Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 AM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
And until when one considers his nationality is that of their ancestors? Because the second or third born american generation of europeans inmigrants, for me, are more americans than europeans.
Why would you even talk about the "old" nationality, when everyone is brought to a new land, with idea of starting a new nation? I mean wasn't it the whole idea behind it? Or do you think that people were coming to the US in order to retain their old identity?
Of course the third-born generation is not "Europeans" any longer, but Americans. Because if not, what are "Americans"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
And until when one considers his nationality is that of their ancestors? Because the second or third born american generation of europeans inmigrants, for me, are more americans than europeans.

They are Americans of European ancestry. But due to the primitive fact that "cada oveja con su pareja" (Likes seeks like), they will be always more European that somebody from Nepal in its fifth generation in Europe.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 AM

That's where the Soviet system of "class division" was already at work, but not at the level of school education, as it is in the United States, where the quality of school education depends on income and kind of neighborhood, if I put it in standard terms. If, however, I'll put in in non-standard terms, the academic requirements in average American public schools are at least two grades below the average Soviet school.

PS. Sorry for the off-top, but you kinda brought this subject yourself.[/quote]

Sorry you had to go to a Model school with the son of proletarians!!!! With no special "experimental" programs, with almost no foreign student, an Iraki!!, please!! Yes, children of Nomenklatura had access to privileged schools (mainly army academies) because they could pay private classes (the key to inequality)....and had access to textbooks and info most other don't (travels to the west, bourgeois origin, etc).

And of course, there were marginal schools for proletarians were people were diverted to work in factories. The education in the US is not comparable, since it places all responsability on the children and parents and..how could you even compare?

Last edited by cojoncillo; 07-30-2012 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 10:46 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Your teacher was correct from the "Old World" point of view. He was incorrect from the "New World" point of view, because the "New World" has a different concept of what "nationality" is.
ha. Go to any border crossing and try arguing that one.

Whatever it says on your passport - that's your nationality.

Whatever countries you want to say your ancestors are from - that's your ethnicity

Old 07-30-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Why would you even talk about the "old" nationality, when everyone is brought to a new land, with idea of starting a new nation? I mean wasn't it the whole idea behind it? Or do you think that people were coming to the US in order to retain their old identity?
Of course the third-born generation is not "Europeans" any longer, but Americans. Because if not, what are "Americans"?

As a staunch Soviet soldier, you must know know that human beings do no eat "slogans" and defecate "orders of the day".

So if you settle a country with Finnish and you settle the country besides with Russians, in 100 years you are going to have a Finno-Russian war and Russians will win a region after loosing 2.000.000 men.

Where are all your lofty ideals now? In the mud.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
ha. Go to any border crossing and try arguing that one.

Whatever it says on your passport - that's your nationality.

Whatever countries you want to say your ancestors are from - that's your ethnicity

Not really, that depends on the country. As Europeans start to disappear, you'll see European countries granting citizenship to anybody that can show he had a great-great-great-great-great-great...granfather from that place

Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think this became the fashion in the USA when the black Americans started to call themselves African Americans. So the "white" Americans whose families originally came from European countries started to identify themselves as being Americans from those countries.
this has never been true.

"african-american" has only been in common usage for ~30 years.

everyone from my grandparents and great-grandparents generation has always been well aware of what country they or their parents came from.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Mostly false information.
Whenever somebody arrived into the New World, he changed his name, age, place of origin and marital status.
Why? They left a pregnant sweetheart, they were from some religious minority not well regarded not even in the US, they had debts, they were deserters, they killed a man, etc, etc.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Not really, that depends on the country. As Europeans start to disappear, you'll see European countries granting citizenship to anybody that can show he had a great-great-great-great-great-great...granfather from that place
Nationality - 1. The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization.
in other words, the name of the country on your passport. Unless you have multiple passports you only have one nationality

ethnicity - an ethnic quality or affiliation resulting from racial or cultural ties.

ethnic - Of, relating to, or characteristic of a sizable group of people sharing a common and distinctive racial, national, religious, linguistic, or cultural heritage.

I've recently applied for my italian passport because I have a right to Italian citizenship through my great-grandfather. When I land in Milan my nationality is Italian. When I land back in Philly my nationality is American.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It reflects miscellaneous little things that set apart different ethnic groups when they came to the US. I have Irish, French, and some German. My fraction German side became very embarrassed of Germany during the 20th Century, so tried to be as 'American' as possible, and there was never any talk about German roots.
A lot of americans don't realize that regional languages in this country only started to disappear after WWI.

Until then French was still common in New Orleans and the border regions with Quebec/New Brunswick - and the Walloon version in Wisconsin. Dutch could still be heard in northern NJ and adjacent parts of NY. German was common in Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, etc. up until WWII

Spanish has always been common in the southwest.

Not that everyone spoke these languages but they were languages of home and hearth and most of the people speaking them were 2nd or 3rd generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe