements as regions of Turkey rather than the country as a whole. Turkey, as a very large country, has very uneven development. You can see this in other countries as well such as Brazil and India where some states have levels of development (actually measured by the same HDI for countries, but keep in mind that the Brazil and India state stats are both from 2005 and both countries have been booming) that are fairly high with some states about equal to some of the countries of the EU (and often of about the same size and population if not bigger). This same trend holds for regions of Turkey.

Is that easier to understand using that analogy?
I don't care about Brazil or India. Show me relevant statistics of Turkey which compares to Greece. Or go cherry picking for "coastal parts" of Turkey and provide some actual data on it.

Quote:
No,Turks are really warm people.I've been to Turkey and belive me it's more developed than many of EU countries.(Not England,Italy,Norway etc. but Bulgaria,Romania,Croita etc.)
They left Turkey when Germany was looking for labours and they sent more after that.But now,as it's developing quite rapidly,nearly no one leaves Turkey.
No, its not. It's not even close.

Quote:
That's what i mean.I've only been to Ankara which is surrounded by steps but the rest provinces i've been are all by the coast.Izmir,Istanbul etc.. No effense but they're really more developed than the cities in Bulgaria,Romania,Greece...etc.Not like Germany,France,England,but still.
I still call this BS. I don't care if hes been to Turkey or wherever his uncle may live.

I have also been to Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey but I like facts and actual data over subjective perceptions.

You following so far?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidee View Post
I don't care about Brazil or India. Show me relevant statistics of Turkey which compares to Greece. Or go cherry picking for "coastal parts" of Turkey and provide some actual data on it.

No, its not. It's not even close.

I still call this BS. I don't care if hes been to Turkey or wherever his uncle may live.

I have also been to Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey but I like facts and actual data over subjective perceptions.

You following so far?
I'm sorry, have you even been to any of these places? I'm not sure how you can have not immediately caught on.

You can call it cherrypicking if you want, but the guy specifically said the coastal parts of Turkey and made that really clear. You're asking about another debate here and not actual contending anything he says.

I don't understand how you feel confident enough to comment so concretely on things, but actually haven't come across the very obvious issue of unequal development in the regions of Turkey. There are so many papers and articles on it, I'm not even sure where to begin.

If you were actually curious about the issue and not just looking to argue, here is a very detailed analysis of the situation.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 AM

562 posts, read 989,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linate View Post
Racial tension?Between?
You're right about rebel young Turks.They are in the opinion of "fighting the system".I still think that with a low growing population,Germany needs them
Turks and Ethnic Germans, though I would only go so far to say there are signs of it, not like the verge of an all out race war like there are in some of our major cities here.

I can't comment on what Germany needs, I will leave that to its citizens. They will sort it out, the immigration certainly has its benefits.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 AM

29 posts, read 61,861 times
I'm just saying that coastal areas are more developed,you asked for datas but HDI only shows the whole country.And,hey,easy.if you've been there like you said,you'd know it.I still can't understand why you got so nervous about that.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
I think you're pretty confused and need to have the statistics explained to you (because obviously the website isn't doing it very well on its own). The stats you posted for demographic change is net immigration into the country which means that Turkey had the largest surplus of the entire list of people trying to get into Turkey. I'm sure there are lots of people leaving Turkey every year, but the stats you posted don't show that and only show that there are a lot of people moving into Turkey. We are talking about incredible amounts of immigration into Turkey.
I am not sure about that... just look at the birth rate ( live births ), I think that explains.
http://bit.ly/GVajLQ
Plus - there are some Syrians that immigrated to Turkey. Other than that, there is not known "big wave" of immigration into Turkey. However some German-Turks returned to Turkey ( last year 8,159 ) mostly due to Germany’s huge integration deficits.
http://kamilpasha.com/?p=5009

Here is a good article about how German Turks struggle to find their identity
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...795299,00.html

Last edited by elnina; 03-27-2012 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,617 times
Quote:
The Marmara and Aegean regions of Turkey are especially developed while much of the Eastern and Southeastern Anatolia regions are especially under-developed. That basically causes Turkey to have an overall HDI lower than many European countries even though the Marmara and Aegean regions combined are probably more developed and more populous than several EU countries.
Probably... that's an assumption. When I say there are probably aliens in Nevada, does that make it true if I don't present any facts?

What you are doing is comparing apples to oranges. Sure, you can compare Turkey's best developed region to Bulgaria's worst developed region, but who would do that? I am sure the Eastern European regions with the highest HDI are on par with those in Turkey. You can't cherry-pick one country's worst and compare it to another country's best area.

Last edited by Rob702; 03-27-2012 at 12:20 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 12:37 PM

29 posts, read 61,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Probably... that's an assumption. When I say there are probably aliens in Nevada, does that make it true if I don't present any facts?

What you are doing is comparing apples to oranges. Sure, you can compare Turkey's best developed region to Bulgaria's worst developed region, but who would do that? I am sure the Eastern European regions with the highest HDI are on par with those in Turkey. You can't cherry-pick one country's worst and compare it to another country's best area.
No,I think he's comparing Istanbul to Sofia or Athens.Not the best parts of Turkey and the worsts of Eastern Europe
Anyway,let's get back to the topic

Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
And how does "darker skinned Muslim" equal "Turk" ? Most Turks are not even dark skinned. That dosen't make any sense - @ the person above me.
It is called *stereo typing* ...
Happens everywhere !

We lived in Germany a long time, and I am a brown-face.
Wife is *white*, kids look like Pacific Islanders.
Very few figured out where I came from, and we did drive a VW bus.
We just made sure we did not have a luggage rack on top of the bus so that people did not think we were *Turkish* ...

P.S. Last sentence will only make sense if you are from Germany ...

Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am not sure about that... just look at the birth rate ( live births ), I think that explains.
Fileemographic balance, 2010 (1 000 persons).png - Statistics Explained
Plus - there are some Syrians that immigrated to Turkey. Other than that, there is not known "big wave" of immigration into Turkey. However some German-Turks returned to Turkey ( last year 8,159 ) mostly due to Germany’s huge integration deficits.
Kamil Pasha » Educated German-Turks Returning to Turkey

Here is a good article about how German Turks struggle to find their identity
At Home in a Foreign Country: German Turks Struggle to Find Their Identity - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International
Data's from eurostats which is the link the guy posted. I'm fine with talking about the nuances of who is actually migrating to Turkey, but he was obviously trying to field that info as evidence of massive Turkish immigration out of the country when the stats had neither the resolution to show that (since it was only net migration) nor had a huge negative balance (it actually had a huge positive balance meaning a lot of people arriving in Turkey).

Much of Turkey's large immigration numbers can be attributed to its eastern neighbors especially Syria and Iraq who have been going through some rather tumultuous times.

Anyhow, I'm glad we're back on topic to some extent. A lot of the Turks who emigrated as guest workers to Germany were involved in fairly hard labor and generally from the poorer and less educated parts of Turkey. In some ways, it parallels some of the US's relationship with Mexico--much of the Mexican population that emigrates to the US are lower on the socioeconomic ladder and leaves the general public in the US to perceive Mexico as a whole to be far further down the socioeconomic ladder than it really is.

It is generally not the well-to-do or well-educated who emigrate en masse for economic reasons, but the impoverished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe